• The KillerFrogs

Fall 2018 Board of Trustees Meeting

TCUdirtbag

Surprised this thread wasn’t started Friday. There hasn’t been much coverage of the biannual meeting. In fact I see TCU hasn’t even issued a press release. There is a story on TCU360 and in TCU This Week, plus one element covered in the FWBP. But I haven’t event seen a FWST article pop up yet. Anywho, the highlights:

- 2019-2020 tuition: up 4.9% to $49,160 (will cross 50k next year)
- MD school: began accepting applications today; reminder: a donor is covering first-year tuition for every student
- New Administration will break ground in January between Bellaire and Berry on the current surface lot across from the TBPW Apartment parking lot. 18-month project. Sadler will then be renovated for the Honors College and Scharbauer will becomes all-AddRan.
- I have not heard if forward progress was made with regard to BLUU expansion. Once complete, many Jarvis components will be repurposed with student services and admin all moving to the new Admin and expanded BLUU
- The $53 M music building is on track. The main concert hall will be named for Van Cliburn and the building will house a small museum.
- One of the two under-construction residence halls in Worth Hills will he named Richards Hall. Naming rights for the other still available.
- Construction continues on the Neeley School. The new 212-seat auditorium being added on the east end of Smith has been named for a donor - Shaddock Auditorium.
- Other continuing construction includes the fine arts building (Moudy East) and the AGCS project.
- TCU hotel should start next year. Pending final plans and replacement parking.
- The College of Fine Arts (which is searching for a new dean) now has an endowed Deanship named for the King family.

The private phase of the capital campaign (which I believe will culminate with TCU’s 150th anniversary in 2023) has already raised $500 M. Public launch slated for next fall.

Will report more here if/when it comes out.

Last edited:

Frog Island

Surprised this thread wasn’t started Friday. There hasn’t been much coverage of the biannual meeting. In fact I see TCU hasn’t even issued a press release. There is a story on TCU360 and in TCU This Week, plus one element covered in the FWBP. But I haven’t event seen a FWST article pop up yet. Anywho, the highlights:

This is just ridiculous. How much more could it possibly go up before people start revolting? I'm not just talking TCU, just higher ed in general.

TCUdirtbag

Administrative bloat. It's pointless and expensive. And sadly, TCU is not immune.

The “administrative bloat” is a somewhat fair twist of the reality. TCU is providing the services and class sizes students and parents demand of a top 100 private education. The demand obviously exists, but those services etc. are the differentiator in a private TCU education. Baylor, SMU, Tulane, Miami, USC, Wake, etc. are all in line price and service wise. What you consider bloat is what makes a TCU education different from a lot of other places and why people will pay a premium.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
No, they have a name and a reputation that was built years ago. They don't have to hire a legion of Administrators when what parents look for is quality of Professors and class sizes. All of that bloat is what runs the costs up, and it is utterly unnecessary.

LeagueCityFrog

The “administrative bloat” is a somewhat fair twist of the reality. TCU is providing the services and class sizes students and parents demand of a top 100 private education. The demand obviously exists, but those services etc. are the differentiator in a private TCU education. Baylor, SMU, Tulane, Miami, USC, Wake, etc. are all in line price and service wise. What you consider bloat is what makes a TCU education different from a lot of other places and why people will pay a premium.
I would like to see how well funded these Higher Ed people's retirement funds have been juiced out over the last ten years.

Surfrog

- MD school: began accepting applications today; reminder: a donor is covering first-year tuition for every student
- New Administration will break ground in January between Bellaire and Berry on the current surface lot across from the TBPW Apartment parking lot. 18-month project. Sadler will then be renovated for the Honors College and Scharbauer will becomes all-AddRan.
- I have not heard if forward progress was made with regard to BLUU expansion. Once complete, many Jarvis components will be repurposed with student services and admin all moving to the new Admin and expanded BLUU
- The $53 M music building is on track. The main concert hall will be named for Van Cliburn and the building will house a small museum.
- One of the two under-construction residence halls in Worth Hills will he named Richards Hall. Naming rights for the other still available.
- Construction continues on the Neeley School. The new 212-seat auditorium being added on the east end of Smith has been named for a donor - Shaddock Auditorium.
- Other continuing construction includes the fine arts building (Moudy East) and the AGCS project.
- TCU hotel should start next year. Pending final plans and replacement parking.
- The College of Fine Arts (which is searching for a new dean) now has an endowed Deanship named for the King family.

The private phase of the capital campaign (which I believe will culminate with TCU’s 150th anniversary in 2023) has already raised $500 M. Public launch slated for next fall.

Will report more here if/when it comes out.

Has gone up by 5% literally every year or semester. Even more, when you get a 50% scholarship, that 50% is only for the said year, so by the end of your four years you end up with a 33% in aid. The bubble has to burst soon.

Everyone now has a B.S./B.A. you need something else to set you apart. It's getting stupid.

Surfrog

I have a copy of the invoice sent to my parents for the Fall semester of 1965 for 16 hours tuition for a total of $420. That also included a parking permit for $6. I know I'm old but this tuition cost is getting out of hand at TCU.

Even adjusting for inflation, it's still only $3,398.22 in today's money.

Big Frog II

I do have to wonder where the tipping point is for college tuition. I will say, the TCU these students attend is pretty fabulous. Everything is first rate. I just don't know how many more years students will be able to afford the increases. Hope we can build our endowment up so our scholarship fund will help pay for a big percentage of it.