• The KillerFrogs

DMN: Opposing coaches’ thoughts on TCU: Max Duggan ‘will be one of the better’ QBs in the Big 12

Wexahu

Imagine a world where you don’t have QJ for a few games….Name a WR we have that any other team should be worried about? We have talent but nothing that’s arrived. The opposing coach isn’t wrong on our WR room. This team badly needs another outside WR to emerge opposite QJ.

Worried about? I don't know but I think we have a few that would be very solid threats if we had a QB/offense that could consistently get them the ball.

I think if you take the top threat off of most teams, what's left wouldn't be all that worrisome to defenses.

Froggish

Worried about? I don't know but I think we have a few that would be very solid threats if we had a QB/offense that could consistently get them the ball.

I think if you take the top threat off of most teams, what's left wouldn't be all that worrisome to defenses.

Absolutely there’s a drop off from 1to 2 in most programs and I think Max hasn’t been great delivering balls either, but there’s no way I would hitch my wagon to a guy like Taye Barber and pretend I can win games.

Im personally hoping that either Savion Williams or Quincy Brown can be legit

Offense hasn’t been good and it’s just not one thing to blame. Coaching, OL, QB, WRs…outside of the RBs everyone has been pretty blah

BABYFACE

I closed the paywall and was still able to read it.

I found this part interesting (what other B12 coaches are saying about TCU):

I don’t think their wide receiver play has been as good the last couple years. They don’t have anyone who scares you on the perimeter. The QB gives them a chance because he can make the runs and the throws, but if there’s something missing right now, it’s skill position talent.

Wow, that is hilarious. TCU is lacking skill position talent? The Frogs have nobody that scares you on the perimeter? Gawd, I hope opposing coaches believe that.

In terms of WR’s getting separation or running crisp routes, then yes, one can be critical. Outside of that, it is a quite comical notion going on.

Frog-in-law1995

Wow, that is hilarious. TCU is lacking skill position talent? The Frogs have nobody that scares you on the perimeter? Gawd, I hope opposing coaches believe that.

In terms of WR’s getting separation or running crisp routes, then yes, one can be critical. Outside of that, it is a quite comical notion going on.

$100 that was GP and it’s already up on the bulletin board.

CryptoMiner

Imagine a world where you don’t have QJ for a few games….Name a WR we have that any other team should be worried about? We have talent but nothing that’s arrived. The opposing coach isn’t wrong on our WR room. This team badly needs another outside WR to emerge opposite QJ.

Spielman, Barber, Davis, Barkley

Eight

barber can be a factor in the slot, but has struggled against physical corners outside

davis has gotten better, but still needs work to be more than a fly sweep/ screen guy

spielman is another small slot and barkley has yet to play meaningful snaps for the frogs

frogs will get big plays from the slot, but they need two players to emerge at the outside receiver position to put pressure on the safeties

CountryFrog

Absolutely there’s a drop off from 1to 2 in most programs and I think Max hasn’t been great delivering balls either, but there’s no way I would hitch my wagon to a guy like Taye Barber and pretend I can win games.
You're not even willing to PRETEND that we could win games? Gosh, you're no fun.

froginmn

frogs will get big plays from the slot, but they need two players to emerge at the outside receiver position to put pressure on the safeties
No they don't. If a defense has to defend against Q Johnston deep, and Evans breaking long runs, and play action to a great slot receiver like Spielman, and worry about a dangerous runner like Max taking off if the field is open, that is more than enough to struggle defending against.

Eight

No they don't. If a defense has to defend against Q Johnston deep, and Evans breaking long runs, and play action to a great slot receiver like Spielman, and worry about a dangerous runner like Max taking off if the field is open, that is more than enough to struggle defending against.

maybe, fear is the safeties are allowed to play up because the frogs don't attack the deeper inside routes with the slot or a flex like rogers

two outside receivers who can put pressure down the field keep those safeties back and open the inside pass routes and run lanes

starts with line play

froginmn

maybe, fear is the safeties are allowed to play up because the frogs don't attack the deeper inside routes with the slot or a flex like rogers

two outside receivers who can put pressure down the field keep those safeties back and open the inside pass routes and run lanes

starts with line play
Completely agree with the last sentence. Makes all the difference.

CryptoMiner

barber can be a factor in the slot, but has struggled against physical corners outside

davis has gotten better, but still needs work to be more than a fly sweep/ screen guy

spielman is another small slot and barkley has yet to play meaningful snaps for the frogs

Spielman played 1 at NU despite his size:

As far as proven WRs he would be ahead of QJ:

PFF College
@PFF_College

·
May 11

Highest career grades among returning P5 WRs:
Justyn Ross, Clemson - 89.9
Chris Olave, OSU - 89.3
Jaquarii Roberson, Wake - 87.6
JD Spielman, TCU - 86.5

These are 'QB Best Friend' type WRs - separate quickly & catch everything! Go-to guys on 3rd & medium/short...

JD Spielman - TCU/Nebraska 174 Catches, 114 1st Downs
Renard Bell - Washington St 147 Catches, 88 1st Downs
Emeka Emezie - NC State 169 Catches, 86 1st Downs

FrogCop19

My take on Duggan's success this year is no different than anyone else's. OL will dictate how things go. One of the reasons Max's passes weren't as accurate as I would like to see is he was running for his damn life from the olé boys up front. Give him time and he will surprise you. Keep him running to survive and the passing game will be merely average. Problem is, we can't be average in the Big 12.

Froggish

If we are being honest, that's 3 slot guys and Barkley who has done nothing in 2 years at TCU. In that group I'd take Davis over all of them. Barber has more value coming out of the backfield on 3rd downs than he does as a WR. I have no idea why they don't use him that way more often. We don't know what we have with Spielman as he's been hurt and he's playing in a 3 man rotation at the "Y". All of those guys offer a little something but I don't believe any of them are WR#1's.....

Eight

Spielman played 1 at NU despite his size:

As far as proven WRs he would be ahead of QJ:

PFF College
@PFF_College

·
May 11

Highest career grades among returning P5 WRs:
Justyn Ross, Clemson - 89.9
Chris Olave, OSU - 89.3
Jaquarii Roberson, Wake - 87.6
JD Spielman, TCU - 86.5

These are 'QB Best Friend' type WRs - separate quickly & catch everything! Go-to guys on 3rd & medium/short...

JD Spielman - TCU/Nebraska 174 Catches, 114 1st Downs
Renard Bell - Washington St 147 Catches, 88 1st Downs
Emeka Emezie - NC State 169 Catches, 86 1st Downs

good numbers on the career catches for spielman, thanks for that, and i went and checked his career ypc which was 15.0 at nebraska

don't know much about the nebraska passing game, but 15.0 ypc over 100 catches is stout and i doubt that was built on screens and pop passes on the fly sweep

quentin on one side and a threat on the opposite side be it brown, medford, williams etc.. would seem to open up the middle of the field for those slot receivers and we have seen in the past (i.e. derius against ok state last year) that when the frogs slots get matched up against teams 3 or 4th defensive back or a hybrid safety/ lb they can produce some big plays

agree quentin isn't a proven #1 yet, but he is the one guy on this roster who has flashed the potential so far that he has the tools to overmatch a defensive back with the combination of size, quickness, speed, and receiving skills

HFrog12

We need Savion Williams to really come alive. He showed flashes and was surprisingly great in the return game, especially for someone 6'5.

Then we have Marcel Brooks and Quincy Brown - neither have any production but have all the physical tools.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
We need Savion Williams to really come alive. He showed flashes and was surprisingly great in the return game, especially for someone 6'5.

Then we have Marcel Brooks and Quincy Brown - neither have any production but have all the physical tools.
An honest 6' 5" and not a Media Guide measurement? If so, wowza.