• The KillerFrogs

What Coach Pitino Thinks on BE

Cougar/Frog

Wow, don't hold back coach P!!

I did not realize that Pitt was such a loser in the conference (3 championships in 6 years in ALL SPORTS!!!!) Rutgers is equally bad for a football school.

Temple in all sports is an excellent idea and Nova needs to give its envy.....

angelo's frog

Yeah, that will be a hell of a football conference if you do what he suggests (SARCASM ALERT). This just reinforces that the BE is and always will be a basketball conference first. Football is a DISTANT second. That's fine but football is what could generate the most revenue if they had a legitimate football conference. What he suggest is not really a BCS quality football conference and won't withstand the next iteration of the BCS. I also detect a slight hint that he would be more than happy to see us leave because we don't fit the geography he would like.

BelushiBob

The BE basketball conference tournament is the most profitable basketball conference tournament outside the NCAA tourney. Brings money to the table. Money to the table equals people staying and keeping AQ. Hell its keeping UofL in the BE and out of the B12 (so what the hell are you talking about?)
Gary Patterson came out in support of the BE today...... Why dont you take a Shot at HCGP???

Hell its keeping UofL in the BE and out of the B12

[/quote]

I guess we will see in the nest several days. I don't know how much pull he has.

bscttyb

I think hes pushing his own agenda. He wants the BE too stay together for his benefit, however I think he sees the writing on the wall that they are going to the Big 12 and is pleading his case.

Not good for us imo.

HFrog1999

Please don't assume that BCS AQ has anything to do with merit. They pretend they have formulas and evaluations. However, that's just smoke and mirrors. AQ status is about contracts, TV sets, and providing a funnel of money to certain people.

The Big East is not going to lose AQ status because they lost Pitt and Syracuse :rolleyes:

If anything, adding the service academies helps the Big East politcally.

BelushiBob

I think hes pushing his own agenda. He wants the BE too stay together for his benefit, however I think he sees the writing on the wall that they are going to the Big 12 and is pleading his case.

Because you can climb into peoples' minds and determine their intent? enjoy your espn

angelo's frog

The BE basketball conference tournament is the most profitable basketball conference tournament outside the NCAA tourney. Brings money to the table. Money to the table equals people staying and keeping AQ. Hell its keeping UofL in the BE and out of the B12 (so what the hell are you talking about?)
Gary Patterson came out in support of the BE today...... Why dont you take a Shot at HCGP???

Not taking a shot at anyone Mr. Sensitive. I'm just expressing my opinion that the current BE plus the service academies and Nova in football are not likely to be good enough to qualify for a BCS berth for long. That's not going to sell a lot of tickets in the new ACS either. I can already hear the collective yawn from the city of Fort Worth when that lineup shows up in town.

As for the $$$, the $$$ made by the big football conferences dwarf the BE basketball $$$. So, the BE can be content to sit on its basketball $$$ and collect 1/3 as much football money (or less) than the other schools but I would prefer that TCU not do that.

As for HCGP, I think he is just parroting the company line right now. We don't want to seem to eager because it hurts our negotiating position and puts our fans in a position where they could wind up being disappointed.

BTW, the arguments Pitino makes for Louisville staying in the BE are arguments that favor TCU going to the Big 12. Regional rivalries, interest of the student athlete in non-football sports etc.

HFrog1999

[quote name='angelo's frog' timestamp='1317061940' post='932502']
Not taking a shot at anyone Mr. Sensitive. I'm just expressing my opinion that the current BE plus the service academies and Nova in football are not likely to be good enough to qualify for a BCS berth for long. That's not going to sell a lot of tickets in the new ACS either. I can already hear the collective yawn from the city of Fort Worth when that lineup shows up in town.

[/quote]

The service academy games tend to be some of our best selling games.

angelo's frog

One sell out versus AFA last year and that was tickets sold - lots of empty seats for that one. Anyway, I'm assuming that most people would prefer to have 50,000 people in the stands for TCU v. Tech, OU or OSU than have 37k for Army.

BABYFACE

Yes, they draw well and I like TCU playing them, but if I was forced to choose between the academies and the big 12, I choose OU, OSU, Tech, Mizzou,Baylor,UT, Kansas, KST, ISU. Those games will draw better crowds than the service academy games.