• The KillerFrogs

OT - Books that should be movies

steelfrog

Tier 1
Or could have been better movies.

I am re-reading Red Storm Rising by Rom Clancy. I last read it in 1989, and man it would make a great HBO show mini-series.

Clancy sure knows how to write a thriller. I think I’ll take up Clear and Present Danger next, another one I haven’t read in about 30 years (I didn’t think the movie did it justice), but it’s amazing what one remembers from something in a book from such a long time ago.
Steel finds it amusing that you believe the mouth breathers who frequent this board read books.

NewFrogFan

If you are a Vietnam aviation enthusiast, The Ravens, should have been done by now. Dudes flew w stainless steel nads, 50% casualty rate. Flew all kinds of little, FAC type planes in support of Laotian General Vang Pao and his Hmong soldiers. Officially, they never existed thus their civilian clothes etc and close relationship to Air America. One of the more well known flew A-10/F-16 w Cajuns USAFR in New Orleans. RIP LTC Greg “Growth” Wilson.

DelFrog

'Paradise Sky' by Joe Lansdale... Reminds me of McMurtry's Lonesome Dove. Funny and poignant with wild wonderful adventures and crazy characters. This books follows the life of Nat Love, aka 'Deadwood Dick', an African American in post Civil War Texas. Great characters, great story, a tale of heroism, bravery, romance, survival, bloodshed and revenge.

ps.. Lansdale's novel 'The Thicket'... another great book, is currently in pre production, the upcoming film will be staring Peter Dinklage.

Eight

'Paradise Sky' by Joe Lansdale... Reminds me of McMurtry's Lonesome Dove. Funny and poignant with wild wonderful adventures and crazy characters. This books follows the life of Nat Love, aka 'Deadwood Dick', an African American in post Civil War Texas. Great characters, great story, a tale of heroism, bravery, romance, survival, bloodshed and revenge.

ps.. Lansdale's novel 'The Thicket'... another great book, is currently in pre production, the upcoming film will be staring Peter Dinklage.

sad to see dinklage has become type cast

reminded me.... News of the world was a good story and a better book. Paulette Jiles also wrote "Color of Lightning". Great story set in post civil war Texas based on story of freed slave Brett Johnson and the Kiowa.

FrogAbroad

Some time ago I came across an interesting author, John F. Bayer, who does a downright decent job of cloak-and-dagger type novels. Unless you insist on SFX blowing up things from beginning to end, faithful story development of JFB's stuff would make for a film worth sitting through.

Atom

Jack Carr has a series of books called the Terminal List. They’re currently making it into a show on Amazon Prime with Chris Pratt playing the main character.

Carr is a former SEAL, so the books are highly detailed and entertaining. Would recommend to anyone who likes Tom Clancy style books.

Agreed. Heard him on Joe Rogan. Easy reads too