• The KillerFrogs

NIL Starts Tomorrow - Be Aggressive TCU

Eight

I don't disagree and this is all great and the way it's supposed to be I guess. For me personally though, my interest level in college sports (football in particular because that's the only sport I was REALLY invested in as far as my time and money) will be a fraction of what it was. If this is the way it's going to be, all about marketing/PR and making money, it's just not all that interesting to me. We have pro sports for that, which I basically no longer watch. Maybe it's just me getting old. Maybe it's always been about making money but it didn't always feel that way, like it's starting to.

curious, if a college tennis player is being payed by head or babolat to use their racket how does that change your interest in the sport?

if a college track athlete gets paid to run in a certain pair of shoes how does that change your interest in the sport?

do you enjoy the ncaa men's basketball tournament because cbs is not paying the players in their closing montage for the use of their images any more than if the players were to get paid?

college sports are a business with only one exception from the pro leagues and that is the participants aren't getting paid to play the sport and please no one say the athletes aren't forced to do it etc.....college sports is a billion dollar business

the only thing this has done is allow an athlete to profit off their name, image, and likeness and i think people are focusing way, way too much on the primary team sports with these new changes.

most of this board has no clue who athing mu is (please no jokes about the name), but nike sure as hell does because they signed a deal with her that will pay her an estimated $500K a year to wear and endorse their gear.

in the future, would someone like mu stay at atm if they can get paid to endorse gear? maybe, maybe not. that remains to be seen and yes it will be a smaller group that gets paid, but i think some are thinking of this in too concrete terms and not the possibilities

if mu cost nike $500K a year and they don't know yet if she will win on the international level what about spreading that money around and getting a larger number of athletes under endorsement contracts earlier in their careers when they might be cheaper and easier to get out of the contract if they don't hit?

Eight

interesting question got raised this morning over coffee

most large universities have apparel deals with companies so what happens in the case of a conflict

example, say a couple of the top female track athletes sign an endorsement deal with allyson felix's new shoe company

believe usc is a nike school and in regards to the uniforms the rules i believe state that members of relays have to wear the same uniform so at least at some point they would have to wear the same top and bottom as their team mates, but what about the shoes?

how does this new rule impact existing agreements between a company such as nike and the school get impacted now that the athletes can sign their own agreements?

Wexahu

curious, if a college tennis player is being payed by head or babolat to use their racket how does that change your interest in the sport?

if a college track athlete gets paid to run in a certain pair of shoes how does that change your interest in the sport?

do you enjoy the ncaa men's basketball tournament because cbs is not paying the players in their closing montage for the use of their images any more than if the players were to get paid?

college sports are a business with only one exception from the pro leagues and that is the participants aren't getting paid to play the sport and please no one say the athletes aren't forced to do it etc.....college sports is a billion dollar business

the only thing this has done is allow an athlete to profit off their name, image, and likeness and i think people are focusing way, way too much on the primary team sports with these new changes.

most of this board has no clue who athing mu is (please no jokes about the name), but nike sure as hell does because they signed a deal with her that will pay her an estimated $500K a year to wear and endorse their gear.

in the future, would someone like mu stay at atm if they can get paid to endorse gear? maybe, maybe not. that remains to be seen and yes it will be a smaller group that gets paid, but i think some are thinking of this in too concrete terms and not the possibilities

if mu cost nike $500K a year and they don't know yet if she will win on the international level what about spreading that money around and getting a larger number of athletes under endorsement contracts earlier in their careers when they might be cheaper and easier to get out of the contract if they don't hit?

I don't care about college tennis or track or really any sport besides football, and to a much lesser degree basketball, and to an even lesser degree baseball. So the answer to if some tennis player makes some money will my interest level decrease, no my interest level won't decrease from essentially zero to less than zero.

I enjoyed the NCAA basketball tournament much, much more when players stayed in school and teams could be built and developed over years and coaches actually coached basketball instead of watching nonstop high pick and rolls, one on one basketball, and a ridiculous number of 3-pointers. The revolving door of players and rent-of-player of today's game has reduced my interest level to about 10% of what it was in the 80's and 90's. Make of that what you will.

It's not the paying of players that is the problem. It's everything that is associated with that, or will be associated with that. Zero loyalty to school, kids transferring like crazy, money being top of mind in the sport, etc etc etc. We already have that. It's called pro sports, which although the quality of play is far superior to college, holds little interest to me.

I guess my question back to you is, if college sports is just another big money-making business like professional sports, what's the draw?

Eight

I don't care about college tennis or track or really any sport besides football, and to a much lesser degree basketball, and to an even lesser degree baseball. So the answer to if some tennis player makes some money will my interest level decrease, no my interest level won't decrease from essentially zero to less than zero.

I enjoyed the NCAA basketball tournament much, much more when players stayed in school and teams could be built and developed over years and coaches actually coached basketball instead of watching nonstop high pick and rolls, one on one basketball, and a ridiculous number of 3-pointers. The revolving door of players and rent-of-player of today's game has reduced my interest level to about 10% of what it was in the 80's and 90's. Make of that what you will.

It's not the paying of players that is the problem. It's everything that is associated with that, or will be associated with that. Zero loyalty to school, kids transferring like crazy, money being top of mind in the sport, etc etc etc. We already have that. It's called pro sports, which although the quality of play is far superior to college, holds little interest to me.

I guess my question back to you is, if college sports is just another big money-making business like professional sports, what's the draw?

so first off, the rule change for a number of these athletes doesn't impact your interest so the rule change didn't diminish anything there from what i read in your response

the issues with college basketball again have nothing to do with this rule change, basically players were exercising their right to try to join the nba and again not this rule

the transfer problem started a few years back and has gotten worse from the changes by the ncaa and again not this rule

basically every reason you gave with your issues with college sports have nothing to do with this rule and the 11:00 am game times in august and september have everything to do will all the money paid by the networks and nothing to do with acting in the best interest of the "student" athletes which once again has nothing to do with this rule change

pick one of those issue i have lined out and tell me which one would not exist if not for the nli ruling?

as for what is the draw i guess that is personal. my wife, son and i have an enjoyment of track and field and in this country that means the high school and college meets. we actually had a long streak of attending the texas relays prior to the covid disruption and yes that is a niche', but isn't that what entertainment has become?

some is nostalgia, but i really can't recall many men's basketball games i have watched the past few seasons that aren't the frogs or gonzaga. i couldn't make up a good lie as the last women's sporting event i watched on a network, don't watch nearly as much college football, and would be perfectly fine if 3/4's of the bowl games were never heard of again

SuperTFrog

Not sure what it matters but I would bet Athing Mu would not have signed a deal like this is the Olympics weren’t this year. No way Nike pays a female 800m talent $500k a year for her to run in college and at World Championships.

As an aside, she obliterated everyone in the last 100m of the trials. Can’t wait to see what she can do at the Olympics. For a fun read, look upJarmila Kratochvílová from the 80’s. The current world record holder who “blossomed” as a runner in her mid 30’s.

To get back on topic, I also don’t like what this will do to college sports. It is taking a people group that are already so hyper focused on themselves and making it even easier to be selfish. I am one that wants these kids to leave college closer to being a responsible adult and I think this works in the wrong direction. studies show that your brain fully develops when you are around 25. I don’t think it is healthy to give kids this age the kind of money access to that kind of money. The “Affluenza” case and studies back that up (although that ruling was so ridiculous).

That being said, I’m putting the frogs win total at 9.5 this year. Go Frogs!

Moose Stuff

so first off, the rule change for a number of these athletes doesn't impact your interest so the rule change didn't diminish anything there from what i read in your response

the issues with college basketball again have nothing to do with this rule change, basically players were exercising their right to try to join the nba and again not this rule

the transfer problem started a few years back and has gotten worse from the changes by the ncaa and again not this rule

basically every reason you gave with your issues with college sports have nothing to do with this rule and the 11:00 am game times in august and september have everything to do will all the money paid by the networks and nothing to do with acting in the best interest of the "student" athletes which once again has nothing to do with this rule change

pick one of those issue i have lined out and tell me which one would not exist if not for the nli ruling?

as for what is the draw i guess that is personal. my wife, son and i have an enjoyment of track and field and in this country that means the high school and college meets. we actually had a long streak of attending the texas relays prior to the covid disruption and yes that is a niche', but isn't that what entertainment has become?

some is nostalgia, but i really can't recall many men's basketball games i have watched the past few seasons that aren't the frogs or gonzaga. i couldn't make up a good lie as the last women's sporting event i watched on a network, don't watch nearly as much college football, and would be perfectly fine if 3/4's of the bowl games were never heard of again

Not sure why the guy has to justify to you WHY his interest level will be lower. If he says it is then it just is. And I’m right there with him. I like college sports because it’s COLLEGE sports. If I wanted to watch a league full of “look at me” guys with their constant free agency/team jumping, shoe deals, endorsements, commercials, etc…. I’d watch the NBA and the NFL (which I have almost zero interest in). And I think anyone paying one ounce of attention can see that all of this only serves to benefit the elite 15-20 big state schools and pretty much screws all the rest of us. So I’m not gonna be shocked at all when 5-10 years down the road my sports interests are pretty much limited to MLB and international soccer.

Last edited:

CountryFrog

I'm not sure what to think of all these players promoting themselves as being available to promote other things. I haven't seen any of them tell me to respect their decision so I'm just totally lost on how to feel without that direction from them.

flyfishingfrog

But hey Master Ps kid got $2 million from some random website company nobody ever heard of even though he isn’t ranked in his sport and plays for the ultimate directional in Tenn State - Nashville….

can you say “funneling cash”

Eight

Not sure what it matters but I would bet Athing Mu would not have signed a deal like this is the Olympics weren’t this year. No way Nike pays a female 800m talent $500k a year for her to run in college and at World Championships.

As an aside, she obliterated everyone in the last 100m of the trials. Can’t wait to see what she can do at the Olympics. For a fun read, look upJarmila Kratochvílová from the 80’s. The current world record holder who “blossomed” as a runner in her mid 30’s.

To get back on topic, I also don’t like what this will do to college sports. It is taking a people group that are already so hyper focused on themselves and making it even easier to be selfish. I am one that wants these kids to leave college closer to being a responsible adult and I think this works in the wrong direction. studies show that your brain fully develops when you are around 25. I don’t think it is healthy to give kids this age the kind of money access to that kind of money. The “Affluenza” case and studies back that up (although that ruling was so ridiculous).

That being said, I’m putting the frogs win total at 9.5 this year. Go Frogs!

mu's deal was not only influenced by the olympics at the end of this month, but also the hits nike have taken recently in their female lineup

they need a new centerpiece with felix leaving and richardson being a bit of a wildcard. mu is positioned to be on screen multiple times and i would not be surprised if she starts running multiple distances in the diamond league

kessler signing with adidas was a bit of a surprise and not so sure he wouldn't have faired better going to nau and signing a sponsorship deal

supposedly he signed with adidas through the next okympics

Eight

Not sure why the guy has to justify to you WHY his interest level will be lower. If he says it is then it just is. And I’m right there with him. I like college sports because it’s COLLEGE sports. If I wanted to watch a league full of “look at me” guys with their constant free agency/team jumping, shoe deals, endorsements, commercials, etc…. I’d watch the NBA and the NFL (which I have almost zero interest in). And I think anyone paying one ounce of attention can see that all of this only serves to benefit the elite 15-20 big state schools and pretty much screws all the rest of us. So I’m not gonna be shocked at all when 5-10 years down the road my sports interests are pretty much limited to MLB and international soccer.

justify is an interesting choice of words, especially when wex gave a list of reasons why his interest was waning in college sports and then asked why i watched college sports and once again among the first things you site as reasons for losing interest in college sports are things done by the ncaa and the conferences and not the nli ruling

understand it is a tipping point for some and many won't agree with my position.

so be it, we all don't need to agree. personally i have less issue with a shoe company, tennis or golf equipment company paying an athlete to endorse gear than a coach or athletic department getting shoe money because it is a status quo thing

LVH

College Basketball has been ruined with the transfer portal and I am certain CFB wont be too far behind with NIL.

That Oral Roberts team that made the Sweet 16 and was one point away from the Elite 8 last season? Entire team is transferring out despite the fact they would have returned pretty much everyone and their coaching staff.

Why should large schools bother recruiting at the high school level anymore outside of the blue chippers? Just recruit from lower tier and mid major Division 1 schools now. Any freshman or sophomore who has a good year will be ripe for the picking. This way you can see how they perform at the college level first before extending a scholarship and is a great way to scout projects who may not be a sure thing out of high school.

There is no loyalty to schools anymore. Social media and the "look at me" generation just care about themselves and their own exposure.

College Basketball has turned into a game of musical chairs now. Teams are going to be so different year to year and NIL will just make the free agency even worse.

Moose Stuff

College Basketball has been ruined with the transfer portal and I am certain CFB wont be too far behind with NIL.

That Oral Roberts team that made the Sweet 16 and was one point away from the Elite 8 last season? Entire team is transferring out despite the fact they would have returned pretty much everyone and their coaching staff.

Why should large schools bother recruiting at the high school level anymore outside of the blue chippers? Just recruit from lower tier and mid major Division 1 schools now. Any freshman or sophomore who has a good year will be ripe for the picking. This way you can see how they perform at the college level first before extending a scholarship and is a great way to scout projects who may not be a sure thing out of high school.

There is no loyalty to schools anymore. Social media and the "look at me" generation just care about themselves and their own exposure.

College Basketball has turned into a game of musical chairs now. Teams are going to be so different year to year and NIL will just make the free agency even worse.

Agree 100%. And just to be clear…. If that’s what the kids want to do then good for them, I’m just probably not gonna watch it/spend money on it.

Big Frog II

Sad but true.

Endless Purple

Lots of interesting points, and I can see some of both points of view. I know some of my interest in college sports is waning.

I don't mind if kids get money from their youtube channels or instagram sites. Also think they should be able to get jobs such as tutoring, whether it is math or in their sport. My only concern is it being another path of big name teams choosing to do all they can to win off the field because fair on-field play isn't good enough for them. I can easily see this as becoming corrupted without very strict oversight (which I don't think the NCAA can provide). For example, a player has a great year at Wyoming so a car dealer in Ohio says "come play for OSU and I will put you in a commercial for $150,000", next said player enters the portal and more top level players funneled to a few select schools.

I know NFL players can do this, but there is a much smaller variance in team levels and the salary caps limit how many star players they can accumulate. Also there are guidelines about transferring between teams. There is no free transfer portal, just because. Also no balance in college.

I like the concept, but it needs to be regulated or let those top 15-20 teams form their own league.

As to the comment on "but they get scholarships not counting because it is a billion dollar industry. Why does everyone think the schools are just pocketing billions of dollars from athletes?

Hundreds of millions go back to the academic side as tuition payments, room and board, and tutors. This is all going back to the athlete. Also what about all the top notch locker rooms, training rooms, game rooms, etc.. Most all of the billion dollar industry already goes back to the students. Only a few coaches get high salaries. and it does not total in the billions for the coaches.

Also the money has to fund the athletic dept, not just the football players. Just like a company has to pay for an HR dept or accounting dept even though they do not do any sales. The system as a whole has to be paid for, and college athletics includes multiple sports.

Yes, let players have fair jobs, but greed does not do the sports justice. I already do not pay into pro sports as it no longer has appeal due to it being just about millionaires arguing with billlionaires on how to get more money.

Eight

Lots of interesting points, and I can see some of both points of view. I know some of my interest in college sports is waning.

I don't mind if kids get money from their youtube channels or instagram sites. Also think they should be able to get jobs such as tutoring, whether it is math or in their sport. My only concern is it being another path of big name teams choosing to do all they can to win off the field because fair on-field play isn't good enough for them. I can easily see this as becoming corrupted without very strict oversight (which I don't think the NCAA can provide). For example, a player has a great year at Wyoming so a car dealer in Ohio says "come play for OSU and I will put you in a commercial for $150,000", next said player enters the portal and more top level players funneled to a few select schools.

I know NFL players can do this, but there is a much smaller variance in team levels and the salary caps limit how many star players they can accumulate. Also there are guidelines about transferring between teams. There is no free transfer portal, just because. Also no balance in college.

I like the concept, but it needs to be regulated or let those top 15-20 teams form their own league.

As to the comment on "but they get scholarships not counting because it is a billion dollar industry. Why does everyone think the schools are just pocketing billions of dollars from athletes?

Hundreds of millions go back to the academic side as tuition payments, room and board, and tutors. This is all going back to the athlete. Also what about all the top notch locker rooms, training rooms, game rooms, etc.. Most all of the billion dollar industry already goes back to the students. Only a few coaches get high salaries. and it does not total in the billions for the coaches.

Also the money has to fund the athletic dept, not just the football players. Just like a company has to pay for an HR dept or accounting dept even though they do not do any sales. The system as a whole has to be paid for, and college athletics includes multiple sports.

Yes, let players have fair jobs, but greed does not do the sports justice. I already do not pay into pro sports as it no longer has appeal due to it being just about millionaires arguing with billlionaires on how to get more money.

interesting thing is free agency in nfl, nba , and mlb has more restrictions than the environment created by the ncaa with the changes to the transfer rules