• The KillerFrogs

Chandler Morris transfers to TCU

MacarthurTexas

Just to clarify, I think Max will be our starter the next 2 years, barring injury. I also think Max will take a big step forward in his passing ability as an upperclassman.

Still excited about Morris though

I think this is a reasonable response. And I'm basing my thoughts on the fact that Morris was a fantastic passer in HS and that has continued with his growth in college, which we don't really know yet.

All I know is that Max has a ways to go and one thing I believe, and have seen folks that know more than me say, is that accuracy is something that is very hard for a QB to "learn" or to be taught. I just have seen zero progression for Max in that department.

HToady

He's a private school kinda guy anyway, he'll love the women at TCU.
I'm sure he was persona non grata at SMU due to his old man. Coulda lived in Jerry Jones' garage apartment....

4 Oaks Frog

He's a private school kinda guy anyway, he'll love the women at TCU.
I'm sure he was persona non grata at SMU due to his old man. Coulda lived in Jerry Jones' garage apartment....
Jerry Jones doesn’t have a garage apartment!
It’s a pool house...three of them actually.
GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERYBODY!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and fornicate baylor!’

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
No one knows who will be the QB coach. Whoever fills this position will have an enormous impact on the development and abilities of the players under his tutelage.

I remember well the huge improvement in both Dalton and in Boykin after the Manning Camp. Poise, footwork, throwing motion, decision making, all improved markedly. While this is the premier QB development school, the lessons they teach are not copyrighted or patented. Any sufficiently experienced QB can see what they're doing, and what is needed is a good teacher who can not only get across what they wish to see in their students, but get the students themselves to buy into it and learn on their own. With enthusiasm.

That being said, they'll hire Elmer Fudd. He was in the wedding.

Max will be back. His throwing motion was hampered by injury. Yeah, I know, "He wasn't injured!!! Patterson said so!!!!" GMFP says a lot of things. Some of them may even be true. Sometimes. But even Stevie Wonder can look at the first couple of games and then afters to see a vast difference in ball speed and trajectory. He got dinged running the ball into traffic. Morons were calling stupidly designed plays. Now, with a long off season, away from the "tutelage" of Sonny ("I'm gonna miss him!"), Max will get some instruction from someone capable and improve yet again. One hopes the selection of QB coach isn't a complete fool who has coached multiple positions, but is One Of The Guys, and is pushed into the slot with an "Attaboy!" and a copy of Quarterback Coaching for Dummies. Although, with the last few years of QB development, anything is likely to be an improvement. We shall see...

CountryFrog

I think this is a reasonable response. And I'm basing my thoughts on the fact that Morris was a fantastic passer in HS and that has continued with his growth in college, which we don't really know yet.

All I know is that Max has a ways to go and one thing I believe, and have seen folks that know more than me say, is that accuracy is something that is very hard for a QB to "learn" or to be taught. I just have seen zero progression for Max in that department.
Max needs to get more consistent, no doubt. But if you actually believe that you've seen "zero progression" from him then you either haven't actually watched every game or you don't understand what you're watching.

4th. down

Well, presently, the needle is pointing to Kenny who would be a good recruiter no doubt in my mind. However, a QB coach with skins on the wall with 4 QBs coming on stream, nahhhhh. While we dilly dallied around the mulberry bush, Iowa State has taken our position in conf. Now, it's going to be difficult to dislodge them. Simply put, Campbell out coaches GP........go back to the recent record. We had Mensa's number but Sark, we may not have that type of success going forward, so to take 3rd. in conf. is going to be doable, but tough.

Now, all of the above said, and knowing what we are looking at as far as conf. competition is concerned, it would seem that we would do a significant search for a proven QB coach.......but will we, nahhh.

JogginFrog

frogs project to 7 scholarship quarterbacks in 2021 which would seem fairly heavy unless someone(s) is(are) changing positions or leaving the program

I feel for Trent Battle. When the sun came up on signing day, he sent in his letter with the understanding that he was TCU's only incoming dual-threat QB. Things have really changed for him. Love the additions of Jackson and Morris, but have to admit that I'm pulling for Battle to do really well as a Frog. I hope he comes in with a chip and ready to compete.

MacarthurTexas

Max needs to get more consistent, no doubt. But if you actually believe that you've seen "zero progression" from him then you either haven't actually watched every game or you don't understand what you're watching.

Okay, zero progression might a bit harsh. I give you that.

However, I will still stand by the fact that he did not progress as a passer from the F year to Soph year like he should have, IMO. He's well into the bottom half of college QBs in yards, comp % and TDs. I get that he bring an element that very few do with his legs, but if he continues that trend, he will continue to have nagging injury issues.

Wexahu

Well, presently, the needle is pointing to Kenny who would be a good recruiter no doubt in my mind. However, a QB coach with skins on the wall with 4 QBs coming on stream, nahhhhh. While we dilly dallied around the mulberry bush, Iowa State has taken our position in conf. Now, it's going to be difficult to dislodge them. Simply put, Campbell out coaches GP........go back to the recent record. We had Mensa's number but Sark, we may not have that type of success going forward, so to take 3rd. in conf. is going to be doable, but tough.

Now, all of the above said, and knowing what we are looking at as far as conf. competition is concerned, it would seem that we would do a significant search for a proven QB coach.......but will we, nahhh.

Why specifically would Kenny Hill be a good recruiter? Or a better recruiter than any number of other potential coaches?

I don't really get that presumption.

4th. down

Why specifically would Kenny Hill be a good recruiter? Or a better recruiter than any number of other potential coaches?

I don't really get that presumption.

I understand your doubts on Kenny's recruiting ability and my thoughts were initially the same but JC at 247 has moved the needle for me in Kenny's relationship with potential QB recruits over the past 2 years, including the ones that have recently signed, so we will see but on paper, they look good.

Double V

135734511_4264301596917865_1281456871542757992_o.jpg
We should move Max to RB and Morris to QB. Prove me wrong.

Mean Purple

We have an opening for an OC. Chad Morris was a highly respected OC at Clemson. I know he failed are Arkansas, but Arkansas is starting to become a place where your coaching career goes to die. I won't judge Morris on his time at Arky. Some coaches are also better coordinators than head coaches. I think he would be a great addition to the staff as a coach and recruiter.
When he introduced that tempo spread to Clemson, they rattled off a good number of big winning seasons with it. His connection to Texas high schools is pretty solid.

However, I will still stand by the fact that he did not progress as a passer from the F year to Soph year like he should have, IMO. He's well into the bottom half of college QBs in yards, comp % and TDs. I get that he bring an element that very few do with his legs, but if he continues that trend, he will continue to have nagging injury issues.

Max Duggan's passing stats:

2020: 146-240 for 1795 yds, 60.8%, 10 TD, 4 INT. QBR: 134.1

2019: 181-339 for 2077 yds, 53.4%, 15 TD, 10 INT. QBR: 113.6

Seems like decent improvement to me.

ticketfrog123

Max Duggan's passing stats:

2020: 146-240 for 1795 yds, 60.8%, 10 TD, 4 INT. QBR: 134.1

2019: 181-339 for 2077 yds, 53.4%, 15 TD, 10 INT. QBR: 113.6

Seems like decent improvement to me.

much lower sample size with way less throws downfield this year. Most longer throws were to guys who were wide open

CountryFrog

Fair enough. I have no idea how much he "should have" improved but I think we can all certainly agree that he needs to continue getting better for this offense and team to take the next step and compete for one of the top 2-3 spots in the conference.

4th. down

How accurate is Chandler in passing?

Small sample - 60% completion rate but he was not going to beat out Rattler or Mordecai who was at 80% completion rate and also a 4*. We've got some talent at Qb coming in so let's see what we can do with them. Honig probably goes to TE and Battle to slot or secondary. I look for Max, Chandler, and Jackson to be serviceable for us, even this year, if they let Chandler play.