• The KillerFrogs

Downfall of TCU Football

BABYFACE

Recruiting the last 5 years suggests otherwise to downfall. Underperformed the last few years, yes. Biggest issue has been the misses on highly touted QB’s either to injury or flameout.

BABYFACE

The best way to sell your point is to list legitimate concerns mixed in with your narrative that you are trying to sell. An oldie but goody.

Eight

Recruiting the last 5 years suggests otherwise to downfall. Underperformed the last few years, yes. Biggest issue has been the misses on highly touted QB’s either to injury or flameout.

think the biggest recent issue has been issues at the quarterback position, but i don't think that was the primary problem when the frogs joined the big 12

frogs for a variety of reasons did not have enough talent and depth in the offensive and defensive lines and they did not run well enough across the secondary plus quarterback issues in 2012 and 2013

the lines are much better and much deeper, there is more talent in the secondary, but the quarterback play has struggled the past two seasons

will let people debate offensive scheme issues, but we really haven't executed cleanly on the offensive side of the ball except for 2014-16

HFrog12

think the biggest recent issue has been issues at the quarterback position, but i don't think that was the primary problem when the frogs joined the big 12

frogs for a variety of reasons did not have enough talent and depth in the offensive and defensive lines and they did not run well enough across the secondary plus quarterback issues in 2012 and 2013

the lines are much better and much deeper, there is more talent in the secondary, but the quarterback play has struggled the past two seasons

will let people debate offensive scheme issues, but we really haven't executed cleanly on the offensive side of the ball except for 2014-16

I think it starts with the QB; however, there are plenty of teams who don’t skip a beat changing their QB year over year based on the system. We haven’t been able to do that and up until this year I have to put that on the OC (Cumbie)

4th. down

"but we really haven't executed cleanly on the offensive side of the ball except for 2014-16."

Who has been in charge of the offense during this downtrend period? Kill changes that, but if we don't pick up a significant change from the SMU game we are still in a offensive quagmire. The opposite applies in our situation......."if it ain't broke, don't fix it" so we will see if we are on a new pathway and if Kill has fixed it.

Eight

I think it starts with the QB; however, there are plenty of teams who don’t skip a beat changing their QB year over year based on the system. We haven’t been able to do that and up until this year I have to put that on the OC (Cumbie)

to be fair you have to actually have a definite system for the system not to work.

you have heard of unlv's famed amoeba defense, well at times it seems as if we have been running a hybrid between a grab bag offense and check down passing game influenced merely by where defensive players line up

Wexahu

"but we really haven't executed cleanly on the offensive side of the ball except for 2014-16."

Who has been in charge of the offense during this downtrend period? Kill changes that, but if we don't pick up a significant change from the SMU game we are still in a offensive quagmire. The opposite applies in our situation......."if it ain't broke, don't fix it" so we will see if we are on a new pathway and if Kill has fixed it.

We'll see. I'm hopeful but also in "I'll believe it when I see it" mode. I don't know what Kill changes exactly, he never seemed like much of an offensive guru to me, but about the whole operation needed to blown up so I'd say any change is good change. Simple execution of basic plays would be a start.

4th. down

We'll see. I'm hopeful but also in "I'll believe it when I see it" mode. I don't know what Kill changes exactly, he never seemed like much of an offensive guru to me, but about the whole operation needed to blown up so I'd say any change is good change. Simple execution of basic plays would be a start.

I think your last sentence is where he has begun, and no fades to 5'9" receivers or having them as the lead blocker on sweeps. or running in and out 10-12 receivers per game. Hopefully he looked at some of the LSU tapes from last year's championship team where the majority of their passes went to 4 receivers plus the tight end. Just these simple changes will produce a win where we would have otherwise lost. Kinda like telling Cumbie, ok, time to get real.

Wexahu

I think your last sentence is where he has begun, and no fades to 5'9" receivers or having them as the lead blocker on sweeps. or running in and out 10-12 receivers per game. Hopefully he looked at some of the LSU tapes from last year's championship team where the majority of their passes went to 4 receivers plus the tight end. Just these simple changes will produce a win where we would have otherwise lost. Kinda like telling Cumbie, ok, time to get real.

Agree with all but there were times last year where everything was so dumbed down and predictable, as if the thought of properly executing a play that featured some creativity was folly. And it probably was.

4th. down

Agree with all but there were times last year where everything was so dumbed down and predictable, as if the thought of properly executing a play that featured some creativity was folly. And it probably was.

I guess that's why Kill is here. We have 2 weeks off after SMEW, we should be set going into the Iowa St. game on offense and defense. Punting, now I hear is a question mark, but other than that, we should know what direction we will go for better or worse. If Kill doesn't work out.........

Putt4Purple

Seriously, I had a dream last night TCU played in the Rose Bowl and won in a close game against an SEC team. I cannot remember focused enough to know exactly which team, I think Auburn.
So there is that for credibility on opinions of our or other programs.
Honest to God, I had this dream!

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
Is it? If TCU quits recruiting at a level better than half the conference. If TCU starts going 3-9 every year and getting smoked like Kansas then maybe. Even last year was a few plays from an 8-9 win season.

The reports of TCU’s demise have been greatly exaggerated. - Mark Twain (roughly)

Just finished reading, The Innocents Abroad. Favorite quote: "When we spoke French to them in Paris, they just opened their eyes and stared at us. We never could make those imbeciles understand their own language,"

steelfrog

Tier 1
Downfall might be a strong word but I agree with many of the sentiments. The difference between TCU(and most if not all non-blue blood schools) is that out margin of error is much narrower. A miss on a player, player/position development, etc. more likely to have bigger and lengthier consequences than say, LSU, OSU, etc. Snakebit w/ injuries? Maybe. But there is definitely merit to this analysis.

To maintain the level of competitiveness we all desire our program cannot weather missteps. That might mean stubborn staff loyalty might need to be tempered. Who knows? Above my pay grade. What I do know is that overall complacency will lead the program into what we used to mock. TCU can't afford to be just glad to be here. TCU can't focus on the fancy uniforms and fat tv checks while the rest of the field laps the program. Then we're just like Tech.

This season, as crazy at it is/might be, must be a season of re-trenching. I'm excited to see the response.

NF
NORML!

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Seriously, I had a dream last night TCU played in the Rose Bowl and won in a close game against an SEC team. I cannot remember focused enough to know exactly which team, I think Auburn.
So there is that for credibility on opinions of our or other programs.
Honest to God, I had this dream!
It was an awesome dream...

punter9

It seems gp has usually thrown in a qb young (sophomore) with a really conservative game plan. Fights for a winning season, and then reaps the benefit of that extra experience in their last season. Haven’t been able to do that the last several years with Robinson and Duggan injury.

Maybe he’s changing that or maybe he will double down. We’ve had the team a couple times but no qb and a conservative game plan.

dawg

Downfall? Two down seasons constitutes the "downfall of the program"? We won 11 games three years ago and played for the conference title. As others have mentioned, recruiting is better than ever. The talent is there, and the defense has performed at conference championship calibre. The offensive scheme and production, however, has been the problem for the past two seasons.

When the offense has been efficient and/or QB1 has performed at a high level (2009, 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2017), we have been pretty damn salty: Four conference titles (should have been five if he kicks the PAT at OU in 2015). Three BCS/NY6 appearances (and we should have been in the Sugar Bowl in 2017 except it hosted the semifinals that year). Otherwise, when the offense struggles, we struggle (2012, 2013, 2016, 2018, 2019).

LHCGMFP has to get the offense fixed. Not sure if Kill is the guy to do it. Not sure if getting the band back together (Meach and Cumbie) will do it either. We'll see. But that is the issue. The skill position talent is there; the coaches need to be better in order to maximize it.

Last edited: