• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Could TCU go back to Alex Delton as its starting QB?

Wexahu

so you think gary making that comment and not practice and playing time will keep the three quarterbacks healthy?

you also think that pulling duggan with a lead and then re-inserting him to "keep him from getting hurt" early on and then exposing him to risk later when the game was out of hand was more important than live reps for a guy in his second career start and 4th college game period?

I'd love to hear an explanation as to why Collins didn't get Delton's reps. This Delton thing just makes no sense to me. It almost seems like certain promises were made and we're trying to hold up our end of the bargain. Where else does a 5th year senior who's been with the program 6 months get preferential treatment over promising underclassmen who quite honestly have performed at least as well and probably better.

Eight

Yes, egos are fragile things, mentally happy. You left that off your post, not just physical.

Real simple - the less plays on the field, the less chance of getting hurt.
That does not mean that is the only factor. The coaches can put him back in if another QB struggles, if they want to have him test certain skills or see how he handles certain players.

just curious, have you been in a situation be it in a sport or work were you are being told one thing, but the exact opposite is being done.

as far as less plays mean less chance of getting hurt there is also the flip side of less plays mean less reps mean less learning in live game situations.

think as you wish, i just truly hope the staff doesn't think in a similar manner

CountryFrog

I was listening to GP’s interview for on the way home from the game. This seemed like a throw away comment that I read nothing into at the time, especially since Duggan led us to three straight TD’s to open the game.
I heard it too and also took it the same way. It was literally a single sentence in the middle of a classic GP tangent that neither answered the question asked nor provided any actual insight into the team.

Eight

I'd love to hear an explanation as to why Collins didn't get Delton's reps. This Delton thing just makes no sense to me. It almost seems like certain promises were made and we're trying to hold up our end of the bargain. Where else does a 5th year senior who's been with the program 6 months get preferential treatment over promising underclassmen who quite honestly have performed at least as well and probably better.

i believe that collins was more injured than anyone outside the program knew which partly explains the search for multiple transfer quarterbacks.

i think that collins not being well in the fall set up a situation where you had a 5th year transfer and a true freshman.

your question about promises or commitments made to delton does make sense, but how is that different than the promise made to robinson about playing quarterback?

then we now have collins in the mix and in all honesty i agree with you that i don't see anything from delton that i didn't see from collins which raises the question that are we going to continue to see 3 quarterbacks or 2 and if we see 2 who are the those 2 quarterbacks?

CountryFrog

Max had gotten basically every snap since the middle of the 1st quarter against Purdue. Would I have PREFERRED that he finished the first half against Kansas? Absolutely. But I also don't have a big issue with Delton getting a couple series. I really don't think that Duggan missing out on a handful of pass attempts vs Kansas is going to have any impact at all on his development.

The fact that Max got every single snap against SMU despite struggling mightily in the first half tells us all we need to know, imo, about how the coaching staff feels about these QB's. And I don't care at all what GP says about them at a press conference.

CountryFrog

i believe that collins was more injured than anyone outside the program knew which partly explains the search for multiple transfer quarterbacks.

i think that collins not being well in the fall set up a situation where you had a 5th year transfer and a true freshman.

your question about promises or commitments made to delton does make sense, but how is that different than the promise made to robinson about playing quarterback?

then we now have collins in the mix and in all honesty i agree with you that i don't see anything from delton that i didn't see from collins which raises the question that are we going to continue to see 3 quarterbacks or 2 and if we see 2 who are the those 2 quarterbacks?
I think Delton will continue to be sprinkled into the offense here and there. I think that if we have to turn to another QB for an extended period of time, for whatever reason, then it will likely be Collins.

frog-hat

It’s time for Collins to get deltons snaps. Delton was an insurance premium that made sense to buy but you hope you don’t need. With Duggar’s progress and Collins health it’s time to say thank you Alex Delton, we’ve got some special packages for you to run, but otherwise you’re #3 barrring an injury to 1 or 2

Endless Purple

just curious, have you been in a situation be it in a sport or work were you are being told one thing, but the exact opposite is being done.

as far as less plays mean less chance of getting hurt there is also the flip side of less plays mean less reps mean less learning in live game situations.

think as you wish, i just truly hope the staff doesn't think in a similar manner

What specific area are you referring to as being told one thing and the exact opposite is being done?

But, yes I have seen examples of that in work.
Yes, I have played competitive sports, just not in college,
Yes, I deal with college students on a daily basis as a professor where I have to motivate and teach to get high level results.
Yes, I will think as I wish, you are welcome to do the same, and I doubt the coaching staff has little care for either of our opinions.

Not sure why you are so put out by GP saying that Delton looked the most comfortable. It is a pretty minor statement, that lets him know the coach noticed his play. He also has the most playing experience at a Big 12 level so he should look the most comfortable on the field. No revelation here.

As far as less plays means less reps in a live game, true, but also less chance to step outside and watch what is happening from the sidelines and see how others are reading and responding to what is happening on the field. There are many times a person needs to step aside and see a different perspective to learn (live is not always the same as on tape). I did not spend the entire time watching Duggan on the sidelines while the game was being played to analyze his actions, so cannot say exactly what was happening in this specific instance.

Eight

What specific area are you referring to as being told one thing and the exact opposite is being done?

But, yes I have seen examples of that in work.
Yes, I have played competitive sports, just not in college,
Yes, I deal with college students on a daily basis as a professor where I have to motivate and teach to get high level results.
Yes, I will think as I wish, you are welcome to do the same, and I doubt the coaching staff has little care for either of our opinions.

Not sure why you are so put out by GP saying that Delton looked the most comfortable. It is a pretty minor statement, that lets him know the coach noticed his play. He also has the most playing experience at a Big 12 level so he should look the most comfortable on the field. No revelation here.

As far as less plays means less reps in a live game, true, but also less chance to step outside and watch what is happening from the sidelines and see how others are reading and responding to what is happening on the field. There are many times a person needs to step aside and see a different perspective to learn (live is not always the same as on tape). I did not spend the entire time watching Duggan on the sidelines while the game was being played to analyze his actions, so cannot say exactly what was happening in this specific instance.

i am not put out about gary's comments. i might find them odd and i might disagree about delton looking more comfortable, but outside of discussing it on this site i really don't get it a thought or discuss it elsewhere.

merely find it interesting he keeps going down this rabbit hole with delton as he almost has his mind made up from the beginning on delton when delton struggled to be an effective quarterback his last two years are kansas st which is why he lost playing time to ertz.

less reps mean less plays on film, it means less repetition, and this gets even more complicated with the presence of mike collins.

Latest posts