• The KillerFrogs

post bowl game recruiting wish list

tcudoc

Next year's defense is going to be sick if we stay healthy.

tumblr_lny6fvUxqD1qep0oso1_400.gif

FrogLifeYo

I disagree to some extent. If we can get someone to hit 50% on the deep ball, a whole lot will change. In bowl game, our guys were open but the passes were no where close. That’s not bad coaching or play calling, that’s bad passes and all three of our guys have done it.
We aren’t very creative in our rout running...the only deep routs (+20) we run are stretch verticals...No crossing routs or deep posts...I hate our bubble screen and square in/out Offense..Creative for us is the once a game slant

kidkarr

We aren’t very creative in our rout running...the only deep routs (+20) we run are stretch verticals...No crossing routs or deep posts...I hate our bubble screen and square in/out Offense..Creative for us is the once a game slant
I’m not saying it can’t get better, just that it wouldn’t look as dismal if we hit on a deep ball to open guys every now and then.

Casey T

I think we have a good kicker already on the roster. Might not have a huge leg for 50+ yarders but he can be consistent from <45 yards, and that's good enough. For some reason our staff doesn't stick with him though.

This is so wrong and I don’t understand how you continue to post it. Our FG game has sucked since Jaden left

Wexahu

This is so wrong and I don’t understand how you continue to post it. Our FG game has sucked since Jaden left

We have a kicker on the roster who has made 96% of his extra points and 85% of his FGs.......but instead we keep running a kid out there who has made 93% of his PTAs and 63% of his FGs. Makes no sense. And it's not like Bunce only attempts long kicks, his range on FGs isn't much, if any, better than Song's.

Maybe Song sucks, I don't know, but he makes a good percentage of his kicks when he's allowed to try them.

PO Frog

We have a kicker on the roster who has made 96% of his extra points and 85% of his FGs.......but instead we keep running a kid out there who has made 93% of his PTAs and 63% of his FGs. Makes no sense. And it's not like Bunce only attempts long kicks, his range on FGs isn't much, if any, better than Song's.

Maybe Song sucks, I don't know, but he makes a good percentage of his kicks when he's allowed to try them.
I agree with this. There is a big doghouse factor for GP and Song (IMO) and I think that factors into a lot of the decision making. I am sure performance in practice counts for a lot, but the proof is in the pudding as for results in actual games. When healthy and allowed to kick (another questionable factor...) he has been pretty solid and most certainly better than the CFB average.

Eight

1) A little early on Barlow; never saw him on video, even in 3A ball, show any kind of performance/toughness resembling what we saw Sewo do against a P5 defense
this past Wed nite. But yes, another quality RB would be great.

2) The OL did do well last nite. However, what I saw from the 30 yard line, 30 rows up on about a dozen plays, by Sewo... was a bowling ball going right thru a set of bowling pins and those pins flying every where. It reminded me of the Tyler Rose, who pounded and pounded until they were just beaten up and softened up, then usually got majority of his yards the 2nd half.

So Sewo gets every bit or more of the credit for the rushing performance as this was probably the very best D the frogs have seen all year. The OL failed miserably on the pass protection and most any QB was not going to have the best of nights. Like all the 3 prospects at QB next year, as long as we can give any of them reasonable pass protection. Really liked what I saw in Collins, with the coolness/arm/smarts/and
solid wheels for a big guy... lots of obvious upside.

3) Totally agree

4) Would defer to the 2nd paragraph of my #2 ... though to rent QB depth for 1 year couldn't hurt while developing the lack of experience of 2, though talented, at QB.

just to be clear sewo's yards were the result of sewo's efforts for the most part and not a byproduct of improved running blocking?

Eight

i do agree the routes for the most part appear to be vertical and seam routes and very few crossing the defense or sitting down in areas of a zone.

the classic example to me is the pass play against iowa state where the two outside receivers ran vertical routes, davis ran a post route that was covered by the play over the slot and the safety and the back on play action drifted to the flat.

the underneath was wide open for a crossing route by the back or a release by the tight end

neutral observer

I disagree to some extent. If we can get someone to hit 50% on the deep ball, a whole lot will change. In bowl game, our guys were open but the passes were no where close. That’s not bad coaching or play calling, that’s bad passes and all three of our guys have done it.
Agree!

tcudoc

consistencydemotivator.jpeg

asleep003

So often these comments are made … yet so often the OL play just isn't in the equation of many of the shares. How many times did Muehl have the pleasure of finding an open receiver due to the instant pressure. Even on the quick outs and bubble screens, there was often pressure. Less than a 1/2 doz times did Muehlstein have a chance to throw free of instant pressure. QB play was poor, but a little more help from the OL could have helped too. This OL had little resemblance to the 2017 OL... this just has to improve. There are a couple of OL spots that just need major improvement.

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

So often these comments are made … yet so often the OL play just isn't in the equation of many of the shares. How many times did Muehl have the pleasure of finding an open receiver due to the instant pressure. Even on the quick outs and bubble screens, there was often pressure. Less than a 1/2 doz times did Muehlstein have a chance to throw free of instant pressure. QB play was poor, but a little more help from the OL could have helped too. This OL had little resemblance to the 2017 OL... this just has to improve. There are a couple of OL spots that just need major improvement.

There were many things wrong with the game the other night but the OL was not one of them IMO.

FrogLifeYo

I don’t know...I rewatched the game and just like was noted in the game thread..Muehlstein was very often running out of the pocket with little no pressure coming from the interior..All he had to was feel the pressure on the outside and step up in the pocket and deliver the pass like a normal quarterback does...Instead he was taking off and running out of the pocket when he didn’t have to. Every QB get pressure from the outside..That’s why it’s called a pocket...

IMO while they had some struggles, The OL played probably its best game of the season against CAL