• The KillerFrogs

Amidst all this angst against Cumbie, what got Meacham demoted/ousted?

Horny4TCU

I think there is something more there with Meach and Patterson. Patterson isn't about running up the score, but Patterson did keep Meach's KU squad to 21 yards.

LoudFrog

I thought it was because if we canned sonny we would lose Robinson, right?
100% Meach left on his own. Gary gave Sonny calling duties because Sonny was being lured to other programs, ole miss etc. Yes, giving Sonny play calling duties was to keep Robinson. Gary frustrated with Doug because Dougs offense didn't cater to Gary defense. Gary doesn't fire people. Sonnys first time calling plays was here. He is still learning. Hoping Meach gets back to the college game

tetonfrog

I always thought Meach was the fall guy during the 6-7 season.

That was Hill's first year here. Frankly, we were horrible that year on offense. Could not block people at all and it led some questionable calls. I remember we struggled in short yardage all year because the OL got pushed back every time. From the Wild Frog struggles with Hicks against OSU to the double reverse against Georgia. There was also the fade to Dez White from Sawyer. A lot of head-scratching calls from Meach that had us infuriated and confused.

To make matters worse, we were small in the DL that year and GP's defense got worn down in conference play. It was a long, frustrating year for all us that ended with three straight home losses.

It resulted with GP giving SC the chance to call plays and Meach left over it. I never knew the behind-the-scenes stuff, but I remember most of the TCU fans were OK with the move.

The thing we miss most from Meach is that he was a good WR coach. Our WRs have struggled ever since and it sounds like the struggles continued last night. But I would be shocked if he ever came back to FW. Would you return to a job where you were demoted?

Rabidfrog

Believe this to be the case. I remember in the Tech 82-27 game, he read Meach the riot act on the sideline for running the score up. Meach had the attitude of crushing you if he could and would not take his foot off the gas. Believe there was a personality conflict and Sonny was more the docile type.
Reminds me of when UT beat us 81-16 in '74. Darrell Royal played everyone on his team, but they all wanted to score too, so the charge that he ran up the score prolly was not valid, especially when a team was as demoralized as ours was. And actually, I think it is degrading to the losers when a team lets the foot off the pedal.

Billy Clyde

Believe this to be the case. I remember in the Tech 82-27 game, he read Meach the riot act on the sideline for running the score up. Meach had the attitude of crushing you if he could and would not take his foot off the gas. Believe there was a personality conflict and Sonny was more the docile type.

I was losing my mind in the 4th quarter of that game. What the bloody hell was Boykin doing still in the game, up by 50? Absurd. And then, iirc, he took a hard hit and got nicked up a bit. So dumb.