• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: TCU to Honor Dr. James Cash Wednesday

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 7.13.20 AM.png https://gofrogs.com/news/2021/2/1/mens-basketball-tcu-to-honor-dr-james-cash-wednesday.aspx

GoFrogs: TCU to Honor Dr. James Cash Wednesday

FORT WORTH – TCU men's basketball will begin its celebration of Black History Month by honoring the first African-American to play basketball in the Southwest Conference, Dr. James Cash, during Wednesday's 8 p.m. game against Oklahoma State.

TCU is wearing retro shooting shirts, styled to look like the uniform Cash played in at TCU. The first 250 TCU students will receive a similar style retro jersey. Students will receive one bill of paper "Cash" that will be used at the concession stand to get 54% off their total purchase, excluding alcohol.

The game will have retro elements in it such as the scoreboard design and the white "Frogs" script uniforms the team will wear. There will be video tributes from current coaches and players as well as a video from Cash.

Cash played three seasons for the Horned Frogs (1966-69) and is one of four players in program history with at least 1,000 points and 800 rebounds. His 856 career rebounds rank fourth at TCU. In the 1967-68 season, he led TCU to the Southwest Conference championship.

Upon graduation from TCU, Cash joined the Harvard Business School faculty in 1976 and has taught in each of the major HBS programs. He retired from the faculty in 2003 and currently holds the position of James E. Robinson Professor of Business Administration, Emeritus at the Harvard Business School.

Last edited:

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I remember watching him and a couple of very good TCU teams back in that day including being a Sweet Sixteen team that dad and I saw when we went to the 1968 tournament in Wichita, beating K-State before losing to eventual national champion that year Houston.

Wog68

Houston beat UCLA at the Astrodome, but was beaten in the final 4. I think Houston beat us 102-67 at Wichita State. We came out just a little tight at the beginning. McCarty's first 3 shots never hit the rim.

SoonerFrogs

I'm almost certain I sat next to him at a football game once. We talked and he never told me who he was, but pretty sure it was him. Was a nice dude.

Wog68

I was the student manager for James' Wog team. If I remember correctly, he took classes like Russian, Physics, and other semi-difficult courses his frosh year.

EUROFROG

That uniform # 54 that James Cash wore at TCU belonged to me for about 30 years along with the entire set of home and away uniforms TCU used that year. Back in 1974 I tried walking on to the basketball team and actually made the JV squad When Head Coach Johnny Swaim eliminated the entire JV team because there was only one scholarship player and 8 walk-ons, I asked if I could keep the practice jersey and shorts. Coach Swaim told me he could do even more for me and took me down to corridor deep inside DMC, opened a storage cabinet and asked if there was anything in there I wanted. I was staring at three generations of complete home and away uniforms from about 61-68. I ended up walking away with three large trash bags of all three sets of uniforms. He was glad to clean out the closet on me. My intramural teams got to wear the 68 Conference championship uniforms for two years and then my YMCA league teams in Houston wore them for the next five years as well as youth YMCA teams over the next twenty years. Around 2005 I collected all the uniforms and, with the help of many former players and Frog Fan Forum folks I was able to get back about thirty uniforms to the TCU players who originally wore them. James Cash and Mickey McCarty were just two of the guys who were able to get their old uniforms back and have them framed.

Dogfrog

That uniform # 54 that James Cash wore at TCU belonged to me for about 30 years along with the entire set of home and away uniforms TCU used that year. Back in 1974 I tried walking on to the basketball team and actually made the JV squad When Head Coach Johnny Swaim eliminated the entire JV team because there was only one scholarship player and 8 walk-ons, I asked if I could keep the practice jersey and shorts. Coach Swaim told me he could do even more for me and took me down to corridor deep inside DMC, opened a storage cabinet and asked if there was anything in there I wanted. I was staring at three generations of complete home and away uniforms from about 61-68. I ended up walking away with three large trash bags of all three sets of uniforms. He was glad to clean out the closet on me. My intramural teams got to wear the 68 Conference championship uniforms for two years and then my YMCA league teams in Houston wore them for the next five years as well as youth YMCA teams over the next twenty years. Around 2005 I collected all the uniforms and, with the help of many former players and Frog Fan Forum folks I was able to get back about thirty uniforms to the TCU players who originally wore them. James Cash and Mickey McCarty were just two of the guys who were able to get their old uniforms back and have them framed.

I was at TCU same time you were. I spent every afternoon playing about an hour and a half of full court pick up games at Rickel which cut into study time. Also intramurals and city league for Stables reimbursed by free pitchers.

EUROFROG

I was at TCU same time you were. I spent every afternoon playing about an hour and a half of full court pick up games at Rickel which cut into study time. Also intramurals and city league for Stables reimbursed by free pitchers.
Those were fun times in Rickle. My senior year I refereed intramurals there and developed a HUGE respect for good refs. It is really easy to do a bad job as a ref.