• The KillerFrogs

B1G and SEC begin the process of ditching the NCAA

ACC and big 12 need to hook up with all g5 schools and not play sec or big 10 ever. Let them play with themselves. Have our own championship a real playoff. Don’t give them any games out of conference or body bag games.

At best the can have a sec championship and big 10 championship. Then a championship of those two conferences. Not a legitimate national championship or playoff. Screw those greedy mofo’s. Control college football leave them out. Without any easy wins and good records no one will watch for long.

NewFrogFan

Yeah. I had to give up my tickets a couple of years ago and I found that I actually enjoy being a casual fan.

That run from 1998 through 2014 was really fun. Back in the early 2000's TCU was great about letting us lower tier fans be part of the program.

d3ccdb12-fc4e-4c0e-bb9b-52f85c4287b8_text.gif
Know how you feel. Over 15 years or so we accumulated 8 parking spots that were mostly back to back in lot 4. 6 canopies, 2 x 50 inch TV’s, 3 generators, pretty nice tailgate, wiped out w/o so much as a phone call by some mental midget that turned the lot into GA. I have not seen it close to full since then!

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
That’s exactly what the B1GSEC wants.

They’d love for the rest of college football and other athletics to self-demote to an inferior division.
Great let them play in their own sandbox and revel in those Vandy/Rutgers, Iowa/Mississippi State, Indiana/Arkansas, Northwestern/Georgia, Alabama/Purdue excitathons. Then they can make like English kickball and scrape off the bottom feeders and entice the best of us minor leaguers to claw their way into the bigs. Unfortunately, there’s always be someone willing to play their game and take an invite.

It would be kinda fun to see UT and A$M get kicked to the curb…

Last edited:

Toad Jones

Why..do we have to be related to the B10 and SEC? Personally, this means the B10/SEC, 'we don't want you 'other' guys joining our exclusive family. As a whole, you're not the same as we think we are, and we'll make sure of that! You'll just get another NCAA they control for their benefit!' Stand up and quit being a follower and be a leader. FORM your own governing body for your demographics.

For sure....!!! Change the NCAA into a Chinese mail-order clothing outlet. The NCAA headquarters would be a magnificent building to do that with!

froginaustin

I know I’m ignorant, but does basketball and baseball fall the way of football in these scenarios?

I'm more ignorant than you!

It seems to me that if football conferences need to be huge and coast-to-coast to get the TV deals they all want, there's no reason for the non-revenue sports (and basketball, that plays 2 games per week like some of the non-rev sports) not to be in local, regional conferences to save travel wear-and-tear on athletes, and also expenses for the teams.

Except that:

1. Consider that football subsidizes the other sports, and that the rich football-conference schools will have, potentially, a huge advantage in volleyball or watermelon seed spitting, or whatever non-revenue sports they choose to carry.

2. Media craves inventory, and I expect media pressures athletic departments to have inventory available from the non-rev sports, too. TV demands may discourage regional conferences for non-revs.

3. I suspect that there are other problems with separating different sports into different conferences, but I can't think of them at the moment,

4. and it's possible I'm wrong about 1 and 2, anyway.

HG73

Nothing will happen, even the B1GSEC is not stupid enough to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. They already make twice what the other conferences make. They need us little guys to provide players through the trans portal and NIL. And somebody to beat up OOC.

If they were smart they'd get rid of NIL and the trans portal and pay the players directly from the TV contracts. That way they'd get all the good players up front without having to worry about losing any players because they weren't getting playing time.

westoverhillbilly

Everybody in the SEC/B10 is going to move closer to mediocrity (or worse) over time as their competition drastically amps up. I bet most Nebraska fans long for their days in the old Big 12. I predict that OU will follow in the Huskers' footsteps in the SEC and lay an egg over time. However, if Arkansas is any effective case study, the money will keep their thirst quenched and they'll pride themselves in being the neighborhood weakling hanging with the tough guys.

I say let all those redneck schools salivate over their money while beating each other up and getting into the 12 team playoffs with 9-3 or even 8-4 records with 4 of those wins being P5/FCS teams.

I really believe there will be a market for TCU football to do what it has done sporadically for over a century- overcome great odds and win the attention and adoration of hundreds of thousands or even millions of everyday fans.

Toad Jones

One good thing might come of this, the NCAA will become a simple entity of some kind, or..... they will.... turn the NCAA headquarters into a reception port for Chinese clothing goods. Anyway, the NCAA is a bunch of thugs, and they should go to a communist union, if so, they will get along well. This governing body has become smelly gas expelled from a pig's behind.

eh0215

You don't pile all those massive programs into two conferences and then tell them they have to go 10-2 or better every year to get access to the playoffs. That'll collapse in on itself instantly following the first media renegotiation. There's 100% going to be a 12-team playoff in the future that's 6 BIG vs 6 SEC schools. The bar has to be lowered to keep those programs happy. 4-5 loss teams will have to be eligible for access to the postseason. That doesn't happen if the other conferences get access to the same postseason.

So let's win a bunch over the next half decade, and make as many of the expanded 12 team playoffs as we can while we still can. Because once the ACC GOR comes close enough to it's closure in the early 2030s and FSU/Clemson/NC/NC State are eligible to be absorbed, this is happening.

Wexahu

You don't pile all those massive programs into two conferences and then tell them they have to go 10-2 or better every year to get access to the playoffs. That'll collapse in on itself instantly following the first media renegotiation. There's 100% going to be a 12-team playoff in the future that's 6 BIG vs 6 SEC schools. The bar has to be lowered to keep those programs happy. 4-5 loss teams will have to be eligible for access to the postseason. That doesn't happen if the other conferences get access to the same postseason.

So let's win a bunch over the next half decade, and make as many of the expanded 12 team playoffs as we can while we still can. Because once the ACC GOR comes close enough to it's closure in the early 2030s and FSU/Clemson/NC/NC State are eligible to be absorbed, this is happening.
I don't know what's going to ultimately happen but the unlimited transfers/pay-for-play thing is unsustainable. Any scenario regarding playoffs, conferences, super conferences, etc that someone throws out there ultimately will fail unless that is addressed. Something has to give. Like I've said before, if they just required every kid that transferred to sit out a year before competing about 98% of this crap would be fixed overnight, but I guess that's illegal or something, or not fair because coaches can do what they want, blah, blah blah, whatever. OK, but if that's the case, why even bother caring. Seriously.

The NFL would rapidly begin to fail if they got rid of the draft, removed the salary cap, and created annual free agency for every player. Think about how dumb that would be. I don't see how college football would be any different.

HG73

A 12 team playoff with 5 B1G, 5 SEC and one each of Big12 and ACC would accomplish the same thing. Without the bad PR and legal problems.

Zubaz

The NFL would rapidly begin to fail if they got rid of the draft, removed the salary cap, and created annual free agency for every player. Think about how dumb that would be. I don't see how college football would be any different.
The NFL and every other major league sports league signs their players to contracts [and has a CBA at that] that prevents exactly that from happening. Send your regards to Marvin Miller. The NCAA could do that tomorrow if they wanted to. They don't want to. So we are stuck with this until they get their heads to sunlight.

In fact, they are now doubling down and citing teams for NIL violations knowing darn well that every single team in the fbs is doing it. Their position here is pretty ridiculous.