• The KillerFrogs

A new report on the Big East initial ESPN offer

mtmedlin

http://www.cbssports.com/colle...-to-big-changes

It says we were offered a 9 year $1.4 billion contract and we turned it down. Thats MUCH higher then previously reported. Thats $155.5 million a year...not the $100 - $130 million a year. That works out to about $6 million per basketball and $11.8 per football...or in other words, we were being offered as much as the ACC in the first, non competitive offer.
Now, if you look at the ACC deal they were initially offered $110 million but after the bidding it ended up at $155. If we got a comparable increase it would work out to about $208 million per year. The estimate was that each bball school would get about $6 million per team which leaves $160 million or $17.778 per football team. Given we arent guranteed that same percentage but I dont think its out of the question, especially since we will have more bidders.

mtmedlin

I wonder if the ACC deal can be negotiated downward once UNC and The U get molly-whopped by the NCAA

Oh lets not forget Georgia Tech got caught too. 25% of their conference has gotten nailed in the last year...and the other 75% are scared the NCAA is looking.

Scarface

It says we were offered a 9 year $1.4 billion contract and we turned it down. Thats MUCH higher then previously reported. Thats $155.5 million a year...not the $100 - $130 million a year. That works out to about $6 million per basketball and $11.8 per football...or in other words, we were being offered as much as the ACC in the first, non competitive offer.
Now, if you look at the ACC deal they were initially offered $110 million but after the bidding it ended up at $155. If we got a comparable increase it would work out to about $208 million per year. The estimate was that each bball school would get about $6 million per team which leaves $160 million or $17.778 per football team. Given we arent guranteed that same percentage but I dont think its out of the question, especially since we will have more bidders.

If Marinatto can keep the football schools at nine teams with each of those receiving between $14 and 18 Million per year it would be one heck of a great setup for each football program.

There is no better way of competing year in and year out for a conference championship and a BCS Bowl berth than to be in an AQ Conference with nine teams, four IC games at home and four away for each team, with no championship game.

This is what TCU is wanting and shooting for!

Go Frogs!

screetch

Not to be surly mt, but I told you that a week ago...
http://www.killerfrogs.com/msgboard/index.php?showtopic=139818&st=0&p=891083&#entry891083

It says we were offered a 9 year $1.4 billion contract and we turned it down. Thats MUCH higher then previously reported.

I believe I told you that the offer was more than originally reported about 10 days ago...but you weren't paying attention.
tongue.gif

http://www.killerfrogs.com/msgboard/index.php?showtopic=139632&view=findpost&p=887879

Scarface

TCU may want it but TCU isnt going to get it. The BE is going to expand or die. We need at least 12 and we need it by next year.

Don't get too excited! The Big East would be taking a bit of a step down from TCU in their effort to expand furthur if the conference took the three Big 12 schools KU, KSU and ISU.

TCU is all-time 16-8-4 against The Univ. of Kansas, 3-2 versus Kansas State and a perfect 3-0 playing Iowa State. TCU is 22-10-4 all-time (.688) versus the three Big 12 would-be escapees. Also, we are 1-1 against scared-of-the-SEC Mizzou.

Just saying!

Nonetheless, any three of the four would be OK.

Go Frogs!

mtmedlin

I dont think its taking a step down when your adding one of the premier basketball programs of all times. Also, we could pick up several football rich markets. I mean really, look at Colorado. It was able to add value to the Pac12 contract. I think we would be doing fine with those three. Plus we all know the ones we really want is Mizzou and Kansas. Mizzou would lead our entire conference in attendance.

btw...your also 1-1 against USF (let the trashtalk begin) :)

and for the others that mentioned you told me about the amount....Mia culpa. I hadnt read any reports that said more then $110-$130 million. This report that I read was the first time that I have seen that number. You were correct.

froginaustin

Don't get too excited! The Big East would be taking a bit of a step down from TCU in their effort to expand furthur if the conference took the three Big 12 schools KU, KSU and ISU.

TCU is all-time 16-8-4 against The Univ. of Kansas, 3-2 versus Kansas State and a perfect 3-0 playing Iowa State. TCU is 22-10-4 all-time (.688) versus the three Big 12 would-be escapees. Also, we are 1-1 against scared-of-the-SEC Mizzou.

J. . ..
And at least a few of these wins were in years when TCU didn't win much else, I suppose.

If expansion is about football, I don't understand BE posters and officials drooling over football programs that are LOUSY over time and present day, attached to better or absolutely top-flight basketball programs. Football drives the bus. Really?

I don't know who else is available that is any better in football, assuming that teams from the old Big 8 are in fact available. But it nevertheless astounds me that the conference seems to be chasing bad football programs that are living off the reputations of basketball.

If the conference depends on the Kansas schools or Iowa State playing football to survive, maybe it's not going to make it.

mtmedlin

And at least a few of these wins were in years when TCU didn't win much else, I suppose.

If expansion is about football, I don't understand BE posters and officials drooling over football programs that are LOUSY over time and present day, attached to better or absolutely top-flight basketball programs. Football drives the bus. Really?

I don't know who else is available that is any better in football, assuming that teams from the old Big 8 are in fact available. But it nevertheless astounds me that the conference seems to be chasing bad football programs that are living off the reputations of basketball.

If the conference depends on the Kansas schools or Iowa State playing football to survive, maybe it's not going to make it.

We need to get to 12 to maximize out contract. The biggest problem with the BE is that we have not been financially able to pay coaches and staff enough to stay and to build programs. Just think about the coaches that have left and where the programs would be if they had stayed. WV, Lousiville and Cinci would all be major players but we lost them cause we dont make enough.
Adding three teams will help and our choices are CUSA teams that are unproved at the AQ level or teams like ISU, Kansas and KSU which have at least competed at this level and at times been competitive. Add in their very solid basketball programs and they are a much better fit.
Basketabll is important to the football members. Along with Notre Dame , seven of us made it to the NCAA tourney, so it is something we would like to build upon. Laslty, is academics. ISU and Kansas are AAU universities and would increase the BE image. That would give us 4 AAU and 5 Tier One research institutes. Thats pretty solid. Were not getting ND or any other top program in football to join but we can add teams that bring value, academic prestige and other sports. Those three also would fit in nicely if we decided to do what the Pac12 did in regional networks.
This move is about money and many other factors that arent football related.