• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘It’s football, man.’ TCU defensive coordinator stresses simple scheme, playing fast

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
‘It’s football, man.’ TCU defensive coordinator stresses simple scheme, playing fast

gillespie.jpg

BY DREW DAVISON

TCU football has been known for its defense the last two decades thanks to Gary Patterson.

Patterson is regarded as one of the top defensive minds of this generation. The Horned Frogs led the nation in total defense five times during his tenure. But Patterson and TCU parted ways on Oct. 31 with the defense playing some of its worst football in years.

Joe Gillespie is now the man tasked with following in Patterson’s large footsteps and getting the defense back on track as the defensive coordinator under Sonny Dykes.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article256667232.html#storylink=cpy

Palliative Care

Almost any scheme works if you have the talent. It was not just about the coaching last year. The well had run dry in many areas of the team. Notice that defensive talent especially at LB is what the new staff is bringing in now. Yes it will be a new scheme but upgrades will make a huge difference. When your talent all need to be "coached up" it means that they were not ready to play when they arrived. The portal can be used to get you there (quoting Indiana Jones) "if you chose wisely".

Austintxfrog94

Almost any scheme works if you have the talent. It was not just about the coaching last year. The well had run dry in many areas of the team. Notice that defensive talent especially at LB is what the new staff is bringing in now. Yes it will be a new scheme but upgrades will make a huge difference. When your talent all need to be "coached up" it means that they were not ready to play when they arrived. The portal can be used to get you there (quoting Indiana Jones) "if you chose wisely".
Tackling, pursuit angles, and not offering up your chest to be grabbed and held on to endlessly are pretty simple concepts that aren't as much talent as coaching and effort. Gary used to put a bunch of nobody's out there and there were seldom 100 yard rushers against his defense. Something happened when Bumpis left.

Palliative Care

As I said before "win by two" meaning we only won 5 games this year. Success would be winning 7 next year and 9 in 2023 followed by 11 in 2024. If we can improve to seven wins next year by playing better on each side of the ball then we have succeeded. I hated Bill Parcells but he was right, you are what your record indicates and you never won the "what if" games. Learning to win again is hard but it becomes the basis to build on in the future.

Deep Purple

‘It’s football, man.’ TCU defensive coordinator stresses simple scheme, playing fast

gillespie.jpg

BY DREW DAVISON

TCU football has been known for its defense the last two decades thanks to Gary Patterson.

Patterson is regarded as one of the top defensive minds of this generation. The Horned Frogs led the nation in total defense five times during his tenure. But Patterson and TCU parted ways on Oct. 31 with the defense playing some of its worst football in years.

Joe Gillespie is now the man tasked with following in Patterson’s large footsteps and getting the defense back on track as the defensive coordinator under Sonny Dykes.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article256667232.html#storylink=cpy

Sonny Dykes: “Well, they’re paying this guy, let’s say $50,000 a year, all right, well, ‘I play that position.’ They’re going to pay all the guys $50,000 a year, so that means I’m going to get $50,000.”

Garyspeak?

WIN

Sorry but the people "they" are bringing in is all about the coaches. Crazy how good we looked against Baylor, had to have some kind of talent yet again the coaches were not able to tap into it mentally, which is what coaches are paid to do.

CountryFrog

I am not saying that coaching was not a problem but you just cannot keep using nobodies forever. The other conference coaches simply began to out talent us. I am saying that we did not up our game in recruiting and Dykes is starting to do that now.
Nobodies? We've had 3 1st/2nd round picks at DL and 2 in the secondary over the last 3-4 years. Plus another couple guys in the secondary who have been All-Americans along with several All-Conference selections across the defense in that time.

Palliative Care

Ok but take 2020 for an example we has two individuals on that team who are preforming well in the NFL today but look at how poor the overall defensive play was with them in place. They were not nobodies but team depth was lacking (yes you can blame injuries but with proper depth you can over come that). I bet if those two were back here this last season things would not have been very much better. They could only do so much. Our best teams had the personnel to play at a higher level and we need to get back to that.

CountryFrog

Ok but take 2020 for an example we has two individuals on that team who are preforming well in the NFL today but look at how poor the overall defensive play was with them in place. They were not nobodies but team depth was lacking (yes you can blame injuries but with proper depth you can over come that). I bet if those two were back here this last season things would not have been very much better. They could only do so much. Our best teams had the personnel to play at a higher level and we need to get back to that.
So you're backing off the idea that we've been playing nobodies out there. Got it.

Bottom line is that we've had plenty of talent to at the very least be competitive with everyone in the Big 12 outside of Oklahoma and instead we're pushed all over the field by a team like Iowa St and having terrible offenses like Cal and West Virginia go up and down the field. No way in hell is that simply a matter of lack of talent. No way in hell does the TCU defense have less talent than North Texas and yet the North Texas defense probably looked better against SMU than we did.

No doubt there are areas of the team that need a talent upgrade but that doesn't make us any different than any of the teams that have handed us our arses over the last few years. The coaching on this team was a serious issue and I'm not even talking about game day play calling (which was probably not great at times either) but what the hell was happening during the spring, summer, fall camp, and Sunday - Friday in season prep. Not only were players not being developed but some seemed to be getting worse as their careers went along.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
Tackling, pursuit angles, and not offering up your chest to be grabbed and held on to endlessly are pretty simple concepts that aren't as much talent as coaching and effort. Gary used to put a bunch of nobody's out there and there were seldom 100 yard rushers against his defense. Something happened when Bumpis left.
The pursuit angles were the biggest head scratcher to me because most of that is just your brain working. It’s the same reason we can throw rocks, play billiards, etc. if a kid has been playing football for 6-8 years this should almost come naturally. If it doesn’t I think it indicates a player who is out of position or overthinking or both

jack the frog

Looks like a football player. Hopefully this new scheme will start attracting guys like Hodges that like to get out there and seek out violent contact.