• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘I’ll have more say.’ TCU’s Gary Patterson making final call on QB situation

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
‘I’ll have more say.’ TCU’s Gary Patterson making final call on QB situation

By Drew Davison

TCU coach Gary Patterson isn’t going to default to co-offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie when it comes to the quarterback decisions this fall.

Patterson said he’d have “more say” on the subject, and that started with him declaring that Kansas State graduate transfer Alex Delton and true freshman Max Duggan would each play in the first quarter of Saturday’s opener against Arkansas- Pine Bluff.

Patterson mentioned multiple times last season that he’d like to see Mike Collins get more snaps early in the season, but Cumbie and the offensive staff preferred having “one guy” take the majority of snaps in Shawn Robinson.

“They got their say,” Patterson said. “Now I have a say. That’s not happening.”

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article234450152.html#storylink=cpy

4th. down

GP learned his lesson and rightfully so, because after all, he is the boss.

The Robinson fiasco was painful and we all experienced it. What is worrisome to me is Cumbie/Luper knew all along that Robinson was not all in because of his lackadaisical work ethic in the weight room, film, and QB meetings. The players all knew it (you cannot fool the players) but Cumbie/Luper didn't. That's what bothers me going forward and those Frogs wanting Cumbie to be our next HC probably need to reflect more on the subject.

Froggish

Certainly confirms all the stuff that was rumored in regard to Shawn being promised things instead being asked to earn them. If you tie these comments to earlier comments made at Big12 media days about getting back to evaluating properly and doing things the “old” ways, you can see that GP isn’t very happy about the stomach and headaches needed that to recruit 4 and 5 stars.

I think the biggest issue with 5 star kids isn’t their work ethic, it’s their resolve. They just have no patience

ticketfrog123

GP learned his lesson and rightfully so, because after all, he is the boss.

The Robinson fiasco was painful and we all experienced it. What is worrisome to me is Cumbie/Luper knew all along that Robinson was not all in because of his lackadaisical work ethic in the weight room, film, and QB meetings. The players all knew it (you cannot fool the players) but Cumbie/Luper didn't. That's what bothers me going forward and those Frogs wanting Cumbie to be our next HC probably need to reflect more on the subject.

Yeah the next HC being Cumbie is certainly starting to cool.

If he can’t pick the better performing guys to get reps and play-calling is still a concern after this year, then who knows.

riffram2011

Certainly confirms all the stuff that was rumored in regard to Shawn being promised things instead being asked to earn them. If you tie these comments to earlier comments made at Big12 media days about getting back to evaluating properly and doing things the “old” ways, you can see that GP isn’t very happy about the stomach and headaches needed that to recruit 4 and 5 stars.

I think the biggest issue with 5 star kids isn’t their work ethic, it’s their resolve. They just have no patience

I don't think it's a lack of resolve. Not to get too deep here, but the largest growing job sector has been temp and gig economy jobs, where you have to hustle and "take your talents" to where they are wanted. When you've got four years to make an impression in the NFL, you want to make sure that's going to happen.

FrogCop19

I don't think it's a lack of resolve. Not to get too deep here, but the largest growing job sector has been temp and gig economy jobs, where you have to hustle and "take your talents" to where they are wanted. When you've got four years to make an impression in the NFL, you want to make sure that's going to happen.

From a coach's perspective, the biggest thing I see is that these kids are being told from the age of 12 that they are the greatest athlete in the world. Unfortunately that usually works against them, as they don't feel the need to work hard to be the best they can be because they're head and shoulders above everyone else in their school/zone/district. I've seen kids that are naturally gifted, though, get passed up by the kids with the chip on their shoulders. Those are the kids that out-work, out-hustle, and out-study the gifted athletes to become the 1% of the 1%. History is littered with amazing athletes that couldn't get used to making the transfer of being the big fish in a little pond to the little fish in the ocean.

It doesn't matter how many times they transfer. If they've never had to work for a position before, they take their ball and go home if they think they're not the best. They simply don't know how to work because they've never really had to, and work ethic is a much harder skill set to develop once you think you don't need it.

4th. down

One hopes that Sonny has learned a lesson here.

Well, he definitely has had his hands slapped. There have been mucho doubts about his OC functions and now I'm wondering about his Whisper accolades with the Robinson situation. GP is in his 2 yr. evaluation process so this may be very important for Sonny.

Froggish

Well... You've got a few years to prep for reality.

I think GP is probably figuring out that young innovative OC he thought he hired really didn’t have the experience to apply any of that innovation. As I’ve said a million times on this forum, elite football programs do not hire coordinators who have never called plays. Just because Cumbie had the title of Co-OC did not mean he was capable of calling a game and matching wits with veteran DCs...I truly believe his hire had everything to do with how put off he was with Meachums lack of balance. In 2016 you could see GPs head explode every time his defense has to head back on to the field after another 3 & out 45 second rest.

I still have hope that this is the year the light comes on for Cumbie. The program is invested heavily in him at this point and he needs to deliver us an exciting and efficient offense that is complimentary of GPs defense.

Athletes are in place and recruiting has improved...Its time

Last edited:

texas_sicilian

I think GP is probably figuring out that young innovative OC he thought he thought hired really didn’t have the experience to apply any of that innovation. As I’ve said a million times on this forum, elite football programs due not hire coordinators who have never called plays. Just because Cumbie had the title of Co-OC did not mean he was capable of calling a game and matching wits with veteran DCs...I truly believe his hire had everything to do with how put off he was with Meachums lack of balance. In 2016 you could see GPs head explode every time his defense has to head back on to the field after another 3 & out 45 second rest.

I still have hope that this is the year the light comes on for Cumbie. The program is invested heavily in him at this point and he needs to deliver us an exciting and efficient offense that is complimentary of GPs defense.

Athletes are in place and recruiting has improved...Its time
Couldn’t have said it better.

Frogo

I didn't read the article at all as a hit on Cumbie--who CGP clearly has confidence in, else he would not be where he is. But CGP--the LHCMFGP--recognized how attached a position coach, especially perhaps a QB coach, can become to a player he's helped recruit, nurture, and support. That "tree" looms large in the eyes of the position coach, but it's the HC's responsibility to see the forest.