• The KillerFrogs

And here we go.....12 just probably isn't enough.

Going to 14 is also about taking away the Bye from the Big 12/ACC.

With a 12 team playoff, there are four schools that get a Bye. 99% of the time that would mean the champion of the B1G, SEC, Big 12, and ACC would each get a bye.

With a 14 team playoff, there are only two schools that get a bye. 99% of the time that will be the SEC and the B1G. The Big 12 and the ACC (if it still exists) lose out.

froginmn

Good write-up here, if you're a subscriber to The Athletic:

Honestly I don't think this is much of a decision for the Big 12. Two bids to the post-season was probably the best case scenario for us already, and this would guarantee that number while leaving open the (unlikely) possibility of a third spot via one of the three at-large bids. If the ACC gets dismembered and we add teams, maybe we go up to three AQ spots and the aristocracy moves up to four each. Or maybe the Big Ten and SEC breakaway entirely, but if they want to do that we're screwed no matter what we do. I think we should probably do whatever we can to put daylight between us and the conferences below us, while remaining close enough competitively to the big two (if possible) that our best programs might be able to win some games in the CFP. This model is probably as good as it's going to get for us short of an NFL-like commitment to maintaining parity (which won't happen).
The days when they put "the best teams" in the playoff are apparently gone. Those were the good old days.

OICU812

I could live with that. If the Big 12 is guaranteed two spots that's probably a best case scenario. We could scrap the CCG, not put our best two teams through a thirteenth game and just move the top two teams in the standings into the playoff. The bummer would be that we'd never get a bye and the SEC and Big Ten champs invariably would. For that reason I'd rather just go to 16 and have no byes (if we have to expand it at all, which I'd rather not).
Just wait- the 2 acc & b12 teams will all play each other until only 1 is left, then that team will play the next week AT the home field of the #1 seed from B1G or SEC, which has had a bye until that game.

OICU812

Wexahu

This is a scheissing farce. They’ve gone so far down the road that now they’ve given up even pretending it’s about the best team. Hubris, please destroy it all.
I’d say there is about a 95% chance the two “best teams” are going to come from one of those two leagues anyway.

Limey Frog

What utter scum these people are.

I wonder if this is a bluff to get a 16-team model with no byes and no AQs. Honestly, I think we should just do that. But if we are going to have AQs, the Big XII needs to get two bids in writing ASAP then immediately nix our CCG. If the Big Ten and SEC will get guaranteed byes for their champion we should not make our two best teams beat each other up in a 13th game that gains the winner nothing. At least then both of our teams would get a de facto bye as compared to the loser of the Big Ten and SEC championship games.

Wexahu

Check your math. This format makes it 100%, so that an outlier like the 2010 or 2014 frogs has no shot.
Not much difference between 95 and 100%.

Two conferences have hoarded almost all the big money programs in the game, that is where the best teams are going to come from. They are going to pay the most for players.

EVOfrogMR

How would you determine a champion in a 16-team league without a ccg?
This is really very simple. You just get a computerized scoring system that weights the polls for that human element. It will also include prior year performance and recruiting rankings that have nothing to do with the current year’s team performance and it spits out a perfect unbiased top 2. They’d call it Best Competitor System, or just BCS for short.

Latest posts