• The KillerFrogs

Chris Thomsen is leaving for FSU

mesohornedfrog

If what JC reported is what happened then that is best case for us. Always rather be the ones breaking the news to recruits on our terms and not have other schools make up [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] to try and flip kids last second. I liked CT but here’s to hoping some new blood turns things around.

LSU Game Attendee

He did seem to be more in the background this recruiting season. Coaches move on ALL THE TIME. Take guys like Sonny Dykes, Matt Rhule, or Matt Campbell. Do kids they are recruiting really think those guys are going to be coaching them throughout their careers? What’s going to happen is they are either going to not succeed and probably get fired or do well and move on in a year or two to greener pastures.
I think Campbell might stick with the whirlybirds. If he was going to leave, he would have done it a couple of seasons ago.

JockO de Frog

I'm not so sure Thomsen wasn't wearing out his welcome here. I do hate to see Luper going though but it sounds like a good opportunity for him.

4th. down

You shut your dirty Briles mouth!

This was so good, I have to reveal what happened to me - I went to bed shortly after reading the above and of course was laughing. When I got into bed, I was still laughing and my wife said, "what is so funny" and I told her she wouldn't understand and kept laughing - I couldn't stop. So she said "no, tell me" and I told her, and she said, "all of you are crazy" and I said, I know it.....and kept laughing.

Last edited:

purplecircle

It is an odd dynamic when virtually everyone complained about the offense all season (and rightfully so IMO), yet they get disappointed when coaches who were involved in that offense leave for other jobs. Cumbie wasn’t the only thing wrong with this team, or the offense. Change can be good.

Oh, by no means am I complaining about the departures. I’m of the opinion that at this time any change is beneficial. My greater point was how the unexpected nature really just mirrors the season as a whole. I welcome any new blood at this point!

Mean Purple

Not saying this to troll TCU (because it happens everywhere), but why does the asst coach carousel seem to start spinning and assistants begin jumping ship right after guys they’ve presumably recruited sign their NLIs? That just seems messed up all around.
So does 5 dead hookers.

Eight

Not saying this to troll TCU (because it happens everywhere), but why does the asst coach carousel seem to start spinning and assistants begin jumping ship right after guys they’ve presumably recruited sign their NLIs? That just seems messed up all around.

images

FrogAbroad

This was so good, I have to reveal what happened to me - I went to bed shortly after reading the above and of course was laughing. When I got into bed, I was still laughing and my wife said, "what is so funny" and I told her she wouldn't understand and kept laughing - I couldn't stop. So she said "no, tell me" and I told her, and she said, "all of you are crazy" and I said, I know it.....and kept laughing.
Being crazy keeps me from going insane.

M

mkel43

Luper hurts me. Thomsen not so much.

Go spend $500k-$800k on each opening

Seriously? Call around to anybody in the college football world and they will tell you Coach Thomsen is easily one of the best OL coaches in the business right now. I love Luper, but coaching RB's isn't a very hard position to coach compared to coaching OL. Thomsen was the one coach on that staff that GP should've done everything possible to keep. Luper was definitely a huge loss for us in recruiting but as far as football knowledge and coaching ability we won't be able to find a hire that is near as good as Coach Thomsen.

JockO de Frog

Seriously? Call around to anybody in the college football world and they will tell you Coach Thomsen is easily one of the best OL coaches in the business right now. I love Luper, but coaching RB's isn't a very hard position to coach compared to coaching OL. Thomsen was the one coach on that staff that GP should've done everything possible to keep. Luper was definitely a huge loss for us in recruiting but as far as football knowledge and coaching ability we won't be able to find a hire that is near as good as Coach Thomsen.
I don't have any inside info on why our OL has played poorly for two years now. It could simply be that there is no cohesiveness between the O line, receivers, QB, and backs. They seem to play as separate units without anything that binds them together as a "team". But taking the OL by itself, the results are what indicates a good coach and I just haven't seen it with Thomsen. Please explain why Thomsen is one of the best in the business. Not a challenge to your statement, I just really want to know how you came to this.

McFroggin

Best OL coach should translate to better OL play. That has yet to happen in my opinion.