• The KillerFrogs

Gundy or GP

Froggish

What’s the difference? Both programs are in very similar places... One is an offensive mind that can’t get it together defensively and who’s offense is betraying him more often than usual and the other is the exact opposite. Both coaches are the winningest coaches at their respective schools...Did OSU lose to Tech because of their offense or their defense?

I’m surrounded by OSU fans and alumni.. Despite the two programs similar outcomes, OSU fans don’t sit around and defend Gundy worrying what their program will be like without him...I find that remarkable because we can’t seem to envision a world where GP is told to hang it up.

Last edited:

steelfrog

Tier 1
Steel can certainly envision such a world...

But, getting there is going to take leadership making decisions based on hopes, not fears, and with vision.

Gary certainly has been instrumental in building the program into what it is now (along with MANY others), but that does not mean he's best to lead it going forward. He appears to now be hampering its development.

Froggish

Lot of heat on Gundy up in OK....All over radio that they see this as a must win this week vs Baylor...

Would you be surprised to know that OSUs run/pass mix is almost the same as TCU? Both throwing the ball less than 40% of the time...

Again...Why do both the old dog coaches in the conference continue to put under performing teams on the field?...Both have QB issues for the second year in a row. It would seem that great running games have limited upside...The game is changing

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Lot of heat on Gundy up in OK....All over radio that they see this as a must win this week vs Baylor...

Would you be surprised to know that OSUs run/pass mix is almost the same as TCU? Both throwing the ball less than 40% of the time...

Again...Why do both the old dog coaches in the conference continue to put under performing teams on the field?...Both have QB issues for the second year in a row. It would seem that great running games have limited upside...The game is changing
Does Gundy have three top 10 finishes in since 2014? How many coaches that do would you accuse of putting underperforming teams on the field continually?

Froggish

Does Gundy have three top 10 finishes in since 2014? How many coaches that do would you accuse of putting underperforming teams on the field continually?

No he doesn’t but he does have 10 win football teams in 4 of the last 6, all being top 20 finishes. Only pointing out that patterns of struggles and the “old school” criticisms at OSU and TCU are very similar.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I’d be interested to see what Gundry would do at a private school and GP ata State school. I think GP has done more with less than any coach I can think of. Especially when you consider where TCU was when he began. OSU isn’t much if any better than it has ways been, which Has been a middle of the pack to a little better every once in a while.

Froggish

If TCU can upset Texas or OU this year will look totally different. Got to beat Kansas State first, can't lose this game.

Interesting that one of the BETA Rank stat guys I follow online believes that based on our current performance data, we would be the favorites in every game the rest of the way except for OU....He believes if we continue to perform like we are we are coin flip favorite against UT/Baylor and better then everyone accept OU. Seems crazy but I Hope he’s right. We still control a lot of our destiny and your right, we string together a couple of nice wins we will all be looking at this team in a completely different light.

netty2424

Not saying this is even a remote possibility, but as a hypothetical, I wouldn’t have any issue with Gundy as a HC.

And before people lose their minds, I’m not advocating GP leaves to bring in Gundy. Not even close to what I’m saying. I’d prefer GP 10/10, just saying if the job became open.

Froggish

Not saying this is even a remote possibility, but as a hypothetical, I wouldn’t have any issue with Gundy as a HC.

And before people lose their minds, I’m not advocating GP leaves to bring in Gundy. Not even close to what I’m saying. I’d prefer GP 10/10, just saying if the job became open.

Were either of those two to be fired I doubt either of the coach again... Both have made their money

Agree, but not likely, but do agree on Gary stepping down.

No. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. I'm not sold yet he has hit the roof. After the ISU game I did have that overreaction. But Gary is a dang good head coach. Gary has ton of respect with the high school coaches, his players and recruits, and TCU boosters. And It's hard to replace a legend. I dont think Gary is done winning. I'm also worried that TCU would go get a Charlie Strong type coach too who isn't ready for big time football and TCU is stuck with that coach for 3-5 years depending on contract and any other type pressure to wait and let that coach hopefully figure it out. Let's see how Kansas State game plays out and the game versus Texas.

asleep003

No he doesn’t but he does have 10 win football teams in 4 of the last 6, all being top 20 finishes. Only pointing out that patterns of struggles and the “old school” criticisms at OSU and TCU are very similar.
Froggish … please.
a) Would you rather have 4 top 20 finishes with no top 10s in last 6 seasons.
b) Or 3 top 10 finishes in the past 5 years(one being a top 5(#3) finish.
c) Plus 4 years earlier to that period, the Frogs finished #2(w/Rose Bowl win)

Easily go with GP's Run over the past 6 or 10 years … though I like Gundy.
The main similarity is that both have over achieved their recruiting rankings.