• The KillerFrogs

Heartland college sports - Big 12 Football’s Week 1: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

H0RNEDFR0G

Houston made OU look good. Houston is not what they were in 2015-2016. Since Herman left, their defense is atrocious.

Last year UH was 127 of 130 in total defense. That was with Ed Oliver. Tech dropped 63 points on Houston week 2 last year and TTU didn't break 50 points for the rest of the season. How many missed tackles did you see against Oklahoma? I saw at least 20. I'd say UAPB tackles much better than UH.

Even though the stat line doesn't look like it, Hurts performance was actually not that good. He didn't go through his progressions, when his first WR was covered, he took off. I eventually lost track, but in the first quarter: out of 8 passes, 6 of them were to his first read. I don't think Baker or Kyler threw to their first read 75% of the time. The first time he checked down and threw to a 2nd or 3rd read, he threw the ball into double coverage (2:55 - 1st).

The majority his passing yards were YAC. That was made possible by great WR play and terrible defense/tackling. Case in point, the first pass of the day was behind the line of scrimmage. WR pops for 16 YAC. First TD pass was to the line, 14 YAC. His longest pass of the day, was actually about a 6 yard slant pass where Rambo broke 2 tackles, had 50 YAC. Haselwood pass in the 3rd Q, Hurts dinks it about 10 yards, WR breaks 5 tackles and gets 32 YAC. In just those 4 examples that's 16 yards passing 112 YAC.

There's no doubt that Hurts is dangerous in Lincoln's system. OU has a TON of talent. But this guy is no Kyler or Baker. They aren't as invincible as they have been for the past 3 years. If Hurts plays us like he played Houston, we can beat them.

Froggish

There's no doubt that Hurts is dangerous in Lincoln's system. OU has a TON of talent. But this guy is no Kyler or Baker.

I can appreciate your sentiment, but the beauty of what Lincoln did is he created a system where Hurts can be successful without needing to be Kyler or Baker. Every successful offense with a passing game gets plenty of YAC. It not always by accident or super human tackle breaking. Its often because the OC knows how to get the right match ups. You may see OU as some how less invincible then in years past, but its also possible that there every bit as good but attacking different then they in previous years.

We will have our hands full every bit as we have in the past.

InstaFrog

Came here for the continued beating....was not disappointed.
Reminds me of the Kenny Hill/Shawn Robinson beatings from a couple years ago
giphy.gif

RoyaltyWorePurple

Samford didn't lose to South Dakota State the previous year 90-6 or go 2-9 in FCS with multiple 50+ point beatings. They gave up over 550 yards on defense against FCS teams last year and were the worst defense in a lower tier division. UAPB is truly horrendous and yet they were within 2 scores late in the 3rd quarter and able to force stops on our offense. Woof.

Now things can absolutely turn around and the season is not "lost" as some have said. GP is going to get more involved on offense and maybe that has a positive effect (or maybe not haha). But I do think it's fair to reset your expectations a bit after Saturday.
It's almost as if we played a different team than last year.

Wexahu

I can appreciate your sentiment, but the beauty of what Lincoln did is he created a system where Hurts can be successful without needing to be Kyler or Baker. Every successful offense with a passing game gets plenty of YAC. It not always by accident or super human tackle breaking. Its often because the OC knows how to get the right match ups. You may see OU as some how less invincible then in years past, but its also possible that there every bit as good but attacking different then they in previous years.

We will have our hands full every bit as we have in the past.

You might be right, but I still think you're getting a little carried away. It was one game and Houston's defense, if it is anything like last year's, is downright AWFUL. I have a feeling in the passing game OU isn't going to be as dangerous. Time will tell, won't really know for sure until they play against a defense that can offer some resistance.

We are going to have our hands full no matter what though, mainly because regardless of how much we can contain their offense, we'll still have to score plenty of points. Therein lies the problem.

Froggish

You might be right, but I still think you're getting a little carried away. It was one game and Houston's defense, if it is anything like last year's, is downright AWFUL. I have a feeling in the passing game OU isn't going to be as dangerous. Time will tell, won't really know for sure until they play against a defense that can offer some resistance.

We are going to have our hands full no matter what though, mainly because regardless of how much we can contain their offense, we'll still have to score plenty of points. Therein lies the problem.

Fair enough..My bigger point is that just because they may not attack down the field the way they did last year doesn’t meen they won’t be better in the run game or short intermediate passing game. We just don’t know after one game much about anyone. Just like TCU, there is little glean until the competition is better. UH was terrible defensively. No argument there.

BigPurple87

Sc does not know anything about running. The closest thing he knows how to do is a screen pass. Now that I say, all the screen passes must be his idea of running the ball