• The KillerFrogs

Hate to say it... Luken was out of position.

Smooth42

rewatching the video... there is absolutely no reason for Luken to have his right foot back and on the bag in that situation.. Granted it was a freak accident, but if he has the left foot back and on the bag and the right foot forward then his left arm would have had complete range to go all the way back with the runner as the runner came through the bag. His positioning on the bag for that play was just all wrong and why you almost never see those sorts of injuries. Obviously, holding a runner at first base during a pitch you would want the right foot back, but not on a play were there is a dink hit to the pitcher and then a play at first. Too much risk of injury with a throw like that from in front of the pitcher mound.

Get well LB!

f_399

There were discussions here of him being a DH only and not on 1B... man I wish that really happened.

He is ok at 1B but a great at bat(DH)

I think Landestoy will be great at 1B

Dogfrog

Baseball is not a game that can be perfected. That's part of its greatness. Bang bang awkward plays happen at every level.

PO Frog

rewatching the video... there is absolutely no reason for Luken to have his right foot back and on the bag in that situation.. Granted it was a freak accident, but if he has the left foot back and on the bag and the right foot forward then his left arm would have had complete range to go all the way back with the runner as the runner came through the bag. His positioning on the bag for that play was just all wrong and why you almost never see those sorts of injuries. Obviously, holding a runner at first base during a pitch you would want the right foot back, but not on a play were there is a dink hit to the pitcher and then a play at first. Too much risk of injury with a throw like that from in front of the pitcher mound.

Get well LB!
Not sure if serious. Are you suggesting a right handed fielder use his left foot on the bag? Other than a VERY rare occasion, this is insane. I'd like to see one example of that happening with a right hander if you think that's a fundamental of the game. Surely you can find one.

Punter1

Not sure if serious. Are you suggesting a right handed fielder use his left foot on the bag? Other than a VERY rare occasion, this is insane. I'd like to see one example of that happening with a right hander if you think that's a fundamental of the game. Surely you can find one.

Yea...thought the exact same thing. Dude doesn't know darn about baseball. That would be like doing a right handed layup off your right foot.

Smooth42

Yea...thought the exact same thing. Dude doesn't know darn about baseball. That would be like doing a right handed layup off your right foot.

A ball coming from the catcher area you never have right foot back on a play like that one. Obvious bang bang play but it is a step on and off the bag play for the first baseman. Moron.

A ball coming from the catcher area you never have right foot back on a play like that one. Obvious bang bang play but it is a step on and off the bag play for the first baseman. Moron.

Didn't see the play but this is what I assumed you meant in your original post. I'm surprised something like this doesn't happen often. One of many reasons so why I hate right-handed 1Bmen.

Purp

The first baseman will almost always have the root on the bag that is opposite his glove hand. To do otherwise would be to shrink his catch radius. That would be dumb of a first baseman.

Pharm Frog

The first baseman will almost always have the root on the bag that is opposite his glove hand. To do otherwise would be to shrink his catch radius. That would be dumb of a first baseman.

Unless he's a RH first baseman attempting to make a catch on the outfield side of the bag in which case he actually limits his reach by almost the width of the base unless he turns his back on the play. BUT, I haven't seen that technique coached nor performed since the 1980's. A RH first baseman will ALWAYS have his right foot on the bag (inside-plate side) on a throw to the inside from the position in which Wymer's throw was coming. 100% of the time.

PurpleBlood87

Get well LB!

The throw came from the third base side toward the line .

PurpleBlood87

That's not where the ball was coming from.

Exactly watch the play the chopper went towards third and down the line.

Had the throw come from near the plate the odds are that throw would have hit the runner in the back or Luken could have called for the ball to be thrown towards the fair side of the bag.

PurpleBlood87

There were discussions here of him being a DH only and not on 1B... man I wish that really happened.

He is ok at 1B but a great at bat(DH)

I think Landestoy will be great at 1B

If he is going to be hitter in the pros then he has to play a position from time to time. His draft value is higher if he can play in the field.