• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Why Sonny Dykes is excited about TCU’s new defense

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Why Sonny Dykes is excited about TCU’s new defense

By Steven Johnson

CT_TCUfirstpractice_10.jpg

The TCU football program has entered a new era on defense under new coordinator Andy Avalos and the early returns from spring training camp show why head coach Sonny Dykes was so eager to bring Avalos into the program.

Practice No. 5 of spring ball on Monday clearly went to the defense as Avalos’ scheme led to plenty of quarterback pressure and five interceptions on defense by four different players.

Utah transfer cornerback JaTravis Broughton picked off two passes, while Avery Helm, Jordan Lester and Nevada transfer Richard Toney Jr. added interceptions as well. Despite learning a new scheme and having plenty of new faces at starting positions, the defense has been able to play with a synergy of a unit that’s been together much longer.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article287279145.html#storylink=cpy

Also at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...s-excited-about-tcu-s-new-defense/ar-BB1kTzEj

Last edited:

Palliative Care

The old defense got them to the NCG but then failed them miserably there and afterwards. I can say this about the new defensive coordinator, he is definitely more experienced than the old one was. He also has more talent this year than last year (provided they remain healthy). Will that translate into an improved group? My best guess is yes but time will tell.

Limey Frog

Well, that's nice. He liked the old defense, too...
Yeah, I'm not sayin I'm not glad to read this kind of thing. It's better than rumors of internal disarray leaking out, but I don't give a crap about anything I read about TCU football other than "[named player] is/is not injured" until we kick off in Palo Alto. It was nothing but sunshine and happy times out of spring ball and fall camp last year, then we sucked.

Frogs1983

The old defense got them to the NCG but then failed them miserably there and afterwards. I can say this about the new defensive coordinator, he is definitely more experienced than the old one was. He also has more talent this year than last year (provided they remain healthy). Will that translate into an improved group? My best guess is yes but time will tell.
Disagree. We had an Offense that outscored what that Defense gave up most games. D was never stellar that season, except for UT game and possibly 2nd half of Iowa State game when things got out of hand for Iowa State.

Palliative Care

I was saying the defense was great that year only that it did not suck so bad that it kept the team from getting to the NCG. Yes our offense made it much easier on the defense.

Palliative Care

What we need next season is more 3 and outs and turn overs. Other teams are always going to score but getting the 3&0's and and pop-tarts makes the game a down hill run.

Limey Frog

Disagree. We had an Offense that outscored what that Defense gave up most games. D was never stellar that season, except for UT game and possibly 2nd half of Iowa State game when things got out of hand for Iowa State.
We also had four or five players, including three seniors who would be drafted, playing out of their minds and making the defense go (just about) when it had to. Great players will make plays in any system, and we had just enough in 2022 to cover for the scheme's deficiencies.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Mostly true. They stiffened up when needed in most cases, allowing teams to romp down to FG range and holding them to only that. The UT match was fabulous, but it wasn't repeated. Even last season we just choked BYU to death, but the next week couldn't stop anything. It was maddening.

I am all for an attacking defense. Gillespie was more of a read and react (mostly react) philosophy, ceding the initiative to the offense. We need to remember that the defense gets a vote, too, and that attacking certain areas may lead to 1.) Big Plays for them, or 2.) Big Plays for us. Disruption of the offensive flow and timing is a good thing, and we should do more of it. Yeah, we might stunt into a big play, but we might blow up a few plays as well and get the ball from time to time.

Limey Frog

If I were Sonny, it might make me worry a little about the O-line. It's early I guess though.
O-lines usually take longer to get up to speed as a cohesive unit than defensive pass rush. And we're building one from scratch out of a group of about 15 transfers, so I would be worried if our defensive front wasn't winning battles in practice right now.