• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Purp

2-0 US wins. They qualify for the U20 WC and play in the semis for a spot in the Olympics next. Nice little post game brawl too.
I watched the first half and first 10 minutes of the 2nd half before my softball games last night. It wasn't a very compelling game. U.S. created a lot more and better quality great scoring chances, but didn't feel like they dominated. Aaronson was effective scoring goals, but didn't seem prominent in any other way like his brother always is. Caden Clark was involved, but got dispossessed a lot. I'll keep watching, but I'm not expecting any of these kids to make an impact in the full team in the next 2 years based on what I saw.

Moose Stuff

I watched the first half and first 10 minutes of the 2nd half before my softball games last night. It wasn't a very compelling game. U.S. created a lot more and better quality great scoring chances, but didn't feel like they dominated. Aaronson was effective scoring goals, but didn't seem prominent in any other way like his brother always is. Caden Clark was involved, but got dispossessed a lot. I'll keep watching, but I'm not expecting any of these kids to make an impact in the full team in the next 2 years based on what I saw.
Probably not much beyond some depth in this group. Also worth noting Musah, Reyna (if healthy obviously), Pepi, Scally, and Gabe Slonina are all young enough to have been on this team.

Purp

Murican kids were thoroughly dominant in the first half. 3 goals and should have had more. 2nd half has been more passive. Fun game to watch. Starting to become a typical nasty CONCACAF game now. Ref needs to get control before someone gets hurt unnecessarily.

Purp

This was a good read. Didn't remember his move to ARSEnal. I suspect he'll be loaned out or playing with the reserves initially, but hopefully he keeps progressing and breaks through. We could use another center back to send Aaron Long the way of John Brooks.

Chongo94

This was a good read. Didn't remember his move to ARSEnal. I suspect he'll be loaned out or playing with the reserves initially, but hopefully he keeps progressing and breaks through. We could use another center back to send Aaron Long the way of John Brooks.

I remember this move. Thought they loaned him back for a year but I guess not. Will be interesting to see if he develops further.

Purp

Not a surprise, but good to see this go through. Interesting that Aaronson is valued 67% more than Adams. I think those valuations are inverted and Leeds are getting a real bargain here. Excited to follow Leeds this fall.

Purp

U-20s have thoroughly dominated the semis and final.

Luna may be more impressive than Dest in terms of individual skill 1v1. He had a couple of wow moments tonight. Just supremely creative, slippery plays to advance a play.

Craig as a center back is solid and definitely a better set piece server than anybody on the senior team. Almost every set piece was dangerous and perfectly delivered.

Aaronson and Sullivan are composed goal scorers. P Aaronson has a lot of his brother in him. He's everywhere and pesky.

In general, the midfielders are excellent distributors. Central and outside they all pass very well and move well off the ball. They create a ton of dangerous through balls behind the back line with their patience and IQ.

I wasn't as high after the quarterfinal I saw, but these last 2 matches have been impressive. I'm still not sure Caden Clark is the next best young player coming up after seeing him 3 times in this setting. He's got a ton of ability and shows flashes, but almost always lacks that last bit of quality whether it be on the final pass or the finish.

Cuevas similarly has an enormous amount of physical ability, but he's still a ways from putting it all together.

I think we'll see a few of these guys on the senior team in 2026.

Moose Stuff

U-20s have thoroughly dominated the semis and final.

Luna may be more impressive than Dest in terms of individual skill 1v1. He had a couple of wow moments tonight. Just supremely creative, slippery plays to advance a play.

Craig as a center back is solid and definitely a better set piece server than anybody on the senior team. Almost every set piece was dangerous and perfectly delivered.

Aaronson and Sullivan are composed goal scorers. P Aaronson has a lot of his brother in him. He's everywhere and pesky.

In general, the midfielders are excellent distributors. Central and outside they all pass very well and move well off the ball. They create a ton of dangerous through balls behind the back line with their patience and IQ.

I wasn't as high after the quarterfinal I saw, but these last 2 matches have been impressive. I'm still not sure Caden Clark is the next best young player coming up after seeing him 3 times in this setting. He's got a ton of ability and shows flashes, but almost always lacks that last bit of quality whether it be on the final pass or the finish.

Cuevas similarly has an enormous amount of physical ability, but he's still a ways from putting it all together.

I think we'll see a few of these guys on the senior team in 2026.
I thought Luna was the worst player on the field in two of the previous games I watched. I’d be very surprised if that body type holds up as he matures. It’s a bad athletic look with nowhere to go but south.

Purp

I thought Luna was the worst player on the field in two of the previous games I watched. I’d be very surprised if that body type holds up as he matures. It’s a bad athletic look with nowhere to go but south.
His body reminds me of the Brazilian Ronaldo. He definitely doesn't have a midfielder's body and I expect that's something he'll improve as he develops as a pro. If he doesn't we likely won't hear much from him.