• The KillerFrogs

DMN: Could joining Steve Sarkisian’s staff as an analyst be the resurrection Gary Patterson needs?

Sangria Wine

please explain your second paragraph concerning how what happens in austin is some sort of litmus test as to what happened in ft worth over the last 4 seasons when his teams went 21-22 overall and 13-19 in conference play
We get the chance to learn if he was underperforming whether GP goes to UT or not…that is SD’s cross to bear. That part of the evaluation process is obviously going to happen no matter what. Whether GP can be a difference maker or not is what what’s at stake by him joining another staff.

Eight

We get the chance to learn if he was underperforming whether GP goes to UT or not…that is SD’s cross to bear. That part of the evaluation process is obviously going to happen no matter what. Whether GP can be a difference maker or not is what what’s at stake by him joining another staff.

what? this reads like one of sinks explanations on the correlation between covid vaccination rates and the spread of omnicron

Sangria Wine

I’m pretty sure that poster is GP’s agent, some type of relative, and/or just has a helluva man crush.
Or maybe I’m just not in the herd mentality of needing GP to be a villain in my story. I appreciate that the guy made TCU Football relevant for the first time in a generation and stuck around through it all. TCU fired him. I think he’s a great coach. I think he’s probably going to be reenergized in a way that wouldn’t happen without getting fired. Maybe all parties win in the end. Time will tell. I just like the story line.

Sangria Wine

what? this reads like one of sinks explanations on the correlation between covid vaccination rates and the spread of omnicron
Alrighty. School fired coach for underperforming. Hires new whizzbang coach who will go fix problems and win games. Coach doesn’t win, maybe the evaluation of past coach wasn’t good. Maybe the evaluation of new coach wasn’t good. Not sure what’s hard to understand about that process, or how it is similar to Covid vaccinations and omnicron.

But I get you think I’m too supportive of GP and that is the root of all such dialog. Sorry for being so damn loyal. Not planning on changing my attitude.

KTown Frog

As I think more about this GP to UT, whatever role he plays won’t be (at least I think) in any on field role (coach,play caller, etc). So really What true impact will he have on a Saturday in the final minutes of a game when the OC/DC/HC has to make the decisions.

Again, this is dependent on what exactly his role will be. If he’s involved on a game day role, then his defensive mind should be a benefit to them.

I was asked the other day about this whole situation and multiple people ask me “what do you think they should do to the statue of him? Isn’t it weird to have a statue of a coach who is with another team, especially UT?”

Eight

Alrighty. School fired coach for underperforming. Hires new whizzbang coach who will go fix problems and win games. Coach doesn’t win, maybe the evaluation of past coach wasn’t good. Maybe the evaluation of new coach wasn’t good. Not sure what’s hard to understand about that process, or how it is similar to Covid vaccinations and omnicron.

But I get you think I’m too supportive of GP and that is the root of all such dialog. Sorry for being so damn loyal. Not planning on changing my attitude.

no one said any of what you inferred in your first statement and there is nothing wrong with being supportive

gary was the hc at tcu where he was responsible for every phase of the program from hiring of staff, schemes, recruiting, support staff, dealing with media, expectations etc.. at texas he will be doing exactly how many of these functions because if he isn't doing the same job then how does his work in austin correlate to what happened in ft worth?

TAINTed frog

Or maybe I’m just not in the herd mentality of needing GP to be a villain in my story. I appreciate that the guy made TCU Football relevant for the first time in a generation and stuck around through it all. TCU fired him. I think he’s a great coach. I think he’s probably going to be reenergized in a way that wouldn’t happen without getting fired. Maybe all parties win in the end. Time will tell. I just like the story line.
He’s not close to a villain. He did amazing things for the university.

But objectively he was not up to the standards he set over the past 4-5 seasons. I think it’s also objectively obvious he’s had his mind on other ventures over the past 1-2 years.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong/Anti-Gary in the ability to hold all those thoughts at once.

At the end of the day, he’s a coach, not the university. I personally cheer for the university.

Sangria Wine

He’s not close to a villain. He did amazing things for the university.

But objectively he was not up to the standards he set over the past 4-5 seasons. I think it’s also objectively obvious he’s had his mind on other ventures over the past 1-2 years.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong/Anti-Gary in the ability to hold all those thoughts at once.

At the end of the day, he’s a coach, not the university. I personally cheer for the university.
I can agree with what you’re saying. I also think a healthy number of folks on this board need GP to fail, need SD to win big to validate a decision that was made that they aren’t all together comfortable with (firing GP) even though they supported the decision. For that reason there are plenty who see GP as their villain especially if he goes to Texas.

I agree that alums support the university. The biggest number of us who caused the stadium to be packed out and tickets in high demand were not alums though. I was a 25+ year season ticket holder, but not an alum. I’m a Frog Club Member, but not an alum. See, I can have one leg in each side of the fence in that I am equally a fan of Coach and University. Maybe guys like me aren’t of integral importance in some people’s minds, but that stadium will sure be lonely if all that attends games are football passionate TCU alums. So for whatever it’s worth, I’m a GP fan and a TCU fan. I’m also for the underdog, it’s largely why TCU was fun to cheer for on the way up. It’s annoying to listen to self entitled fans who don’t appreciate what it takes to sustain and win year in and year out. I think we have some of that around TCU today and that’s GP’s fault and untimely his own undoing. That’s my rub when you get down to it.

I think in this new world where NIL means it’s about paying players and recruiting in a different way than a decade ago I see the roles of special assistants who coach the coaches being roles with potentially massive impact. You may find yourself with cool guys who can recruit who are terrible at game plans and adjustments. A guy like GP could be a fantastic fit at coaching coaches and holding them accountable. He could be great at evaluating recruiting film and making recommendations about who will fit best into the needs. I do think that GP could have a massive impact at UT and I also think he has a legitimate chance at landing as the interim head coach before next year is over. Where that leads? Who knows. But I don’t think GP is done or simply going to Austin so he can play music more often. That angle is a little bit insane to even read. I’m interested in watching all this play out.

LisaLT

Well, this is him at the Texas basketball game tonight with CDC in a longhorn pullover.
Sad Jim Carrey GIF

Pharm Frog

I can agree with what you’re saying. I also think a healthy number of folks on this board need GP to fail, need SD to win big to validate a decision that was made that they aren’t all together comfortable with (firing GP) even though they supported the decision. For that reason there are plenty who see GP as their villain especially if he goes to Texas.

I agree that alums support the university. The biggest number of us who caused the stadium to be packed out and tickets in high demand were not alums though. I was a 25+ year season ticket holder, but not an alum. I’m a Frog Club Member, but not an alum. See, I can have one leg in each side of the fence in that I am equally a fan of Coach and University. Maybe guys like me aren’t of integral importance in some people’s minds, but that stadium will sure be lonely if all that attends games are football passionate TCU alums. So for whatever it’s worth, I’m a GP fan and a TCU fan. I’m also for the underdog, it’s largely why TCU was fun to cheer for on the way up. It’s annoying to listen to self entitled fans who don’t appreciate what it takes to sustain and win year in and year out. I think we have some of that around TCU today and that’s GP’s fault and untimely his own undoing. That’s my rub when you get down to it.

I think in this new world where NIL means it’s about paying players and recruiting in a different way than a decade ago I see the roles of special assistants who coach the coaches being roles with potentially massive impact. You may find yourself with cool guys who can recruit who are terrible at game plans and adjustments. A guy like GP could be a fantastic fit at coaching coaches and holding them accountable. He could be great at evaluating recruiting film and making recommendations about who will fit best into the needs. I do think that GP could have a massive impact at UT and I also think he has a legitimate chance at landing as the interim head coach before next year is over. Where that leads? Who knows. But I don’t think GP is done or simply going to Austin so he can play music more often. That angle is a little bit insane to even read. I’m interested in watching all this play out.
I don’t need him to fail. I want him to fail…in spectacular and public fashion.

FrogBall09

Those that are upset about Gary joining UT are probably the same ones who dumped their girlfriend for someone else and got mad when she started dating again
or guys that don't succeed in their own lives and hate to see someone get what they wanted for him - to be fired - but then move on to other successful pursuits....