• The KillerFrogs

Kudo’s GP Northshore For Doing This!

Is this guy 18? If so, I think it is absurd for anyone other than a judge or someone with a warrant to demand that he hand over his phone.

Also, who is the coach (or anyone else for the matter) to decide what is best for a player's mental preparedness? What if the player listens to relaxing music, or plays puzzles, or anything else to put himself in the best mindset? What if the player studies film on his opponent, or wants to talk to his girlfriend, or mom, or counselor?

Even more so, what about his right to privacy? I understand that phones have security, passwords, etc., but still, there's a principle here that just doesn't sit well with me. I'm surprised that others here think it is okay.

illini_frog

Taking up phones about 2-3 hours before a game is very common for high school programs. I have not seen a program that just let's kids keep them.

They are a distraction to preparation, and with them kids would be on Snapchat, Instagram, etc. taking selfies in uniforms, etc. Usually in away games we let kids keep their phones up until arrival at the stadium and then they have to be turned in to position coach.

It's obviously different if they are in college or the NFL, but trust me, look at what Antonio Brown did in the locker room when Mike Tomlin was talking, and that was a grown man. You don't want kids on their phones in the moments leading up to games, usually coaches lead meetings, walk throughs, film, etc.

illini_frog

Is this guy 18? If so, I think it is absurd for anyone other than a judge or someone with a warrant to demand that he hand over his phone.

Also, who is the coach (or anyone else for the matter) to decide what is best for a player's mental preparedness? What if the player listens to relaxing music, or plays puzzles, or anything else to put himself in the best mindset? What if the player studies film on his opponent, or wants to talk to his girlfriend, or mom, or counselor?

Even more so, what about his right to privacy? I understand that phones have security, passwords, etc., but still, there's a principle here that just doesn't sit well with me. I'm surprised that others here think it is okay.

LOL rights.

Playing football is a privilege, not a right. Trust me, coaches that spend countless hours preparing for football games know about preparation better than 17 year olds on Snapchat. Sound like the parents who get upset when teachers don't let kids have phones out in school.

LOL rights.

Playing football is a privilege, not a right. Trust me, coaches that spend countless hours preparing for football games know about preparation better than 17 year olds on Snapchat. Sound like the parents who get upset when teachers don't let kids have phones out in school.
If they require kids to sign a waiver before the season starts, and the phones are taken up the night before every game, then I am okay with this.

As is, it seems completely arbitrary to take every students' phone before the last game of the season. Again, it is impossible for any coach to know what is best for every player.

Finally, if the issue is being on social media, then make that the issue, and tell students they have the right to free speech...but the coach has the right to suspend them. Have someone monitoring their social media, and if they post during the excluded period, then suspend them.

So basically, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. They should be able to keep their phones (especially if they are 18) and the coaches should restrict what the players can post. Players should sign a waiver at the beginning of the season acknowledging that this can happen.

Then, punish the behavior. Otherwise what lesson are we teaching these young people? That is is okay for an "authority" figure to take demand their property, to be subject to privacy breaches, and non-compliance means punishment? I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks this is a good thing should not be involved with "raising" anyone else's children, and I feel sorry for their own kids.

JockO de Frog

If they require kids to sign a waiver before the season starts, and the phones are taken up the night before every game, then I am okay with this.

As is, it seems completely arbitrary to take every students' phone before the last game of the season. Again, it is impossible for any coach to know what is best for every player.

Finally, if the issue is being on social media, then make that the issue, and tell students they have the right to free speech...but the coach has the right to suspend them. Have someone monitoring their social media, and if they post during the excluded period, then suspend them.

So basically, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. They should be able to keep their phones (especially if they are 18) and the coaches should restrict what the players can post. Players should sign a waiver at the beginning of the season acknowledging that this can happen.

Then, punish the behavior. Otherwise what lesson are we teaching these young people? That is is okay for an "authority" figure to take demand their property, to be subject to privacy breaches, and non-compliance means punishment? I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks this is a good thing should not be involved with "raising" anyone else's children, and I feel sorry for their own kids.
Oh good gosh--"privacy breach", "demanding property", etc. What a drama queen you are. A coaches rule to keep his team focused--period. The kid needs to sit out the game.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.

Good lord.

illini_frog

Holy cow the drama. The coach is the coach and he can run the program how he sees fit. Don't be that adult who comes into school demanding to know why a teacher took your baby's phone when your baby is on Snapchat with girls instead of paying attention in class.

If a game is at 7pm, usually it's about 5:30-6pm that coaches take up phones, or I saw one program where the coach would watch them lock it up in their locker. Normally that way they are going out to pregame anyway. I doubt this was the first game they took it up, most teams do it for every game when either getting off the bus to arrive at stadium or about an hour and a half before kickoff for home games.

Because trust me, preventing a kid from being an idiot is better than punishing them from being an idiot.

And as always, if you think you're a better coach and can run a better program than a guy who just won the 6A state championship, you're free to get your teaching license and apply for his job. Good Lord it's just like the parents who accuse me of bullying their kid when I give them a 0 for not turning in their work.

Oh good gosh--"privacy breach", "demanding property", etc. What a drama queen you are. A coaches rule to keep his team focused--period. The kid needs to sit out the game.
Tell me how it is not arbitrary and capricious?

Sound to me like we have a bunch of adults who get off on showing their power to teenagers and young adults. Folks who have no control or influence in the real world, so they have to exert their dominance on the weaker among us. How pathetic.

Holy cow the drama.

If a game is at 7pm, usually it's about 5:30-6pm that coaches take up phones, or I saw one program where the coach would watch them lock it up in their locker. Normally that way they are going out to pregame anyway.

Because trust me, preventing a kid from being an idiot is better than punishing them from being an idiot.

And as always, if you think you're a better coach and can run a better program than a guy who just won the 6A state championship, you're free to get your teaching license and apply for his job.
A better coach? No.

A better human being? Absolutely.

Holy cow the drama. The coach is the coach and he can run the program how he sees fit. Don't be that adult who comes into school demanding to know why a teacher took your baby's phone when your baby is on Snapchat with girls instead of paying attention in class.

If a game is at 7pm, usually it's about 5:30-6pm that coaches take up phones, or I saw one program where the coach would watch them lock it up in their locker. Normally that way they are going out to pregame anyway. I doubt this was the first game they took it up, most teams do it for every game when either getting off the bus to arrive at stadium or about an hour and a half before kickoff for home games.

And as always, if you think you're a better coach and can run a better program than a guy who just won the 6A state championship, you're free to get your teaching license and apply for his job. Good Lord it's just like the parents who accuse me of bullying their kid when I give them a 0 for not turning in their work.
Also, taking up their phones a couple hours before kickoff is one thing. Taking them the night before the game is something else altogether.

On game day, you can chalk it up to protecting their property. After all, locker room thefts have been a problem in the past.

I presume the students were all staying in a hotel. Taking a kid's phone from him at that point is an absolute abuse of power.

Taking up phones about 2-3 hours before a game is very common for high school programs. I have not seen a program that just let's kids keep them.

They are a distraction to preparation, and with them kids would be on Snapchat, Instagram, etc. taking selfies in uniforms, etc. Usually in away games we let kids keep their phones up until arrival at the stadium and then they have to be turned in to position coach.

It's obviously different if they are in college or the NFL, but trust me, look at what Antonio Brown did in the locker room when Mike Tomlin was talking, and that was a grown man. You don't want kids on their phones in the moments leading up to games, usually coaches lead meetings, walk throughs, film, etc.
Just before the game, 2-3 hours before the game and the night before are very different.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Also, taking up their phones a couple hours before kickoff is one thing. Taking them the night before the game is something else altogether.

On game day, you can chalk it up to protecting their property. After all, locker room thefts have been a problem in the past.

I presume the students were all staying in a hotel. Taking a kid's phone from him at that point is an absolute abuse of power.
This is a HS football game, not a law enforcement detention or constitutional law seminar.

Participation in this is 100% voluntary and one must subscribe to the rules of the team. If this is one rule, even a 1 hour old one, then compliance is needed to participate.

I for one think it's an excellent idea to have the kids get a good if boring night of sleep, as opposed to snapchatting their GF and their side chick til 2am. Trying to win a damned football game here.

Paint It Purple

Dear God. Please tell us you are not serious. You’re being facetious. I know it. Haha. You almost got me. ;)

ftwfrog

Hey. Donnie Brasco didn’t take off his shoes walking into the asian restaurant. This kid doesn’t have to give up his phone.

“take off your shoes.”

“take off your pants!”

East Coast

Tier 1
This is a HS football game, not a law enforcement detention or constitutional law seminar.

Participation in this is 100% voluntary and one must subscribe to the rules of the team. If this is one rule, even a 1 hour old one, then compliance is needed to participate.

I for one think it's an excellent idea to have the kids get a good if boring night of sleep, as opposed to snapchatting their GF and their side chick til 2am. Trying to win a damned football game here.

I pretty much agree with your first 2 paragraphs. However, even as an 18 year old, I would have chosen not to participate for this coach, who seems obviously an ass. UNLESS, I had a lot to lose, like my reputation or my last chance to impress college recruiters. Then, I most likely would have done as asked and blasted the coach on my way out the door...

I see no problem with collecting phones a couple of hours before the game, but there are many reasons I might need my phone the night before.

Or maybe he just needs to Chaturbate the night before a big game?