• The KillerFrogs

ACC about to blow up?

Chongo94

If true, the ACC is in dire straits.
In FSUs lawsuit, the FSU atty. has revealed that ESPN is only obligated through 2026 to the ACC in terms of revenue payments. ESPN has a UNILATERAL right to exercise an option in Spring 2025 to be effective in 2027 and carry through to 2036 —yet the members of the ACC are locked in until 2036.
That’s just not gonna work.

To pay off the GOR only thru 2026 is far cheaper for FSU.

View attachment 15439
And what is that GOR buyout again ‘82?

Traveling Frog

I really dont know enough about the ACC to comment.
But that new supposed revalation seems obvious to me. If true, I can’t believe they only discovered it now after years of looking for a loophole.
Everyone else likely saw it, it’s just that these lawyers are highlighting everything to see how they can make something stick to break the ACC contract they agreed to.

Contracts are made by paid lawyers to get other lawyers paid to break them.

WhatTheFrog

I really dont know enough about the ACC to comment.
But that new supposed revalation seems obvious to me. If true, I can’t believe they only discovered it now after years of looking for a loophole.
They've probably been holding that in their back pocket for a moment like this. Going undefeated in the ACC isn't good enough to get them in the playoffs, so it's time to get out with good reason.

NewFrogFan

They've probably been holding that in their back pocket for a moment like this. Going undefeated in the ACC isn't good enough to get them in the playoffs, so it's time to get out with good reason.
Going undefeated in the 5th rated conf, not being one of the 4 best teams, actually Georgia is a far better team, and losing starting QB. Perhaps there was a video of that undefeated, ACC champion getting smoked by Oregon in 2014?
Where they gonna go????

Though I’m enjoying the schadenfreude of the ACC imploding, I don’t quite get FSU’s temper tantrum here. The playoff goes to 12 teams next year, so this won’t happen again.

jack the frog

Florida State may or may not break with the ACC but several articles have contained the 'or else' language highlighted below. Maybe they get lucky and get an exit pass but it could be a money play.

"Our goal would be to continue to stay in the ACC, but staying in the ACC under the current situation is hard for us to figure out how we remain competitive unless there were a major change in the revenue distribution within the conference," McCullough said, per ESPN.

An-Cap Frog

How would they blow $200 million?
drugs cocaine GIF by Desus & Mero

Endless Purple

"Our goal would be to continue to stay in the ACC, but staying in the ACC under the current situation is hard for us to figure out how we remain competitive unless there were a major change in the revenue distribution within the conference," McCullough said, per ESPN.

Nothing says strength of conference like the phrase "major change in the revenue distribution".

helcap

Florida State may or may not break with the ACC but several articles have contained the 'or else' language highlighted below. Maybe they get lucky and get an exit pass but it could be a money play.

ACC has already adopted an unequal revenue sharing model which provides "bonus" payments above a base level for on field success. Such as winning the conference, making the CFP, which bowl game you appear in (based on payout). Sounds like FSU wants a greater share guaranteed, or perhaps bigger bonus.