• The KillerFrogs

FWST: After being swept by Baylor, TCU baseball coach hopes team has reached ‘basement’

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
After being swept by Baylor, TCU baseball coach hopes team has reached ‘basement’

By Drew Davison

TCU baseball coach Jim Schlossnagle hopes this is the basement floor. It’s hard to envision much worse.

Baylor completed a three-game sweep of the Frogs on Sunday afternoon, winning 12-1 in a run-rule game after eight innings at Lupton Stadium. The Bears outscored the Frogs 33-6 in the series. It is Baylor’s first three-game sweep of TCU in Fort Worth since 1990.

TCU (23-19, 6-9 Big 12) had 10 errors over the three-game stretch and has now lost five straight and eight of its last nine. Baylor (30-12, 12-5) has won four straight and is the Big 12’s leading team.

“I’m sure hoping this is the basement,” Schlossnagle said. “I’m hoping this is the bottom floor. You can only go up from here.”

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article229786389.html#storylink=cpy

Pharm Frog

I’m not willing to bet we have seen the basement yet

If you don't think losing 8 of 9 with the last three games being outscored 33-6 is "the basement", you are one hard fella to impress. Personally, I think we took our shovels into the basement a few games back. The tone that I don't much like is the "it's partially my fault" followed up by "injuries". Maybe it's just a coach spit-balling for reasons but it's not a good look when CGP does it and it's not a good look when CJS does it. I tend to give it a pass though because it's FTWST reporting and who knows if he said it or was even interviewed for the story.

An informed reporter might point out that, yes, we've had pitching injuries before (including Wymer and JJ last year and remember Burnett and Traver and Baker) and the team that just smacked us around the field for three games lost the reigning Big 12 pitcher of the year and had no problem holding our offense to 6 runs in three games. There's no doubt that losing Sloan and Smith are huge losses but then again, there's no certainty either one of them would have been any more special than Cal or Jake or Augie this season.

If you don't think losing 8 of 9 with the last three games being outscored 33-6 is "the basement", you are one hard fella to impress. Personally, I think we took our shovels into the basement a few games back. The tone that I don't much like is the "it's partially my fault" followed up by "injuries". Maybe it's just a coach spit-balling for reasons but it's not a good look when CGP does it and it's not a good look when CJS does it. I tend to give it a pass though because it's FTWST reporting and who knows if he said it or was even interviewed for the story.

An informed reporter might point out that, yes, we've had pitching injuries before (including Wymer and JJ last year and remember Burnett and Traver and Baker) and the team that just smacked us around the field for three games lost the reigning Big 12 pitcher of the year and had no problem holding our offense to 6 runs in three games. There's no doubt that losing Sloan and Smith are huge losses but then again, there's no certainty either one of them would have been any more special than Cal or Jake or Augie this season.
To me “basement” implies a floor. I don’t think this team has found it yet.

Latest posts