• The KillerFrogs

2023-2023 CFB Transfer Portal

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
As someone who has been a HUGE fan of college football and a season ticket holder at a school I didn't attend (Minnesota) for 15 years, I have a really sick feeling about the game and I'm not sure which part is the worst.

1) NIL rewards certain schools to the detriment of others. It runs the risk of creating numerous issues (unequal payment to stars, the perception that it's a pro league, etc.).

2) I used to think the unfettered transfer rule was worst because it takes out the "diamond in the rough" factor where a smaller school could land a hidden talent and ride him to huge heights (now he'lljust transfer). This also could mean an increase in kids being told to hit the portal, bad behavior by kids who are disgruntled (I'm hitting the portal), kids who don't finish their degrees because of transfers, etc.

3) now I feel like the conference realignment is the worst. To have success you need to be in one of two conferences, and very few schools even IN those conferences have a chance. Iowa has had a pretty good run and the division set up gave them a chance to make an NY6 game. Now divisions are gone and Oregon, Washington, UCLA and USC are in. How much needs to happen for them to make a big bowl?

They are ruining the sport. How much will fans of certain schools shell out knowing there's basically no chance for that school to make the playoff or a big bowl? And for how long?

I need a drink.
I just took delivery of a Christmas Threesome from the Whiskey Tribe. "Experimental" Booze.

Pull up a chair, light a stogie, and we'll drink.

Edit: A toast! To the glory that was College Football!

Bowl season needs to go away.
No, it doesn’t. Aside from extra practice time, it’s a nice trip for a lot of kids who don’t get to go on vacations very often. The players are treated like kings and receive great gifts and get to do a lot of fun things they normally wouldn’t get to do. For some, just the experience of playing in a bowl will last a lifetime.

Wexahu

No, it doesn’t. Aside from extra practice time, it’s a nice trip for a lot of kids who don’t get to go on vacations very often. The players are treated like kings and receive great gifts and get to do a lot of fun things they normally wouldn’t get to do. For some, just the experience of playing in a bowl will last a lifetime.
I think what you’re saying was a lot more true 20+ years ago. It’s a different game now. Players are getting paid and about 20% of them are busy trying to figure out where they are transferring to. The games are awful and hardly anyone cares anymore.

Chongo94

I think what you’re saying was a lot more true 20+ years ago. It’s a different game now. Players are getting paid and about 20% of them are busy trying to figure out where they are transferring to. The games are awful and hardly anyone cares anymore.
Sooooo you want to do away with a system that the other 80% still seem to enjoy and want to play in?….hmmm.

CryptoMiner

Back to the actual thread topic, I have absolutely ZERO faith in this staff to bring in any quality transfers.

Whatever supposed “magic” or “transfer guru”-ness Sonny had, he damn sure didn’t bring it with him to TCU it seems.
Keep a watch on Braylon James, former ND and Round Rock WR.

Wexahu

Sooooo you want to do away with a system that the other 80% still seem to enjoy and want to play in?….hmmm.
I could be wrong, but I highly doubt a good percentage of the other 80% really look forward to an extra couple weeks of practice at the end of the season so they can go play in some meaningless game in a half-empty (if that) stadium. And it's not like the destinations are vacation spots. Houston, San Antonio, Memphis, Mobile, Shreveport, Detroit, Albuquerque, El Paso, et etc etc.

82 Frog Fever

Back to the actual thread topic, I have absolutely ZERO faith in this staff to bring in any quality transfers.

Whatever supposed “magic” or “transfer guru”-ness Sonny had, he damn sure didn’t bring it with him to TCU it seems.
Maybe hold the verdict until we see how the next few weeks go.

In the ‘22 portal Sonny brought in 6-8 of the starters on the ‘22 team. Considering the close win margins, the ‘22 team probably doesn’t get 8 wins without those players.

In the ‘23 portal they plain sucked. Taking 3 Alabama players with almost no current research. We got maybe 2 starters and 2 contributors.
However, remember the ‘23 portal took place during both CFP rounds and our OC quit. TCU barely had time to participate.

As someone who has been a HUGE fan of college football and a season ticket holder at a school I didn't attend (Minnesota) for 15 years, I have a really sick feeling about the game and I'm not sure which part is the worst.

1) NIL rewards certain schools to the detriment of others. It runs the risk of creating numerous issues (unequal payment to stars, the perception that it's a pro league, etc.).

2) I used to think the unfettered transfer rule was worst because it takes out the "diamond in the rough" factor where a smaller school could land a hidden talent and ride him to huge heights (now he'lljust transfer). This also could mean an increase in kids being told to hit the portal, bad behavior by kids who are disgruntled (I'm hitting the portal), kids who don't finish their degrees because of transfers, etc.

3) now I feel like the conference realignment is the worst. To have success you need to be in one of two conferences, and very few schools even IN those conferences have a chance. Iowa has had a pretty good run and the division set up gave them a chance to make an NY6 game. Now divisions are gone and Oregon, Washington, UCLA and USC are in. How much needs to happen for them to make a big bowl?

They are ruining the sport. How much will fans of certain schools shell out knowing there's basically no chance for that school to make the playoff or a big bowl? And for how long?

I need a drink.
A whole lot of this is just yelling at clouds. In reality, with a twelve team playoff, there will be plenty of opportunity for schools outside of the Big 10 and the SEC to make the playoff because there will be so much head-to-head evidence that certain big names are worse than others (i.e. Oregon loses to Ohio State and Michigan, clearly they cannot compete for a national championship).

Then when you have a team from the Big XII or the ACC win out in conference and they do not have any head-to-head data points they can have a clear argument to get in. Given, seeding is another issue.