• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Portland Frog

Pulisic on the scoresheet in Chelsea’s 3-nil win @ Leicester today. Chelsea looking increasingly like they’ll canter to the title. Thirty scored, four conceded. They’re playing really good football right now.
Yep and Lukaku and Werner aren’t even back from injuries yet.

dawg

It’s pathetic that Arsenal will lose once again to Liverpool by a score of 3-0 (at least) but that 3rd goal, wow, what a beauty.
Yeah, this one hurts. I expected a loss, but a loss with progress. A 4-3, 3-2. This was a full-strength Arsenal side (as opposed to the B team rolled out in the 1st three matches of the season due to CoVID and injuries), although I’d rather Tierney at LB. And we still got played off the pitch. Sigh.

The summer window is looking a success: Ramsdale is the future England #1 and Ben White is forming a solid partnership with Gabriel. We’re probably two or three similar quality windows away. Youngest average age in the league, Saka, Tierney, and ESR will only get better. Hope, but there’s been false dawns before.

Chongo94

Yeah, this one hurts. I expected a loss, but a loss with progress. A 4-3, 3-2. This was a full-strength Arsenal side (as opposed to the B team rolled out in the 1st three matches of the season due to CoVID and injuries), although I’d rather Tierney at LB. And we still got played off the pitch. Sigh.

The summer window is looking a success: Ramsdale is the future England #1 and Ben White is forming a solid partnership with Gabriel. We’re probably two or three similar quality windows away. Youngest average age in the league, Saka, Tierney, and ESR will only get better. Hope, but there’s been false dawns before.
Totally agree. Really surprised but pleased with how well the recruitment has gone. Actually gives me a bit of hope moving forward.

And I feel like they’re starting to get it with Arteta a bit more but it’s still gonna take time.

Purp

Neat piece on Caden Clark. Sounds like it's a done deal that he transfers to Leipzig in the winter window. They could use a lethal scorer. Hope he gets a lot of PT there. He's another exciting prospect for the USMNT.

Moose Stuff

Neat piece on Caden Clark. Sounds like it's a done deal that he transfers to Leipzig in the winter window. They could use a lethal scorer. Hope he gets a lot of PT there. He's another exciting prospect for the USMNT.

Yep. I like him.

geefrogs

I'd like to do an inventory of "former club legends brought in to coach their old team"

Those who are a decade or more from having put the kit on. (Not Arteta not Xavi) more like Koeman and Ole.

Who has it worked for?

dawg

I'd like to do an inventory of "former club legends brought in to coach their old team"

Those who are a decade or more from having put the kit on. (Not Arteta not Xavi) more like Koeman and Ole.

Who has it worked for?
This guy did ok…

159549-pfenurnloy-1622115582.jpg

No holder had defended the Champions League (in its post 1992 format) when he arrived as Madrid manager. He did. Then did it again for giggles. Not to mention two La Ligas. All while managing the worlds most insane egos, at the worlds most insane club.

dawg

Conte at Juventus (five Serie A titles and a Champions League as a player, four leagues as boss) also bears mention. Ancelotti at Milan, too.

Going to the way back machine, Cruyff @ Barça. Managerial accomplishments: Four La Ligas, the European Cup, and La Masia.

geefrogs

This guy did ok…

159549-pfenurnloy-1622115582.jpg

No holder had defended the Champions League (in its post 1992 format) when he arrived as Madrid manager. He did. Then did it again for giggles. Not to mention two La Ligas. All while managing the worlds most insane egos, at the worlds most insane club.
I like to block this from my memory for obvious reasons :)