• The KillerFrogs

OT - How the Hell Did This B-17 Fly?

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
My dad flew the P-47 in WWII in Europe. He never talked about it much, but I was able to get copies of the daily squadron reports from the Air Force archives when I was at Maxwell AFB. One reported that he returned with bullet holes in the fuselage. He flew many missions and returned home on the Queen Mary when it was over. He must have thought a lot of that plane, because a few years later when his daughter (me) was born, he named her after the plane.

AroundWorldFrog

My dad flew the P-47 in WWII in Europe. He never talked about it much, but I was able to get copies of the daily squadron reports from the Air Force archives when I was at Maxwell AFB. One reported that he returned with bullet holes in the fuselage. He flew many missions and returned home on the Queen Mary when it was over. He must have thought a lot of that plane, because a few years later when his daughter (me) was born, he named her after the plane.
He named you Jug?

jk, trying to figure out a name from Thunderbolt.

NewFrogFan

My 10 years in the Thunderbolt #2 were absolutely my favorite of all the airplanes I have flown.

My 10 years in the Thunderbolt #2 were absolutely my favorite of all the airplanes I have flown.
Lots of similarity’s. Not underpowered but over dragged. Can haul a lot of hate (ordnance). Heavily armored.
A-10/p-47= pickup truck — Awesome tool, fun to drive
F-16/p-51= sports car. — higher performance but smaller cargo capability Exciting to drive

Wish I had first hand experience in wwII era fighters!

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Lots of similarity’s. Not underpowered but over dragged. Can haul a lot of hate (ordnance). Heavily armored.
A-10/p-47= pickup truck — Awesome tool, fun to drive
F-16/p-51= sports car. — higher performance but smaller cargo capability Exciting to drive

Wish I had first hand experience in wwII era fighters!
This was once a common sight over the skies of Austin, Bergstrom AFB. F 82s.

1709946203440.jpeg

Frog DJ

My uncle piloted B17s way more than the required number of flights to qualify to go home, but he refused to take advantage of the opportunity, and kept flying.

On multiple missions, his B17 was the only one to return to base. Once, my uncle read a comic book waiting for clearance to take off, and stuffed it into the map holder.

When they landed, he retrieved the comic book from the map holder and found it full of holes. At that point, his official “unofficial” nickname immediately became “Lucky.”

His copilot was repeatedly offered his own plane (with a promotion to go along with it), and he turned it down every time saying, “No way! I’m stickin’ with “Lucky!”

Go Frogs!

Boomhauer

My uncle piloted B17s way more than the required number of flights to qualify to go home, but he refused to take advantage of the opportunity, and kept flying.

On multiple missions, his B17 was the only one to return to base. Once, my uncle read a comic book waiting for clearance to take off, and stuffed it into the map holder.

When they landed, he retrieved the comic book from the map holder and found it full of holes. At that point, his official “unofficial” nickname immediately became “Lucky.”

His copilot was repeatedly offered his own plane (with a promotion to go along with it), and he turned it down every time saying, “No way! I’m stickin’ with “Lucky!”

Go Frogs!

Wow, good stuff

hometown frog

Go Frogs!
The stories that come from the fliers back in WW2 are crazy brave. Had a great uncle that flew P51s in one of the first units to fly from England and I used to love staying at his house growing up and looking thru his photos and him telling me (some) of those stories.

sounds like you had a similar close link to our history. i always felt honored to have that connection

The TCU Football Jerk

The stories that come from the fliers back in WW2 are crazy brave. Had a great uncle that flew P51s in one of the first units to fly from England and I used to love staying at his house growing up and looking thru his photos and him telling me (some) of those stories.

sounds like you had a similar close link to our history. i always felt honored to have that connection

i had a great uncle at Iwo Jima. Its one thing to see stuff in movies about it, but something entirely different in hearing someone actually fighting in it tell you their story. I remember one time at a family reunion a bunch of us were at a restaurant having breakfast when someone asked him about it. There were around 20 of us sitting around several table pulled together. That room got so quiet when one of my relatives asked him about it and he started talking. The din of everyone talking silenced once everyone realized what was happening and all you could hear was his voice. It was so amazing to hear his story and heartbreaking at the same time as he described how those around him lost their lives. He was pinned down for hours and was bleeding from taking shrapnel from some sort of ordinance that exploded near him. The whole thing about the raising of the flag after victory. Was all quite wild as a young man to hear.

NewFrogFan

i had a great uncle at Iwo Jima. Its one thing to see stuff in movies about it, but something entirely different in hearing someone actually fighting in it tell you their story. I remember one time at a family reunion a bunch of us were at a restaurant having breakfast when someone asked him about it. There were around 20 of us sitting around several table pulled together. That room got so quiet when one of my relatives asked him about it and he started talking. The din of everyone talking silenced once everyone realized what was happening and all you could hear was his voice. It was so amazing to hear his story and heartbreaking at the same time as he described how those around him lost their lives. He was pinned down for hours and was bleeding from taking shrapnel from some sort of ordinance that exploded near him. The whole thing about the raising of the flag after victory. Was all quite wild as a young man to hear.
Keep telling the story of what you remember. There is now a generation of “adults” out there that has little to no knowledge of Desert Storm let alone WWII.
Quite obvious these days that more than a few on college campus’ now, have no idea what the words “Never forget” mean.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Keep telling the story of what you remember. There is now a generation of “adults” out there that has little to no knowledge of Desert Storm let alone WWII.
Quite obvious these days that more than a few on college campus’ now, have no idea what the words “Never forget” mean.
This.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Wait. Not the nickname (…I hope).

Latest posts