• The KillerFrogs

Gary Patterson

His coaching style doesn’t work with these kids. I love for what he has done for the school but it might be time for a change.

This is so true. Probably more so than most want to admit.
The biggest mistake he made was keeping Cumbie and letting go of the players coach in Meachum.

Froggish

Plenty of reason to criticize the entire staff and GP is at the top of that but I'm going to go ahead and call MAJOR BS on that last sentence. And please keep in mind that I'm calling MAJOR BS so this is very serious.

There's just no way that any head coach is ok with losing under any circumstances. That's asinine. He may well be overly loyal and he may well be doing some things wrong but he's not ok with losing just because it's with "his guys."

Please read my post after that for further clarification..

Mean Purple

This is so true. Probably more so than most want to admit.
The biggest mistake he made was keeping Cumbie and letting go of the players coach in Meachum.
Yes. He was worried about the losing coaches worrying about personalities? So he does not bring back Meach?

That is not how a head coach should make the call.

CountryFrog

yes, coach p the defensive coach is a big part of the problem and the fact people don't see that is more disconcerting than anything else about the loss today.
The defense is a mess and GP runs the defense. So it's either him or it's the staff not doing what they should be. And of course it's his staff.

Froggish

I’m replying to my own message for further clarification..GP want to win badly but he wants to do it with HIS guys..People around the state know this because it GPs selling message in every living room he goes into. He sees his selling point of family and consistency a primary reason why we have gotten better in recruiting and there are plenty of people who believe it would take act of congress to get him to walk that narrative back. Familiarity and longevity of staff is what allows him to act as part time HC and full time DC..His way of functioning just wouldn’t work with a staff he has no relationship or trust with.

CountryFrog

I’m replying to my own message for further clarification..GP want to win badly but he wants to do it with HIS guys..People around the state know this because it GPs selling message in every living room he goes into. He sees his selling point of family and consistency a primary reason why we have gotten better in recruiting and there are plenty of people who believe it would take act of congress to get him to walk that narrative back. Familiarity and longevity of staff is what allows him to act as part time HC and full time DC..His way of functioning just wouldn’t work with a staff he has no relationship or trust with.
I can buy this as a possibility, but this is VERY different than what you said about him wanting to win with his guys and if he can't then he's ok with not winning.

asleep003

He may fire Cumbie but I see no way he cleans house...Finding a staff that is going to put up with him is a much bigger issue then most know..

Then is used when you are talking about something related to time.
Than is used when talking about comparisons... bigger than/ hotter than/ less than.

Knot the official gramer police, butt thaught most youre " then"s gust typoz, over the pass year or too.

Yes. He was worried about the losing coaches worrying about personalities? So he does not bring back Meach?

That is not how a head coach should make the call.

GP’s problem is his massive ego. He hired these coaches so they must be all world. Except, they aren’t and he refuses to admit it.

Most on this board think the guy walks on water, but honestly what has he really done. A national championship? No. How many playoff appearances? None. How many New Years bowls? Not enough. I get it. He turned the program around, but he hasn’t taken the program to the next level. He’s basically Bobby Bowden at this point without the resume Bowden had. He’s about to relegate TCU inconsequential with his ego and refusal to make changes.

JAB331

Been a member for over a decade, but was building my company for the last few years and so my login lapsed. Anyway, I'm appalled with what I'm reading. Fire CGP..!?! We're 3-3..? His approach of loyalty is what gives us a chance at a national championship. Have you forgotten that we've been ranked #2 multiple times in the last decade, that he got us to the Big 12, that we should have been in the CFP the first year...?! Wow, what short-sidedness...

Now for Cumbie, he's mediocre at best... We had a false positive on his second year - turns out Boykin self coached himself. We need to take the hit this year and fire him, otherwise it's going to be a longer re-building period.

For those calling for CGP head, refocus your your energy - never gonna happen. What we're talking about here is his ability to pick his successor when he decides to retire. At one point I thought that would be Cumbie, but no longer. He can't develop players and he calls #@#@$@ plays. He needs to go coach high school. It's time to take the hit and get a new OC. Obviously Sonny Dykes would have been much better, but hindsight... So now we need to find someone else. We have the players, we have a legendary HC, now we just need the supporting cast at OC...

Froggish

I can buy this as a possibility, but this is VERY different than what you said about him wanting to win with his guys and if he can't then he's ok with not winning.

I’ll say this that I believe he would retire before he turned over long time assistants. There are many around the state coaching ranks who 100% believe it also.

LeagueCityFrog

Also...if these freshman are as talented as advertised then please, for the love of God, don't burn any unnecessary redd shirts unless it's needed to get bowl eligible.

TX_Krötenechse

Been a member for over a decade, but was building my company for the last few years and so my login lapsed. Anyway, I'm appalled with what I'm reading. Fire CGP..!?! We're 3-3..? His approach of loyalty is what gives us a chance at a national championship. Have you forgotten that we've been ranked #2 multiple times in the last decade, that he got us to the Big 12, that we should have been in the CFP the first year...?! Wow, what short-sidedness...

Now for Cumbie, he's mediocre at best... We had a false positive on his second year - turns out Boykin self coached himself. We need to take the hit this year and fire him, otherwise it's going to be a longer re-building period.

For those calling for CGP head, refocus your your energy - never gonna happen. What we're talking about here is his ability to pick his successor when he decides to retire. At one point I thought that would be Cumbie, but no longer. He can't develop players and he calls #@#@$@ plays. He needs to go coach high school. It's time to take the hit and get a new OC. Obviously Sonny Dykes would have been much better, but hindsight... So now we need to find someone else. We have the players, we have a legendary HC, now we just need the supporting cast at OC...
We don’t have a chance at a national championship.

GP is kind of like the defensive Chip Kelly. Built a reputation on being an innovator and a smart coach, both of which are true, but the rest of the football world has caught up. Dozens of programs run a 4-2-5 now. We need to continue to innovate or we’ll be left even further behind.

On offense ... well, all of the top teams in the country run a variation of a high tempo power spread. We run some sort of slow nonsense.

Limey Frog

If he can't coach with any other guys then he needs to retire before his legacy becomes: "Patterson did great at TCU so long as they were in the minor leagues, but he couldn't hack it in the Big XII and they sunk back to irrelevance."

This coaching staff is going nowhere, slowly. If it's the only one GP can hold together, then it's time.

To be clear: I still think he's got the stuff and I still believe in him. But his loyalty is killing us; has been for a few years now.

Mean Purple

GP’s problem is his massive ego. He hired these coaches so they must be all world. Except, they aren’t and he refuses to admit it.

Most on this board think the guy walks on water, but honestly what has he really done. A national championship? No. How many playoff appearances? None. How many New Years bowls? Not enough. I get it. He turned the program around, but he hasn’t taken the program to the next level. He’s basically Bobby Bowden at this point without the resume Bowden had. He’s about to relegate TCU inconsequential with his ego and refusal to make changes.
Let's be honest. He did not turn this around. Fran did. And Fran knew to keep his foot on the gas.

Patterson has made decisions that have hurt us time and again. Took the foot off the gas at Baylor and cost us a shot at the CFP. Went for 2, twice, when he did not need to in Norman and cost us big in conference. Letting Meach go. Keeping bad assistants. We are always close in games where we should blow the team out. We lose to teams we should not. And it hurts us.

We are not OU and Texas. We cannot afford multiple down years. It will kill recruiting.

Mean Purple

If he can't coach with any other guys then he needs to retire before his legacy becomes: "Patterson did great at TCU so long as they were in the minor leagues, but he couldn't hack it in the Big XII and they sunk back to irrelevance."

This coaching staff is going nowhere, slowly. If it's the only one GP can hold together, then it's time.

To be clear: I still think he's got the stuff and I still believe in him. But his loyalty is killing us; has been for a few years now.
When did he do good in the Power 5, when we had Meach and Bump on staff, and had Dykes as an analyst.

HToady

Only one coach has longer tenure at one place than Gary. Kirk Firentz. How's Iowa been?

Sometimes enthusiasm wains when staying in one place for a long time.