• The KillerFrogs

The Spun: Texas Tech Fans Want Head Coach Fired After Disastrous Move

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
College Football Fans Want Head Coach Fired After Disastrous Move

Andrew Holleran

Texas Tech lost to TCU on Saturday night. The Red Raiders fell to the Horned Frogs, 34-18. Texas Tech is now 2-5 on the season.

Head coach Matt Wells pulled off one of the dumbest in-game coaching decisions in that loss. He kicked a field goal on second down with a couple of minutes left to play. Seriously.

Before TCU went up by 16 points, Texas Tech had the ball in Horned Frogs territory, trailing by nine points with just less than three minutes remaining. On second and four from the 20-yard line, Wells opted to go for a field goal.

It did not go well.

Read more at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...coach-fired-after-disastrous-move/ar-BB1aOfvH

Needing two scores, the idea wasn’t stupid at all if he thought they would make the kick. Though with 2:50 or whatever it was left, I’m not sure why they didn’t at least try a couple shots to the endzone before kicking.
It’s not that the critics are arguing against the FG attempt, it’s the timing. Their kicker has had a terrible year and Tech had a little momentum in that drive for one of the few times in the game. Given the circumstances at that moment, I thought it was one of the strangest decisions I’ve seen in a lot of (y)tears of watching football.

Last edited:

CountryFrog

Understand the logic of wanting to take the FG with time on the clock and 3 timeouts. Then you can kick it away and try for a 3 and out while using all of your timeouts and hopefully still have a couple minutes left on the clock.

Doing it on 2nd and 4 on that part of the field though is totally inexplicable, especially when you've been moving the ball.

Glad they did it though.

tcudoc

It’s not that the critics are arguing against the FG attempt, it’s the timing. Their kicker has had a terrible year and Tech had a little momentum in that drive for one of the few times in the game. Given the circumstances at that moment, I thought it was one of the strangest decisions I’ve seen in a lot of tears of watching football.
Freudian slip?

West Coast Johnny

I'm speechless as to how dump that call was.
  • First of all your place kicker isn't even any good.
  • Secondly, you are in on the twenty yard line and throwing the ball near the goal line will likely result in either a touchdown or an incomplete pass (both stop the clock).
  • Thirdly, while a game winning field goal on the last play of the game is fairly common in football, game winning touchdowns in the last minute of games is difficult as hell.
  • Fourth - Your QB wasn't very good to begin with but at least show some confidence in your offense and let him try.

Brog

I'm speechless as to how dump that call was.
  • First of all your place kicker isn't even any good.
  • Secondly, you are in on the twenty yard line and throwing the ball near the goal line will likely result in either a touchdown or an incomplete pass (both stop the clock).
  • Thirdly, while a game winning field goal on the last play of the game is fairly common in football, game winning touchdowns in the last minute of games is difficult as hell.
  • Fourth - Your QB wasn't very good to begin with but at least show some confidence in your offense and let him try.
Freudian slip?

Pharm Frog

I understand what he was thinking but the situation wasn’t right for what he did for several reasons. I’ll give him some credit for at least thinking though. If his kicker had made it not a single one of us would have been comfortable with what may have come next.

Frog-in-law1995

Understand the logic of wanting to take the FG with time on the clock and 3 timeouts. Then you can kick it away and try for a 3 and out while using all of your timeouts and hopefully still have a couple minutes left on the clock.

Doing it on 2nd and 4 on that part of the field though is totally inexplicable, especially when you've been moving the ball.

Glad they did it though.

Exactly. I have no doubt that statistically they were better off kicking sooner instead of spending another minute l-plus of game clock trying to score a TD, but the 10-15 seconds it would’ve taken to try two shots to the endzone from where they were, then kick on 4th down, would’ve been worth it.

Eight

so is the disastrous move mentioned in the headline wells decision to try a field goal on 2nd down with a kicker who at the time who had made 1 of 4 attempts to that point in the season or is the disastrous move tech hiring wells?

really don't want to read the article and now that i think about it more i don't give a [ Finebaum ]