• The KillerFrogs

Jim Torbert

Wog68

We lost a great Frog and patriot last night when Jim Torbert passed away at his home in Georgia. Jim played basketball for Buster Brannon in the '60's and coached the Wog basketball team during the 1966-67 season. An ROTC grad, Jim then went to Army flight school, and flew with the 281st Assault Helicopter Company in Vietnam. The 281st was the first special operations helicopter unit in the Army and directly supported the 5th Special Forces. Jim turned 80 on Friday. He was a wonderful friend and strong Christian.

tcudoc

We lost a great Frog and patriot last night when Jim Torbert passed away at his home in Georgia. Jim played basketball for Buster Brannon in the '60's and coached the Wog basketball team during the 1966-67 season. An ROTC grad, Jim then went to Army flight school, and flew with the 281st Assault Helicopter Company in Vietnam. The 281st was the first special operations helicopter unit in the Army and directly supported the 5th Special Forces. Jim turned 80 on Friday. He was a wonderful friend and strong Christian.
Sorry for the loss of your friend and a great horned frog.

OICU812

Salute. Was he a Lt./Cpt., flying rotary? I can’t remember when they started making those pilots Warrants, thinking it might’ve been Viet Nam to get more birds in the air faster.

Wog68

He was
Salute. Was he a Lt./Cpt., flying rotary? I can’t remember when they started making those pilots Warrants, thinking it might’ve been Viet Nam to get more birds in the air faster.
Jim was a captain in Vietnam. He was a pilot flying UH-1's.

Last edited:

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Warrant Officers have been recognized in the Army since 1918. Here is a contemporary video of Army helicopter training ca. 1968, with lots of footage from Fort Wolters. It is from "The Big Picture" series.

OICU812

We
Warrant Officers have been recognized in the Army since 1918. Here is a contemporary video of Army helicopter training ca. 1968, with lots of footage from Fort Wolters. It is from "The Big Picture" series.

Thank you, I had no idea, always assumed they were a more modern invention designed to fill a gap.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
I also remember some of the student pilots practicing "hovering" over the sun decks of the womens' dorms. After a tersely worded letter from the Dean of Women, all that activity stopped.