• The KillerFrogs

Baylor's football future

bp4tcu

Easy there, as a long time Tech follower (prior to their horrendous fan and new alumni behavior) it doesn’t mean anything if they can’t be coached. Thus far, the majority of evidence leans towards McGuire being a pretty average coach, at best.
My wife went to Tech, has a ton of family that also went there. I follow them closer than I’d like to honestly.

Both of his teams have gotten better as the year goes on. That’s the sign of a good team.

The culture is there and continues to build. Put a few other pieces there and I think they’ll have a monster in the new big 12.

Their new endzone and practice facility will be one of, if not the top in the country. They’ve finally gotten their act together and there’s a lot of [ Finebaum ] coming together in LBK. Scary.

Chongo94

My wife went to Tech, has a ton of family that also went there. I follow them closer than I’d like to honestly.

Both of his teams have gotten better as the year goes on. That’s the sign of a good team.

The culture is there and continues to build. Put a few other pieces there and I think they’ll have a monster in the new big 12.

Their new endzone and practice facility will be one of, if not the top in the country. They’ve finally gotten their act together and there’s a lot of [ Finebaum ] coming together in LBK. Scary.
Uh huh….listen, I had to live in that scheiss hole for FAR longer than I ever wanted to. It was like a black hole that sucked you in and would pull against your escape.

Also, I don’t agree with his teams have gotten better. Go back and watch last season and they were one of the luckiest teams in CFB in the wins they had aside from maybe our luck. This year they have also struggled to improve. If anything, their improvement came from just finally realizing their passing offense isn’t that good and they went back to leaning heavily on the running back.

They said exactly what you say above, 15 years ago. They say the same things every 10-15 years.

The dude has energy and that’s what people are gravitating to and living off of out there now, no doubt. But he strikes me as a used car salesman and I think the shine will come off in the next few years. That said, you could be right this time but I won’t fully believe it until I see it.

bp4tcu

Uh huh….listen, I had to live in that scheiss hole for FAR longer than I ever wanted to. It was like a black hole that sucked you in and would pull against your escape.

Also, I don’t agree with his teams have gotten better. Go back and watch last season and they were one of the luckiest teams in CFB in the wins they had aside from maybe our luck. This year they have also struggled to improve. If anything, their improvement came from just finally realizing their passing offense isn’t that good and they went back to leaning heavily on the running back.

They said exactly what you say above, 15 years ago. They say the same things every 10-15 years.

The dude has energy and that’s what people are gravitating to and living off of out there now, no doubt. But he strikes me as a used car salesman and I think the shine will come off in the next few years. That said, you could be right this time but I won’t fully believe it until I see it.
That’s all fair. But that used car salesman just pulled in a five star and one of the best players in the country, a second straight top 25 class in as many years, and won his second straight bowl game in as many years while we sat at home on the couch.

I’m not saying any of this to praise them, I’m saying this concerned about them. Their arrow is pointing up, that’s all.

Oh, and he beat us this year. But don’t worry about that.

Chongo94

That’s all fair. But that used car salesman just pulled in a five star and one of the best players in the country, a second straight top 25 class in as many years, and won his second straight bowl game in as many years while we sat at home on the couch.

I’m not saying any of this to praise them, I’m saying this concerned about them. Their arrow is pointing up, that’s all.

Uh huh….their improving team struggled to beat our team that, this year at least, couldn’t coach its way out of a paper bag. The arrow is pointing up so much that they actually had one less win this season. And yeah, they won a bowl game against Cal…I’m not sure that proves anything. I feel like TCU, with all its bs this season could still beat Cal.

Spare me the 5 star stuff….I couldn’t care less about star ratings. The only time they supposedly matter was/is this week. James Battle/Shaun Robinson ring a bell?

Their arrow was pointing up under Leach and Tech still only managed a 10 win season once. They were pointing back up under Coach DudeBro and couldn’t even get a winning season with Mahomes. I get it, you like UT and Tech, that’s fine. But this fear of Tech is very, very VERY premature.

Dogfrog

Why is your avatar Sonny Dykes in clown face?

82 Frog Fever

Uh huh….their improving team struggled to beat our team that, this year at least, couldn’t coach its way out of a paper bag. The arrow is pointing up so much that they actually had one less win this season. And yeah, they won a bowl game against Cal…I’m not sure that proves anything. I feel like TCU, with all its bs this season could still beat Cal.

Spare me the 5 star stuff….I couldn’t care less about star ratings. The only time they supposedly matter was/is this week. James Battle/Shaun Robinson ring a bell?

Their arrow was pointing up under Leach and Tech still only managed a 10 win season once. They were pointing back up under Coach DudeBro and couldn’t even get a winning season with Mahomes. I get it, you like UT and Tech, that’s fine. But this fear of Tech is very, very VERY premature.
Do you believe a lot of their futility is due to a bad location, so no matter what, they’ll never be any good? Illinois is kinda like that.

bp4tcu

Nothing like getting ignored by most in a single post.
seinfeld GIF by HULU

y2kFrog

As long as they roll with Morton at QB they will be 6-6 again.

Chongo94

Do you believe a lot of their futility is due to a bad location, so no matter what, they’ll never be any good? Illinois is kinda like that.
My Tech friends and I have had that discussion often and the realists out there do admit to that being a huge issue. Many used to point to Nebraska as an example of being able to recruit to nowhere…of course, Nebraska also had 40-50 years of historical winning and titles they could use to help with that and look at them now…

The other thing with Tech, throughout their different coaching reigns, they really don’t try to go for the athletes and 2-3 stars like GP did to build TCU back. They always try to go for the big names that everyone else wants. And they get some, no doubt, but they miss on a lot of others when they probably could get someone that may actually contribute well but is only a 2 star or something.

But yeah, the location is a huge detriment. It’s an 8 to 9 hour drive from there to Houston. UTSA becoming a winning destination as well probably doesn’t help either.

That’s why even though I wouldn’t mind if they did better in many regards, I just don’t think they will. It’s almost buried in their DNA now. I mean new facilities, great….cool, energetic coach, great…good recruiting classes, great……these were exactly the same things happening when DudeBro was there a decade ago. So that’s why I’m always a I’ll believe it when I see it guy with Tech.

westoverhillbilly

Like alot of you, I have Tech in my pedigree (Dad and 2 sisters went there and my wife born/raised nearby) and follow them closer than I'd like to. Since their first year in the SWC in 1960, Tech has one 5-way shared conference championship in 1994- in which they shared the crown with TCU, Rice, Texas and Baylor. What's even worse is that ATM actually won it by far that year but couldn't have the crown due to being on probation. They limped to the Cotton Bowl that year- why? Because TCU, Rice, Texas and Baylor had been to the Cotton Bowl before and Tech hadn't!

This lack of success makes their program a long lived joke. Sorry if this offends anybody.

OICU812

Like alot of you, I have Tech in my pedigree (Dad and 2 sisters went there and my wife born/raised nearby) and follow them closer than I'd like to. Since their first year in the SWC in 1960, Tech has one 5-way shared conference championship in 1994- in which they shared the crown with TCU, Rice, Texas and Baylor. What's even worse is that ATM actually won it by far that year but couldn't have the crown due to being on probation. They limped to the Cotton Bowl that year- why? Because TCU, Rice, Texas and Baylor had been to the Cotton Bowl before and Tech hadn't!

This lack of success makes their program a long lived joke. Sorry if this offends anybody.
Imho their greatest contributions to swc and b12 were the years they dropped a deuce in either aggy’s or uterus’s punch bowl. Iirc seems like they especially had aggy’s number the last 10 years or so they played them.

Brog

My Tech friends and I have had that discussion often and the realists out there do admit to that being a huge issue. Many used to point to Nebraska as an example of being able to recruit to nowhere…of course, Nebraska also had 40-50 years of historical winning and titles they could use to help with that and look at them now…

The other thing with Tech, throughout their different coaching reigns, they really don’t try to go for the athletes and 2-3 stars like GP did to build TCU back. They always try to go for the big names that everyone else wants. And they get some, no doubt, but they miss on a lot of others when they probably could get someone that may actually contribute well but is only a 2 star or something.

But yeah, the location is a huge detriment. It’s an 8 to 9 hour drive from there to Houston. UTSA becoming a winning destination as well probably doesn’t help either.

That’s why even though I wouldn’t mind if they did better in many regards, I just don’t think they will. It’s almost buried in their DNA now. I mean new facilities, great….cool, energetic coach, great…good recruiting classes, great……these were exactly the same things happening when DudeBro was there a decade ago. So that’s why I’m always a I’ll believe it when I see it guy with Tech.
For a better location,I suggest that they move to Muleshoe.