• The KillerFrogs

Are we going to a bowl game?

Uncle_Frog

Still waiting for someone to explain to me how more football is bad. Also, there’s a very simple solution for those that don’t like it.....
I'll bite. Obviously I want the kids to get a bowl game and great point by FFF about it being the best Christmas for some of the players. Sometimes sports are more than just the game on the field.

In terms of the overall program, it might be more beneficial in the long run to not make one (hear me out first). If we make a bowl and win it finishing 7-6 we aren't likely to make many changes within the coaching staff. Riding the high of a bowl win rarely leads to change. If we miss a bowl game this year it will force GPs hand. I just don't see us winning championships with the way things are currently set up. That's 6+ losses in 3 of the last 4 years. That's mediocrity. If you think we will be title contenders by keeping the status quo we will simply have to disagree.

Last time we didn't make a bowl game GP made changes in philosophy, we shook up the offense, and won 23 games over the next two years. By not making a bowl it gives GP an extra month to look for some new blood, do some soul searching, and figure out how to get this thing back on track.

If we make a bowl I will be there and cheering, but I'm not sure making another Cheeze-It Bowl is better for the long term outlook for TCU Football. It didn't help us prepare for this year, but it did keep the coaching staff intact.

Moose Stuff

I'll bite. Obviously I want the kids to get a bowl game and great point by FFF about it being the best Christmas for some of the players. Sometimes sports are more than just the game on the field.

In terms of the overall program, it might be more beneficial in the long run to not make one (hear me out first). If we make a bowl and win it finishing 7-6 we aren't likely to make many changes within the coaching staff. Riding the high of a bowl win rarely leads to change. If we miss a bowl game this year it will force GPs hand. I just don't see us winning championships with the way things are currently set up. That's 6+ losses in 3 of the last 4 years. That's mediocrity. If you think we will be title contenders by keeping the status quo we will simply have to disagree.

Last time we didn't make a bowl game GP made changes in philosophy, we shook up the offense, and won 23 games over the next two years. By not making a bowl it gives GP an extra month to look for some new blood, do some soul searching, and figure out how to get this thing back on track.

If we make a bowl I will be there and cheering, but I'm not sure making another Cheeze-It Bowl is better for the long term outlook for TCU Football. It didn't help us prepare for this year, but it did keep the coaching staff intact.

Nothing really wrong with this line of thinking. I don’t fully agree but all valid points. And while I agree that changes are needed I will play devil’s advocate and point out that we played in the Big 12 title game two years ago with basically the same coaching staff.

Uncle_Frog

Nothing really wrong with this line of thinking. I don’t fully agree but all valid points. And while I agree that changes are needed I will play devil’s advocate and point out that we played in the Big 12 title game two years ago with basically the same coaching staff.
I thought about that and I don't think the Cumbie and Co. are completely devoid of coaching talent. The guy clearly knows how to coach QBs (Boykin, Hill, and now Duggan all showed tremendous improvement). But in 2017 we were only 5th in conference on offense. We had a veteran O-Line with some NFL guys up there, a 5th year senior QB, Darius Anderson, etc. and we were still only an average offense in the Big XII. I mean we scored 0 points on offense against Iowa State that year.

The point is the stars have to perfectly align for a Cumbie led offense to be average in this conference. Someone pointed out that only Kansas and Kansas State have been worse on offense since he's taken over. He is a good QB coach but not a very good OC imo.

Last edited:

steelfrog

Tier 1

A game in which we were non-competitive, in the extreme. Talk about embarrassing performances...

Steel will try to make any bowl game we are in.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I cant decide whether Rogers "lacking a functioning foot" or Muehlstein throwing an interception after being three yards beyond the LOS is my favorite moment.
Wasn’t there a play with two forward passes and an interception? Because that’s awesome.