• The KillerFrogs

Back to the future

froginaustin

http://collegesportsinfo.com/2011/02/03/ebersol-versus-to-be-re-branded-to-include-nbc-sports-brand/

This week we saw NBC Sports President, Dick Ebersol make an official comment on the worst kept secret: that Versus would eventually be rebranded in some capacity as NBC Sports.
Versus will be the primary NBC Sports network, that much seems to be known.

. . ..

But the key, is that with these upcoming moves, the door will be opened for NBC Sports to get more aggressive in obtaining more college sports broadcast rights for it’s regional networks, the primary NBC Sports Network (currently called Versus), and perhaps even NBC itself.

. . ..

Comcast already has the Mountain West in it’s fold via the Mtn, in theory, so they have those west coast markets.

The SEC, Big Ten, ACC and soon to be Pac-10 (sic) are locked up or about to be locked up elsewhere via ESPN/ABC, CBS and FoxSports.

But all of a sudden, maybe the new TCU included Big East conference could make a push to be the east coast conference tied into the new NBC Sports, since the Big East is already a big part of SNY in NY.

. . ..

PurplePainD

Yep, I'll be month to month with DirecTV until this whole thing shakes out and I figure out the best way to follow the frogs!

Limey Frog

If those clowns had ponied up and moved some MWC games onto NBC already the league wouldn't have broken apart. I don't want to be in bed with these morons any more.

froginaustin

If those clowns had ponied up and moved some MWC games onto NBC already the league wouldn't have broken apart. I don't want to be in bed with these morons any more.
Was the BE hogging the NBC Saturday slots?

Honest question. If so, then good for us and not so good for the MWC.

dkfrog

You guys forget so quickly the days when you would not be able to get tcu games on tv unless you had a sports package or went to a bar with a sports package. Dont take for granted the fact that we have been able to see virtually all tcu games on tv over the past 2 years. This was a result of the mtn network and versus. If you are so in love with espn, then get ready to either watch the frogs on espn3.com or tuesday, wednesday, thursday, friday night.

I love the idea of being on an nbc network, especially if they give saturday time on actual nbc (and not nbc sports). It could act just like abc and espn/espn2.

fanatical frog

I see this as an opportunity for the Big East to run up the price of a new contract with more bidding involved.If ESPN gets the BE, they will pay a nice amount .The BE has to be the big winner here.

Anybody but ESPN. Let ESPN run up the bidding as much as they will but if I'm negotiating for the BEast I'd leave money on the table to sign with anybody but ESPN.....we'll be money ahead in the long run. ESPN wants us just to so they can essentially monopolize the market...at which point they bury us and continue to pimp for the SEC and B10.

Limey Frog

What if NBC gives the Big East the Notre Dame treatment? National broadcast network everyone can find on T.V. would you be against that?

That would be outstanding. I'm bitter over what happened to the MWC because I really liked the league and was excited about ten teams that included us, BYU, Boise, & Utah. Many seemed to feel that if Comcast had have gone for Craig Thompson's weekly MWC game-of-the-week CBS slot then BYU at least wouldn't have left & we would still be a solid 9-team conference. Comcast did nothing to keep a league with which they have a relationship from nearly disintegrating. ESPN would never have let that happen. To me, that showed lack of vision and commitment to us as a group.

That said, maybe they'll be smarter the second time around. A weekly Big East Saturday slot on NBC would be awesome, with a double-header on ND home dates. That would be in NBC's best interest because anything that helps the BE stay together keeps ND away from the Big Ten. But are these guys smart enough to figure out what's in their best interest? I don't have much faith in a sports broadcasting entity whose entire itinerary consists of the Olympics, ND football, and the last two rounds of Wimbledon/the U.S. open.

BABYFACE

ESPN 3.com does not count as tv coverage IMO. That sucks much worse than the MTN which TCU rarely played on. Most TCU games were on CBS College Sports or Versus. I had no problem with that and thought they did a great job. Also, liked CFB shows that CBSCS has now.

TCU may have more people see their games on ESPN, 2 or the U, but if it is on 3 that is an Internet feed which doesn't count as being on TV IMO.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being

Why would CBS College Sports - the MWC rights holder - EVER agree to that?

People keep forgetting that neither Comcast or Versus own any MWC rights. They own The Mtn (or rather, half of it), but they still need to deal with CBS College Sports for content.

As for the Big East, they are in a pretty good position TV wise. With ESPN attempting to hold onto their dominance, and both Fox and Comcast/NBC looking to establish a stronger foothold, the Big East could end up with a better TV deal than anybody expected. No matter who it's with.

Gunner

Just want to know, if we will get good coverage every week, like before. Saw every game away last couple years.

Have wondered if we might get the northeastern shaft in some of this. They sure didn't mind doing it at ESPN, using the excuse we didn't have a contract with them..

They do have a problem at ESPN, assuming they win out on the BE bidding. TCU has a brand now and I figure the tv money will demand TCU be shown somewhere. I loved The Mountain and have worried about the coverage now that is gone.. We got huge coverage there. ESPN has shown, ethics are not part of their game...

Time will tell...

jack the frog

ESPN wants us just to so they can essentially monopolize the market...at which point they bury us and continue to pimp for the SEC and B10.

Sure would be nice to be a featured conference product for the network that ends up with the BE deal.

. Many seemed to feel that if Comcast had have gone for Craig Thompson's weekly MWC game-of-the-week CBS slot then BYU at least wouldn't have left & we would still be a solid 9-team conference.

I still think that Utah killed the thing by leaving. BYU could not deal with the thought of MWC membership while Utah luxuriated in the PAC. Who knows though, maybe some extra money and a few higher profile games on a decent network might have changed their thinking.

TexanMark

My prediction:

The Big East creates a bidding war...we go with ESPN for every thing

One other possibility is to keep Basketball on ESPN, Most of FB still on ESPN but also have a BE game of the week when Notre Dame is on the road on NBC.

ESPN absolutely loves the Big East for basketball as they get star treatment and they offer lots of inventory...they won't want to lose that.

Klaw

For the next TV contract, I really hopes that the Big East starts their own network akin to Big 10 Network and the MTN.

I think it is a great marketing tool and exposure for the whole conference. You can sell parents that they are able to see every game at least on the conference network.

After that, I would like to see a national game of the week on CBS or NBC.