• The KillerFrogs

The case for keeping Jamie..

Froggish

I know it's a fun time to say its time for JD to go. He certainly hasn't earned any more years based on the last 2-3 years but here's the reason I think keeping him makes since....

Its about revenue...Its about the future.....Its about Football...

Unless you're an incredibly wealthy, most schools are pouring all their resources directly into football. That means they are just trying to maintain the status quo in other sports. Look at ISU..As a part of their contract extension with Campbell he got them to agree to pour 100 Million into football facilities, Sports Science, recruiting, and assistant retention. That doesn't leave a whole lot of money for any other sport and they are OK with it. To them their recent success in football makes spending on football a better investment for the long term heath of their institution.

TCU will not move on from Jamie unless someone offers to foot the bill or the contract expires. We are not now, and will never be, a basketball school. So at a risk of offending the hoops fans, I am good with riding this contract out with JD because I want to save the money for football. I am also good with replacing him with a young up in comer who can prove to the school and donor base we should spend more on Hoops. While we aren't in the SEC arms race, CFB success (and all College sports success), is absolutely tied to spending. Money moves the needle. It does not guarantee you championships but it is a prerequisite for them. It would be in our best interest to stockpile money for the day GP retires so that we can hire a great staff and provide him with all the resources to push us into the next tier of college football programs. I want us to compete for playoffs on a semi consistent bases.

I love hoops and absolutely want to be good. I just think if I have to pick one sport we should be investing in, it should be football. If that means we have more lean years with JD, well I can live with it. I also believe the right coach can turn hoops with what we have already invested. Our current investment isn't a dumpster by any stretch. There is more than enough resources invested now that a coach should be able to push for a tournament bid every year.

Finally, I'm not saying it's OK for us to suck at basketball. I am making the point that continuing to pour money into it hand over fist isn't the answer. Buying out JD is wasted money that could go into the football program and push us closer to where I think our priorities need to be.

Eight

I know it's a fun time to say its time for JD to go. He certainly hasn't earned any more years based on the last 2-3 years but here's the reason I think keeping him makes since....

Its about revenue...Its about the future.....Its about Football...

Unless you're an incredibly wealthy, most schools are pouring all their resources directly into football. That means they are just trying to maintain the status quo in other sports. Look at ISU..As a part of their contract extension with Campbell he got them to agree to pour 100 Million into football facilities, Sports Science, recruiting, and assistant retention. That doesn't leave a whole lot of money for any other sport and they are OK with it. To them their recent success in football makes spending on football a better investment for the long term heath of their institution.

TCU will not move on from Jamie unless someone offers to foot the bill or the contract expires. We are not now, and will never be, a basketball school. So at a risk of offending the hoops fans, I am good with riding this contract out with JD because I want to save the money for football. I am also good with replacing him with a young up in comer who can prove to the school and donor base we should spend more on Hoops. While we aren't in the SEC arms race, CFB success (and all College sports success), is absolutely tied to spending. Money moves the needle. It does not guarantee you championships but it is a prerequisite for them. It would be in our best interest to stockpile money for the day GP retires so that we can hire a great staff and provide him with all the resources to push us into the next tier of college football programs. I want us to compete for playoffs on a semi consistent bases.

I love hoops and absolutely want to be good. I just think if I have to pick one sport we should be investing in, it should be football. If that means we have more lean years with JD, well I can live with it. I also believe the right coach can turn hoops with what we have already invested. Our current investment isn't a dumpster by any stretch. There is more than enough resources invested now that a coach should be able to push for a tournament bid every year.

Finally, I'm not saying it's OK for us to suck at basketball. I am making the point that continuing to pour money into it hand over fist isn't the answer. Buying out JD is wasted money that could go into the football program and push us closer to where I think our priorities need to be.

so basically put the program in the athletic equivalent of hospice care?

Big Frog II

With the money we lost on revenue this year, I do not foresee any changes. What started off so promising, has now turned to disappointment. I still think this team can be pretty good if they had a really good point guard. I know there are some out there. Jamie just need to get one. If not, expect more of the same in 2021-22.

Eight

Sure...The basketball program has 1 leg in hospice now so why spend another dime

thing is, as i pointed out in the thread about the game yesterday is tcu has spent significant dollars to improve various aspects of the program and are spending significant dollars for a head coach and staff of a team where players aren't improving as a whole and team play has been sporadic and disheveled

no need to spend more money, but the amount of money being spent does warrant expectations to be competent and competitive

4th. down

When is his contract up? I assume we have him until then unless he decides he'd rather be virtually anywhere but TCU

Expires in '24 with a continuation of pain.........there will always be excuses for a losing team. RJ made the 3rd. team All Big 12.......that's kinda where we are.

AroundWorldFrog

tenor.gif

Frozen Frog

If you want to fire a coach or AD for that matter you need to have an upgrade candidate ready to hire. I don't know if there is a current basketball coach who fits that bill right now especially with Covid. I have a hard time grading any coach or team on results this year. Coach Dixon has had years to improve. There is no denying that results are not as many had hoped, but there have been some signs that this team could be very good. I am sure plenty of the losses are going to highlighted, but there have been some big wins. Sometimes the beast you know is a whole lot better than the one you don't know.

westoverhillbilly

If you want a great team then say your ok with paying players the going rate. And find those willing to fund the money again for such activities and willing to face the backlash if caught.
Somethings never change and college basketball is one of them

Perhaps I'm naive, but I don't think paying players is the answer so much as getting them easy courses like the big schools do. TCU wants its revenue sport athletes to reflect the student body, at least mostly. Three NCAA appearances in 50 years ('87,'98,'18) is a long enough sample size to clearly show it ain't working. This is something that nobody publicly addresses, nor should they. But they do need to privately figure something out.

I equate our men's bb to TCU's football of the early 60's to late 90's- the admin just tells the coaches to do the best they can with the limitations placed upon them (i.e. tougher academics than at their opponents) and the admin will allow mediocrity/low performance for a while until a new staff of chums can come in and repeat the process decade after decade ad nauseum.

Eight

Perhaps I'm naive, but I don't think paying players is the answer so much as getting them easy courses like the big schools do. TCU wants its revenue sport athletes to reflect the student body, at least mostly. Three NCAA appearances in 50 years ('87,'98,'18) is a long enough sample size to clearly show it ain't working. This is something that nobody publicly addresses, nor should they. But they do need to privately figure something out.

I equate our men's bb to TCU's football of the early 60's to late 90's- the admin just tells the coaches to do the best they can with the limitations placed upon them (i.e. tougher academics than at their opponents) and the admin will allow mediocrity/low performance for a while until a new staff of chums can come in and repeat the process decade after decade ad nauseum.

i understand the discussion about academics etc...but how does that correlate to the inability to develop the talent on the roster?

how does that relate to the inability or resistance to run an offensive system that fits the talent on the roster?

understand that academics, tradition etc.. do factor in, but when I see that fuller after two years in the program is shooting less than 40% from the field the first thing that pops into my head isn't that he would be at least 45% if tcu was more flexible on academic matters.

Last edited: