• The KillerFrogs

FWST: No tailgating, mandatory masks among TCU’s COVID-19 policies for football fans in 2020

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I am still in full head-scratching mode on this "liability" thing. How in hell can anyone PROVE that they contracted a disease in a particular place at a particular time? We still don't even know a whole lot about how the virus infects people in the first place, much less pinpointing a specific moment of transmission. Thus, the whole "I'm suing (fill in rich institution HERE) for getting me sick!" is ridiculous on it's face! It's not like you can put the Chinese virus on the witness stand...

Wexahu

I am still in full head-scratching mode on this "liability" thing. How in hell can anyone PROVE that they contracted a disease in a particular place at a particular time? We still don't even know a whole lot about how the virus infects people in the first place, much less pinpointing a specific moment of transmission. Thus, the whole "I'm suing (fill in rich institution HERE) for getting me sick!" is ridiculous on it's face! It's not like you can put the Chinese virus on the witness stand...

Call it liability/PR.

They don't want the bad publicity of allowing tailgates and then if something happens you know the media mob will point to the tailgates as the reason. OMG, I can't believe those people at TCU, they must not care, putting football tailgates above human life!!!

It's stupid. It's ridiculous. But it's the world we live in.

An individual case here or there would be impossible to trace, but a bunch of cases related to a super spreader event at a tailgate could be pretty obvious to pinpoint. I have no idea if there is any liability risk though. I agree it is more of a PR move.

Zubaz

An individual case would be tough to determine, true. However a larger group of folks getting sick (and suffering injury) that could be traced to one event wouldn't be all that difficult to figure out. Whether or not there's liability is still something we're not too sure about, but that uncertainty is exactly what these institutions probably want to avoid.

ftwfrog

Big 12 will be playing football.
“Yes!!! We have football!”

TCU will be allowing fans, but only 12,000.
“This is stupid!”

TCU will require masks for those lucky enough to be in attendance.
“This is stupid! I don’t want to wear a mask!”

TCU will not be allowing tailgating.
“This is stupid! I like tailgating!”

Yeah. Pretty much what we expected.

Zubaz

Big 12 will be playing football.
“Yes!!! We have football!”

TCU will be allowing fans, but only 12,000.
“This is stupid!”

TCU will require masks for those lucky enough to be in attendance.
“This is stupid! I don’t want to wear a mask!”

TCU will not be allowing tailgating.
“This is stupid! I like tailgating!”

Yeah. Pretty much what we expected.
I mean, there's a not insignificant portion of the population, both in general and on this board, that don't believe this pandemic warrants any shift in behavior whatsoever. No compromise is going to be acceptable to them.

Bob Sugar

I mean, there's a not insignificant portion of the population, both in general and on this board, that don't believe this pandemic warrants any shift in behavior whatsoever. No compromise is going to be acceptable to them.
Well once we got past the March/April the hospitalization and fatality rate plummeted to something akin to the flu. You know, the virus where all we do is nag people to get the flu shot.

Bob Sugar

I’m no expert since I don’t get to go to many games but when I have it seems like the whole point of tailgating for me was buzzing around and intermingling with all sorts of people and tailgates. Maybe I’m just extra social.

So your the guy who mooches free food and booze from everyone else’s tailgates. Noted.

Wexahu

Be more proactive about Isolating the sick (people who are actually sick, not people who just test positive) and have more protocols around nursing homes and long care facilities where a good portion of the vulnerable live. I'd be perfectly ok with reasonable approaches like that. Is that nothing?

HToady

You can tailgate, but you must only drink water....how does that sound?

However you may buy your booze inside....

Zubaz

Well once we got past the March/April the hospitalization and fatality rate plummeted to something akin to the flu. You know, the virus where all we do is nag people to get the flu shot.
This is factually untrue. There have been 100,000 COVID deaths since May 1st, while the worst Flu season in the last decade fluctuate between 30k and 60k for the entire year.

But thank you for proving my point.

Bob Sugar

This is factually untrue. There have been 100,000 COVID deaths since May 1st, while the worst Flu season in the last decade fluctuate between 30k and 60k for the entire year.

Sounds like our response to this should be this should be to really, REALLY, nag people then, but not much more, based on our response to the flu since...well...forever.

But seriously, in March and April, the thought process was that if there was an outbreak anywhere, the hospital systems would be overrun, we would quickly run out of the most critical of assets in our ventilators, and bodies would pile up in the streets. Once July rolled around, Arizona, Florida, and Texas all had the "surges," that the media highly covered. No talk of ventilators. Why? Because we learned that the ventilators actually probably did more harm than good. The USS Comfort was never deployed, even though it was free after treating a whopping five patients in NYC.

Now, all three states "surges" are over with much less carnage than what happened in the Northeast. No one ever created overflow hospitals in Arizona, Florida, and Texas. Other than a few small outlier hospitals, for a short period of time, there was never even a concern about hospital capacity. People in the states, dined out, played sports, had camps, went to work, etc. Had there not been wall to wall coverage of COVID, you'd have not know there was even an outbreak as most areas in Texas (that have easy to track data) saw no change in hospital capacity from June to August.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?

Like the guy who died crashing his motorcycle: COVID. Like the guy who was hit by lightning and died on a Florida rooftop: COVID. Like the many people who died of heart disease, or cancer, or a host of other co-morbidities: COVID. Etcetera. Crap numbers inflated to drive a crap agenda.

Strip away those, and the tens of thousands that Cuomo and his henchmen murdered in New York and New Jersey, and we're looking at a weak flu year.

Zubaz

Like the guy who died crashing his motorcycle: COVID. Like the guy who was hit by lightning and died on a Florida rooftop: COVID. Like the many people who died of heart disease, or cancer, or a host of other co-morbidities: COVID. Etcetera. Crap numbers inflated to drive a crap agenda.

Strip away those, and the tens of thousands that Cuomo and his henchmen murdered in New York and New Jersey, and we're looking at a weak flu year.
I know, I know, you think it's all made up.

Heck take it a step further: If you ignore all COVID deaths and we're at 0 fatalities. What a great job.

Wexahu

Don't you think it makes a difference that a very large % of these people that are dying are already very sick and very old? You always try to be the reasonable, nuanced one on here but you throw out these "x number of deaths" numbers with absolutely zero context. A healthy 15-year old, or 30-year old, or 50-year old dying is a completely different situation than that of an 82-year old that has diabetes and lives in a nursing home. I'm sorry for being insensitive, but it just is. COMPLETELY different. We are seeing almost none of the former and a very large percentage of the latter. Don't you think that matters a great deal?

Bob Sugar

Don't you think it makes a difference that a very large % of these people that are dying are already very sick and very old? You always try to be the reasonable, nuanced one on here but you throw out these "x number of deaths" numbers with absolutely zero context. A healthy 15-year old, or 30-year old, or 50-year old dying is a completely different situation than that of an 82-year old that has diabetes and lives in a nursing home. I'm sorry for being insensitive, but it just is. COMPLETELY different. We are seeing almost none of the former and a very large percentage of the latter. Don't you think that matters a great deal?
MatureMatureIchneumonfly-small.gif