• The KillerFrogs

LSU’s Chinese Bandits

JugbandFrog

I was at the Drs office today and was sitting across from this older gentleman who commented on how our game ended up against Oklahoma.

We lamented about the good ol days of the SWC when fans could actually go to road games cuz everyone was so close.

He mentioned something I had to look up, and man is it awesome: LSU’s Chinese Bandits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LSU_Tigers_football

It is a very interesting. I think how this could be used now, and I see it as a great way to keep players involved/excited, and most importantly OUT of the transfer portal. Basically, you get thia collection of 3rd stringers and run them through a set # of plays. Plays that feed off each other and you buildbon throughout the year, but this is their time.

At 1-2 moments in the game, when momentum is low, or just for the hell of it. Bring in the Bandits! I prefer Los Bandidos. They get special stickers on their helmets. They get playing time. Recognition. Experience.

I think this works better for offense than defense, but it sure sounds fun.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Grant Teaff used to run the Green and Gold teams at Rape U., essentially the 1st and 2nd teams, and would often start a game with the 2nd team for a series or two, just to get the opposing defense accustomed to a slower team, then he would put in the 1st team.

4th. down

Ahh the days of the Chinese Bandits, remember them well, and they were a force along with the White Team and Go Team of Paul Dietzel. Then throw in Billy Cannon and your team was complete - they were exciting.

Westsider

The Aggies’ 12th Man kickoff teams made up of students were unbelievable. They rarely allowed returns to the 15 or beyond. They were the highlight of the game for sure. Jackie Sherrill’s idea IIRC.

Eight

I was at the Drs office today and was sitting across from this older gentleman who commented on how our game ended up against Oklahoma.

We lamented about the good ol days of the SWC when fans could actually go to road games cuz everyone was so close.

He mentioned something I had to look up, and man is it awesome: LSU’s Chinese Bandits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LSU_Tigers_football

It is a very interesting. I think how this could be used now, and I see it as a great way to keep players involved/excited, and most importantly OUT of the transfer portal. Basically, you get thia collection of 3rd stringers and run them through a set # of plays. Plays that feed off each other and you buildbon throughout the year, but this is their time.

At 1-2 moments in the game, when momentum is low, or just for the hell of it. Bring in the Bandits! I prefer Los Bandidos. They get special stickers on their helmets. They get playing time. Recognition. Experience.

I think this works better for offense than defense, but it sure sounds fun.

racists and responsible for the death of millions and millions around the world

Eight

The Aggies’ 12th Man kickoff teams made up of students were unbelievable. They rarely allowed returns to the 15 or beyond. They were the highlight of the game for sure. Jackie Sherrill’s idea IIRC.

the irony of that entire 12th man thing is if any one on the unit formed by sherrill actually covered one kick off they played more than e king gill did in the infamous game that made him an aggie legend

HToady

the irony of that entire 12th man thing is if any one on the unit formed by sherrill actually covered one kick off they played more than e king gill did in the infamous game that made him an aggie legend
In reality Jackie ran them out there and didn't really care if they got injured or killed, he always had another student to take their place without risking scholarship athletes on kickoffs. Hence the real 12th man purpose...

BrewingFrog

In reality Jackie ran them out there and didn't really care if they got injured or killed, he always had another student to take their place without risking scholarship athletes on kickoffs. Hence the real 12th man purpose...
"Get this piece of meat off my practice field..." -The loving and kind Jackie Sherrill, referring to an injured player.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1

Wasn’t it just one guy wearing 12? I don’t recall it was the whole special teams. Or did it morph into the one guy later?

Wog68

Ahh the days of the Chinese Bandits, remember them well, and they were a force along with the White Team and Go Team of Paul Dietzel. Then throw in Billy Cannon and your team was complete - they were exciting.
This was during the days of 1 platoon football (players had to play offense and defense). The Chinese Bandits were a defensive unit primarily and it got real iffy when they had to play offense.

BrewingFrog

There is a laundry list of things you could say and do in the 50s and would be skewered for today...
What you did there. I see it...
GTY-richard-nixon-jef-170510_4x3_992.jpg