• The KillerFrogs

LHCGP has a Leadership Problem

Eight

Good Greif - yall need some football 101:

Our Base is a 4-2-5.

We have a NICKEL package - 4-1-6 and a DIME package 3-2-5. Often if there is a tight end, two running backs or whatever the strong safety is lined up like a linebacker but he is still a flipping safety. We do not, have not, and will never have three LB's in the game at the same time.

your dime package only has 10 players

as far as 3 linebackers, well in the past it was summers-dunham and howard listed as a safety

past few games it has been wallow sliding over to that safety/linebacker postiion

thing is, when people get all hung up on formations it is similar to soccer formations. tell me how many people you are keeping back and what you are asking them to do as the rest of the gets amorphic with play

for tcu that has meant 3 down defensive linemen and the other guys not sure what they were doing on saturday in the second half

they weren't blitzing, they were turning people loose in coverage, and kansas NEVER punted in the second half.

damn near the same result as two years ago when gary did the same thing in the second half. almost as if beatty knew what gary's counter was going to be to the kansas offense

1) Great Teachers are hard to find, and, even harder, to keep in the clasroom. They are like NFL RBs in that the work takes a toll. Don’t even tell me about “all that time off.” When I was a teacher, I’d routinely work 12-14 hour days, my sundays were basically shot, and most of my Saturdays as well. Whenever I could get away to a TCU game, I tried to use it as an incentive for my kids so I had an EXCUSE to go to the game. Even then, my “summers” were spent in summer school, then the 3 weeks I had off, I’d spend two of them prepping my classtoom for the upcoming year. Teaching isn’t about knowledge of the subject as it is knowledge of the craft of teaching.

2) I understand that LHCGP is at the top of his game as a defensive mind and injuries have a lot to do with our issues, however the TEAM is struggling, and more than a few of the issues point to the coaching. True, I don’t know LHCGP says inside the locker rooms and meetings, but his responses remind me an awful lot of the Principal in the scenario I was presented with. Unlike coaching, school leaders cannot afford to have “down” years or “rebuilding” years, so while yes, “in theory” this is what I’d suggest, but it is also the sound leadership decision. It is clear that our coaches have struggled for a while now, and when they leave here they continue to struggle. A good program/coach produces good coaches not for the betterment of the coach, but for the betterment of the program.

In the past, LHCGP could be a one man show, but it is clear that he needs help. The defense has not been the same since Bumpas left.

My suggestion is simply the same suggestion I would recommend as a leader of a school or a school district.

3) I also like, um distractions, and I would name them, but I fear that my recognition of an attempt to bring some levity to the discussion may undermine my point, and is not becoming of an educational leader such as myself.

TLDR but you get a like for being an overall good guy and a positive contributor even when we don't agree politically.

Jackson

Before one gets a trigger finger and starts criticizing HCGP’s coaching ability....I suggest you read the “Nebraska FB Case Study” and then you’ll understand what can happen to an incredibly successful football program when a “LEGEND” is deemed to be expendable.
There’s a reason why we have a statue of G.P. prominently displayed on campus.

Eight

Before one gets a trigger finger and starts criticizing HCGP’s coaching ability....I suggest you read the “Nebraska FB Case Study” and then you’ll understand what can happen to an incredibly successful football program when a “LEGEND” is deemed to be expendable.
There’s a reason why we have a statue of G.P. prominently displayed on campus.

always love this logic and you are comparing the tcu football program to nebraska?

i would counter with what happens when you are afraid to lose a "legend" and point to kansas state

this program isn't gary's it is tcu's, he didn't build this himself, and that statue is a damn joke. please show me where the statue is for the guy who actually won a national title

JugbandFrog

Started thinking of this post again recently, but most especially after watching Ole Miss and Bama, specifically Lane Kiffin. Did being with Saban actually help him become better, to find his potential.

Saban had ZERO problem demoting Kiffin in the middle of a playoff run.

One of the reasons Bama is consistently good, besides talent, is the relationship of the assistants to the head coach. Saban makes them better, holds them accountable, primarily because he puts himself in the executive leadership role.

What does this look like for LHCHP?

LHCGP should give the reins of the D over to Glasgow and coach him up.

He should manage the OC and sit in those meetings and give insight into the overall offensive game plan.

My favorite part of today was LHCGP demanding that Duggan be put back in after Duggan sprinted back out onto the field. Meachem and co ignored Duggan (this according to Estridge on the radio call). THIS is what I want to see from LHCGP.

nwlafrog

We looked like dog [ Finebaum ] on every sense of the term related to football. Total dog [ Finebaum ]. Not cheezeit bowl level dogshit, but still, dogshit.

Pharm Frog

Started thinking of this post again recently, but most especially after watching Ole Miss and Bama, specifically Lane Kiffin. Did being with Saban actually help him become better, to find his potential.

Saban had ZERO problem demoting Kiffin in the middle of a playoff run.

One of the reasons Bama is consistently good, besides talent, is the relationship of the assistants to the head coach. Saban makes them better, holds them accountable, primarily because he puts himself in the executive leadership role.

What does this look like for LHCHP?

LHCGP should give the reins of the D over to Glasgow and coach him up.

He should manage the OC and sit in those meetings and give insight into the overall offensive game plan.

My favorite part of today was LHCGP demanding that Duggan be put back in after Duggan sprinted back out onto the field. Meachem and co ignored Duggan (this according to Estridge on the radio call). THIS is what I want to see from LHCGP.

I posted in this thread that this is what “should” happen but GP is not equipped to do this. I’ve seen nothing that makes me think this has changed. If anything it’s been two more years of habit building.

We didn’t hire the competencies of an executive nor did the administration demand that these competencies be developed and deployed. Asking (demanding) GP change now would be futile and counterproductive IMO.

Hemingway

I posted in this thread that this is what “should” happen but GP is not equipped to do this. I’ve seen nothing that makes me think this has changed. If anything it’s been two more years of habit building.

We didn’t hire the competencies of an executive nor did the administration demand that these competencies be developed and deployed. Asking (demanding) GP change now would be futile and counterproductive IMO.
He would just dig in his cleats and claim under appreciation at this point.

Pharm Frog

He would just dig in his cleats and claim under appreciation at this point.

I don’t have a sense for what he’d do or feel or say but I’ve thought for quite awhile now that we’ve ridden this program structure too long. Not to imply that we can’t have a good to very good year every now and then. And not to imply that we can’t be “competitive” in the Big 12. But I stand by the assertion that we aren’t in an elevating (or sustainable) mode and that it’s both a strategy and structure issue now.

I don’t listen to GPs pressers any more because I feel they make me dumber and more agitated (which is on me). But when has there been sincere talk about that pyramid thing? I didn’t like the “five years” to build a Big 12 program talk in 2012 and it seems to me that we’re just kicking the can and the administration is okay with that. Expectations should follow IMO

Rose Bowl

We could put 6 or 7 guys on the DL and we still wouldn’t get to the QB. We are so poor on both sides of the line it makes the rest of the team ineffective.