• The KillerFrogs

Frogs vs. Rock Chalk

Skip Jansen

Do you think Jamie is catching grief because of his early success? Is he recruiting at a level that is good enough to compete for championships or do we have to wait several more years before we can compete?

I don't think Jamie's early success is a problem. I think it put TCU on the map in a lot of respects.. That's a good thing.

As for recruiting, I think you are seeing a change in philosophy somewhat. The first few years, the staff were about sign and development. The transfer rate the last few years have left the Frogs with young teams.

I think you will see the Frogs recruiting to get older in the future. Older teams can overcome a more talented younger team because of experience.

Skip Jansen

I'm just going to spell it out so there isn't any confusion.

TCU is 10th out of 10 in the Big 12 pecking order. And, it's really not even close. The gap between 9 and 10 is large.

Anybody who knows anything about basketball would tell you the exact same thing.

Everyone is entitled to their own expectations. That's their deal. This coaching staff is not perfect but they have exceeded what most people thought they could.

If that's not good enough, fine. But, that's the reality of the situation.

Francis Xavier

TCU is 10th out of 10 in the Big 12 pecking order. And, it's really not even close. The gap between 9 and 10 is large.

Anybody who knows anything about basketball would tell you the exact same thing.

Everyone is entitled to their own expectations. That's their deal. This coaching staff is not perfect but they have exceeded what most people thought they could.

So I guess the better question is where do we go from here? We’ve shown we can win a significantly more amount of games than when other coaches were here.

netty2424

I think the pecking order is perfectly clear.

But when you have conference programs that explode like Tech and Baylor, that becomes the expectation, realistic or not. The “if they can do it, we can do it” mentality. Beard figured it out pretty quickly.

Rose Bowl

When you have no fans there is almost no chance to ever be a really strong program. I don’t think we’ll ever have enough fans to make a difference. Barring a total collapse Jamie is here for as long as he wants to be.

Francis Xavier

But when you have conference programs that explode like Tech and Baylor, that becomes the expectation, realistic or not. The “if they can do it, we can do it” mentality. Beard figured it out pretty quickly.
Only so many teams can do that.

Wexahu

Not exactly sure what you mean here, but I'm not sure I agree with this. I mean, we might very well be 10th but the gap between, say, #6 and #10 isn't THAT large given the investment in the program 5-6 years ago. I believe Dixon is either 4th or 5th highest paid guy in the league, that doesn't happen if the program is #10 of 10 by a large gap. This isn't 2010 anymore.

Baylor prior to Drew's arrival had virtually no basketball history either and talk about taking over a mess. They had been to like one NCAA tournament in 50+ years. Now they are #1 in the country and have been a solid team for over a decade. And Texas Tech certainly wasn't some great program before Beard raised their profile. There really isn't a program in the conference that, all things considered and over the long term, we shouldn't be able to be competitive with except obviously KU. And a couple others admittedly have a much easier path.

Maybe my expectations are way out of whack.

Dogfrog

Define 10th in pecking order. It’s not record because we have finished 5th, 8th, 8th in conference the last three seasons. Is it perception? Money? Recruiting? All the above?

FrogSweep

The two announcers of this game made me want to mute their commentary. They were consistently talking about something other than what was going on on the floor, and sometimes had nothing to do with the game or even the sport. Sometimes graphics covered half the screen, including where play was going on. At one point, we were shooting free throws, and they were focused--video and audio--on doing a bio of a player heading for the bench. It was like trying to use a website deluged with meaningless pop-ups and audio, only in this case, I couldn't click on a close button.

Delray Frog

To be fair, let's compare Drew and Dixon over their first five years. Baylor definitely has it going on at the moment but Drew has been there 17 years. Granted he took over a mess, but his first 5 years his record was 57-80 with one post season appearance. Their program didn't exactly explode out of the gate. Dixon didn't have to clean up the mess that Baylor had by any stretch but he also didn't exactly inherit a powerhouse. No one has higher expectations for the program than Jamie. They had an awful game against Kansas and that performance is unacceptable, but I think this team has the makings of a very competitive team and I think it will continue to get better as the season goes.

CountryFrog

The two announcers of this game made me want to mute their commentary. They were consistently talking about something other than what was going on on the floor, and sometimes had nothing to do with the game or even the sport. Sometimes graphics covered half the screen, including where play was going on. At one point, we were shooting free throws, and they were focused--video and audio--on doing a bio of a player heading for the bench. It was like trying to use a website deluged with meaningless pop-ups and audio, only in this case, I couldn't click on a close button.
This seems to have become rampant with announcers calling the games from their homes. It's easier to stay focused on the game when it's happening few feet away from you. These guys tend to let their thoughts wander when they're removed from the environment.

One of the announcers during the KSU game spent about 5 minutes talking about what a great job Shaka Smart had done bringing his team together. Just kept saying that over and over again with different phrasing hardly even acknowledging that a game was taking place that didn't involve Texas in any way.

CountryFrog

To be fair, let's compare Drew and Dixon over their first five years. Baylor definitely has it going on at the moment but Drew has been there 17 years. Granted he took over a mess, but his first 5 years his record was 57-80 with one post season appearance. Their program didn't exactly explode out of the gate. Dixon didn't have to clean up the mess that Baylor had by any stretch but he also didn't exactly inherit a powerhouse. No one has higher expectations for the program than Jamie. They had an awful game against Kansas and that performance is unacceptable, but I think this team has the makings of a very competitive team and I think it will continue to get better as the season goes.
I think this is good perspective. Baylor is the most similar institution in many ways to TCU. People seem to think that they've just been nothing but top 10 teams since Drew got there but they've had plenty of down seasons especially in the beginning.

I guess people can point to Tech and say that Beard took them from terrible to really good instantly but that's not a very common thing to see. And frankly the last couple years they haven't actually been significantly better than TCU.

Moose Stuff

This seems to have become rampant with announcers calling the games from their homes. It's easier to stay focused on the game when it's happening few feet away from you. These guys tend to let their thoughts wander when they're removed from the environment.

One of the announcers during the KSU game spent about 5 minutes talking about what a great job Shaka Smart had done bringing his team together. Just kept saying that over and over again with different phrasing hardly even acknowledging that a game was taking place that didn't involve Texas in any way.

I can't stand watching games that are announced remotely. It's painfully obvious that it's happening when they constantly take several seconds to react to what is happening, or worse they try to say what happened and get it completely wrong.

Wexahu

I think Fraschilla is really good. Not sure who the lead guy was, but I think both were fine.

Farmfrog

The comparison with Baylor is a good one but Drew didn’t have both feet out the door like Dixon did. Drew had a real mess to clean up and it took time to get recruiting going but the last decade he’s accomplished two elite eights.

My problem with Jamie is he hasn’t shown himself to be a very good bench coach. He never seems to adjust anything at the half or in timeouts. Hopefully he can get us going in the next few years.

Rose Bowl

I realize that my expectations are high but I truly believe that we can compete for conference championships. Brewing said it best, “winning begets winning” and we’re going to have to hope that he can get us into the tourney and we win a couple of games in order to get to the next level. I have my doubts that he will take us where we want to go but I know he’s here for as long as he wants to be.

CountryFrog

The comparison with Baylor is a good one but Drew didn’t have both feet out the door like Dixon did. Drew had a real mess to clean up and it took time to get recruiting going but the last decade he’s accomplished two elite eights.

My problem with Jamie is he hasn’t shown himself to be a very good bench coach. He never seems to adjust anything at the half or in timeouts. Hopefully he can get us going in the next few years.
Not saying you're wrong but what are the specific adjustments during timeouts and halftime that you think Dixon should be making and is not?

Latest posts