• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: 4 X As Sweet! Men's Tennis Into Third Round

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/m-tennis/recaps/051318aaa.html

GoFrogs: 4 X As Sweet! Men's Tennis Into Third Round

Final Stats | Photo Gallery
media-icon-photogallery.gif

FORT WORTH, Texas – For the fourth straight year, the No. 8 TCU men’s tennis team was able to score a 4-0 sweep of No. 33 Oregon in the second round of the 2018 NCAA Division I Men’s Tennis Championship on Sunday at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center in Fort Worth as the Horned Frogs advance to the Round of 16.

The Frogs (20-4) picked up win No. 20 on the season over the Ducks (18-10) by dominating every court across singles and doubles. The No. 6 pair of Guillermo Nuñez and Alex Rybakov made quick work on court one to start the match by getting their 13th straight victory over the season with a 6-1 win over No. 53 Thomas Laurent and Cormac Clissold. The doubles point was wrapped up for TCU on court two with Trevor Johnson and Reese Stalder picking up the 6-2 victory.

TCU continued to cruise in singles action by scoring the first set on the top four courts. No. 21 Rybakov was nearly unstoppable against No. 22 Laurent at the top position with a 6-1, 6-0 victory to put the Frogs up 2-0 in the match. Senior and No. 114 Nuñez capped off her four-year career at home with a straight-set win on court three in his final match on the TCU purple courts as the Frogs moved to within one point of the win. Stalder finished off the victory with his ninth straight win with a 6-4, 6-3 win on court four to send TCU into the next round.

Quotes from the Match
Head Coach David Roditi
“It is no secret that we have had some obstacles and challenges here in the last few weeks and as a coach, you just don’t know what you are going to get from our guys. I thought I knew what we were going to get, but you just don’t know. There was so much going on with graduation and family here and our team stepped up. Our team is led by a really unbelievable senior class with Guillermo (Nuñez) and Trevor (Johnson) and this will be their fourth trip in a row to the Sweet 16 which is not something easy to do at all and only the third senior class to accomplish it at TCU. Reese (Stalder) has been money and just keeps coming up with the ‘W’ and it has been so fun to watch him develop and grow. Our freshmen did such a good job. They needed to step up and they did. They battled in doubles, they were in it in singles and split sets and I am so proud of that freshman class to step in like that when they weren’t expected to at the beginning of the year.

“I am proud to be here and I am proud to be the coach at this university and coaching alongside Devin Bowen who will go down as one of the best coaches we have ever had here at TCU. Today was a special day for us and a special day for our players, our program, our school, our staff and I just want to thank all our fans. They have been unbelievable all year and we will have to take it on the road from here on. We will see how we come back and it will be interesting to see what this group can do. Regardless, I am proud of them.”

Match Results
Oregon vs TCU
May 12, 2018 at Fort Worth, Texas
(Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center)
#8 TCU 4, #33 Oregon 0

Singles competition
1. #21 Alex Rybakov (TCU) def. #22 Thomas Laurent (OREGON) 6-1, 6-0
2. #65 Trevor Johnson (TCU) vs. Simon Stevens (OREGON) 6-3, 4-4, unfinished
3. #114 Guillermo Nuñez (TCU) def. Akihiro Tanaka (OREGON) 6-4, 6-2
4. Reese Stalder (TCU) def. Ty Gentry (OREGON) 6-4, 6-3
5. Eduardo Roldan (TCU) vs. Cormac Clissold (OREGON) 4-6, 6-3, unfinished
6. Max Kurzban (TCU) vs. Riki Oshima (OREGON) 3-6, 3-4, unfinished

Doubles competition
1. #6 Guillermo Nuñez/Alex Rybakov (TCU) def. #53 Thomas Laurent/Cormac Clissold (OREGON) 6-1
2. Trevor Johnson/Reese Stalder (TCU) def. Ty Gentry/Simon Stevens (OREGON) 6-2
3. Max Kurzban/Eduardo Roldan (TCU) vs. Armando Soemarno/Charles Roberts (OREGON) 4-5, unfinished

Match Notes:
Oregon 18-10; National ranking #33
TCU 20-4; National ranking #8
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (1,3,4)
NCAA Division I Men's Tennis Championship Second Round
TCU advances to the third round with the win.
T-1:53 A-255

Up Next
TCU moves into the Round of 16 at the NCAA Men’s Tennis Team Championship and will face No. 9 Illinois on Friday, May 18 at 3 p.m., CT, at the Wake Forest Tennis Complex in Winston-Salem, N.C.

Limp Lizard

From Roditi's comments I got a feeling of something between the lines that I don't know about (although should, I guess). Or is that just his style of coachspeak?