• The KillerFrogs

Nick Saban Retires

Not to mention, research on the condition of Seasonal Affective Disorder was done in that market. I don't think the acronym was a coincidence. When there is precipitation over 300 days per year, your outdoor options are impacted. Another true fact, the original "Skid Row" was a street in Seattle.
Seattle has 155 days per year with precipitation, not 300.

For me, the bottom line is the beauty of both the natural landscape and cityscape and Seattle kicks butt over Tuscaloosa, Houston or Dallas in that. Seattle and its surrounding area may be #1 in the country for beauty, so I can’t understand how one would choose Tuscaloosa, Dallas or Houston over Seattle if one is at all into aesthetics and the landscapes; Houston and Dallas being abysmal as far as natural or cityscape beauty in comparison. I love the eye candy of aestheically pleasing places and Seattle still has that on cloudy days. I love participating in outdoor activity that provides scenery.

And that is why Seattle is expensive to live in, it is a draw, but if you are the head coach, affordability is not an issue.

Last edited:

Sangria Wine

Total compensation and access to recruits is all that really matters. These guys spend most of their time in an indoor practice facility or inside a building being the front man for the program at fund raising events, recruiting trips or other such events. When not working or studying film/in meetings you could travel wherever suits your style with the money you’d be making. Now that said…living someplace where the alumni/fanbase doesn’t fit you would be a mistake because it’ll just lead to bad connectivity to the university and fans which will ultimately lead to failure because eventually the true attitudes and personalities will come through once the honeymoon period is over.

For me, the bottom line is the beauty of both the natural landscape and cityscape and Seattle kicks butt over Tuscaloosa, Houston or Dallas in that. Seattle and its surrounding area may be #1 in the country for beauty, so I can’t understand how one would choose Tuscaloosa, Dallas or Houston over Seattle if one is at all into aesthetics and the landscapes; Houston and Dallas being abysmal as far as natural or cityscape beauty in comparison. I love the eye candy of aestheically pleasing places and Seattle still has that on cloudy days. I love participating in outdoor activity that provides scenery.

And that is why Seattle is expensive to live in, it is a draw, but if you are the head coach, affordability is not an issue.
Seattle also has no extreme temperatures because of where it is, so with proper clothing you can always be comfortable outdoors.

And it does not have extreme weather events; no floods, tornadoes, snowstorms, droughts…it only waits for an earthquake, ha.

tcudoc

Yeah, living in a great house on the Pacific coast, with phenomenal food, cultural arts, stunning natural scenery, spending your work time on a college campus and your down time fishing, sailing, windsurfing on Puget Sound, all in a very mild climate. . . Nightmares.
I don’t think anybody will argue that Seattle has some great features. Similar to San Francisco, it is a once great city now ruined by liberal policies. That plus the rain make it a no for me. I would not mind visiting again if they clean it up a bit.

I don’t think anybody will argue that Seattle has some great features. Similar to San Francisco, it is a once great city now ruined by liberal policies. That plus the rain make it a no for me. I would not mind visiting again if they clean it up a bit.
What liberal policies would really affect your day to day living in Seattle?

And I would bet that driving around Seattle, one would conclude that it is literally a cleaner city than Texas cities.

By the way, Washington also does not have a state income tax and I think Seattle’s property tax rates are significantly lower than Houston’s.

Last edited:

tcudoc

What liberal policies would really affect your day to day living In Seattle.

By the way, Washington also has no state income tax.
Probably the ones that lead to rampant crime, drug use, and homelessness as well as the constant protesting of everything. The lack of enforcement of laws, the defunding of the police, the legalization of drug use. All of those chickens have come home to roost. I’m sure there are some suburbs that are fine, though. I’m not dismissing that you can find the beauty in the city. I see it too. It’s just that the cons outweigh the pros for me, and apparently many others. Just not a good fit for me. I don’t intend to insult you if you prefer it, though. It just seems like so many other bigger cities that are being ruined. It’s all probably inevitable as cities grow and become destinations. Austin (and from what I hear, Nashville) is the latest victim, in my opinion.
I visited Knoxville a year or so ago. I was only there a couple of days, but I was really impressed. My takeaway from the visit was, I think I would enjoy living there. Huntsville, Alabama is another one. There are just some great cities out there with a lot to offer.
Tuscaloosa is likely not high on the list either, but I think I could blend better with people there than I could in Seattle.

Last edited:

4 Oaks Frog

Both are great cities to visit, but I wouldn’t want to live in either. I am happy right here in north Texas. I don’t care for the politics of Washington or Alabama and the type of people they attract.
DFW Airport can get me to either place pretty quickly if I choose to visit.
All I can say to both locations is Bless Your Hearts…

Seattle also has no extreme temperatures because of where it is, so with proper clothing you can always be comfortable outdoors.

And it does not have extreme weather events; no floods, tornadoes, snowstorms, droughts…it only waits for an earthquake, ha.
I’ve been there several times. The UW stadium is top 2-3 in the country. All in all, they have a good, but not great, fanbase. Setting aside the comparison of the two cities, I can see how the location in Seattle makes it very unattractive to a lot of coaches. It’s so remote from the rest of the country and a long way from any fertile recruiting grounds.

Endless Purple

For me, it would be more about the people I would be forced to lived near. If I wanted to visit Mt Rainier, I could take a trip there. Plus, the weather would be too depressing. The weather is even mentioned in the name of the mountain. Plus, the people seem awful. No offense intended to the 5-10% of people who are likely completely normal and sane.
Fair answer.

I have met many nice people from the Pacific NW (including Seattle), so different experiences.

Had a friend a used to work with get assigned to Denver for a few years and he was out all the time at parks taking great photos. I would love that chance at a place like NW Washington. Every weekend out and about, and not need a plane to get to great scenery. Just live outside the city limits. Don't see Tuscaloosa near as scenic as Washington.

Also, It is not like they get the amount of rain as in Houston (my location), just light rain more days.

4 Oaks Frog

Do you live in Seattle, and if not, why not?..

Chongo94

Probably the ones that lead to rampant crime, drug use, and homelessness as well as the constant protesting of everything. The lack of enforcement of laws, the defunding of the police, the legalization of drug use. All of those chickens have come home to roost. I’m sure there are some suburbs that are fine, though. I’m not dismissing that you can find the beauty in the city. I see it too. It’s just that the cons outweigh the pros for me, and apparently many others. Just not a good fit for me. I don’t intend to insult you if you prefer it, though. It just seems like so many other bigger cities that are being ruined. It’s all probably inevitable as cities grow and become destinations. Austin (and from what I hear, Nashville) is the latest victim, in my opinion.
I visited Knoxville a year or so ago. I was only there a couple of days, but I was really impressed. My takeaway from the visit was, I think I would enjoy living there. Huntsville, Alabama is another one. There are just some great cities out there with a lot to offer.
Tuscaloosa is likely not high on the list either, but I think I could blend better with people there than I could in Seattle.
Knoxville is great! I loved that place. The areas that I saw and visited at least that is.

Hemingway

My outdoor options are taking care of my cows and growing/baling hay. I'd much rather do that when it is warm and dry than cold and wet. You can only make hay when the sun shines.
Respectfully, I don’t think the ranching option is available to everyone in DFW.