• The KillerFrogs

We should’ve hired Coach Prime

One Frog Nation

I think Deion would have done a fine job here. I also think that many of you would be turning on him with the slightest hint of adversity here.
No question on both of those observations. Deion would have attracted a lot of high value recruits and he has done a good job of hiring coaches. Only a few games into his p5 career but I think he is going to be just fine. My biggest question with hiring him, would be for how long? I don't see him staying at CU long term, nor would he have at TCU. Bright lights are always calling.

CountryFrog

Ok, straight up, no tap-dancing: who can and will sign (and retain)more and better 4 and 5- star talent- Sonny or Deion? Who is better prepared to understand and take better advantage of NIL and portal? Who can speak to great HS and college players more credibly about the path to the NFL?
I’d include asking who is better at game-planning and management, but I think we all saw the answer to that when CU came to town.
All hypotheticals so I might as well throw out another hypothetical. If Deion really is someone who's going to do all those things at this incredibly high level and then win a lot of games on top of that then what are the chances he actually stays at Colorado (or TCU if we'd hired him) for more than 3-4 years?

I believe we got the best fit for our coaching vacancy with Dykes. But once again I don't even have to talk in hypotheticals. Once Deion has any of the on the field accomplishments that Dykes got in just year one then we can have a conversation. To date, he's already lost as many games in his first year at Colorado as Dykes lost in his first year at TCU so we'll have to wait AT LEAST one more year before we can have any kind of conversation.

Unless of course you value all of those things you listed in your post more than winning football games. Then you might be better suited rooting for Texas A&M instead of TCU where winning games is secondary to recruiting and flash.

Sangria Wine

I‘d bet that Prime will have another elite QB or two stacked right behind his son when the time comes based on his ability to bring in talent immediately with nothing but himself to sell. They had their best offensive player and defensive player out yesterday and their second best defense player out as well and look how they played and competed with the returning Heisman winner and his truly elite team. Their sideline is loaded with star power from pro sports and entertainment. They understand the power of social media. They understand the portal. They understand NIL. They are poised to become a top 10 national program at FREAKING COLORADO…

Prime didn’t walk into a situation where the school had a stack of talent and tradition that had gone off the tracks and needed righting. He walked into a situation that looked like TCU did when Fran got the job. I’ve been captivated and have watched every one of their games to date intently along with a massive number of other people across the country. There is something pretty special happening in Boulder thanks to their admin taking a leap of faith and making a different kind of hire than the status quo.

OICU812

All hypotheticals so I might as well throw out another hypothetical. If Deion really is someone who's going to do all those things at this incredibly high level and then win a lot of games on top of that then what are the chances he actually stays at Colorado (or TCU if we'd hired him) for more than 3-4 years?

I believe we got the best fit for our coaching vacancy with Dykes. But once again I don't even have to talk in hypotheticals. Once Deion has any of the on the field accomplishments that Dykes got in just year one then we can have a conversation. To date, he's already lost as many games in his first year at Colorado as Dykes lost in his first year at TCU so we'll have to wait AT LEAST one more year before we can have any kind of conversation.

Unless of course you value all of those things you listed in your post more than winning football games. Then you might be better suited rooting for Texas A&M instead of TCU where winning games is secondary to recruiting and flash.
If you don’t value all those things then you don’t value sustained success in this era. And those were not, “hypotheticals,” they were very straightforward questions you avoided.

Frogs1983

No doubt Prime would have brought in immediate success to TCU, just like at Colorado. But pretty hard to top what Dykes accomplished in his first season as well

Difference is I think Sanders would have more high profile
recruits in at TCU after season 1 than Dykes got in for season 2.

Problem is, as many have said as well, how long would he be here?

4 Oaks Frog

No question on both of those observations. Deion would have attracted a lot of high value recruits and he has done a good job of hiring coaches. Only a few games into his p5 career but I think he is going to be just fine. My biggest question with hiring him, would be for how long? I don't see him staying at CU long term, nor would he have at TCU. Bright lights are always calling.
I say Deion leaves college coaching as soon as his son leaves for the NFL…

Sangria Wine

No doubt Prime would have brought in immediate success to TCU, just like at Colorado. But pretty hard to top what Dykes accomplished in his first season as well

Difference is I think Sanders would have more high profile
recruits in at TCU after season 1 than Dykes got in for season 2.

Problem is, as many have said as well, how long would he be here?
Hard to imagine last season being better no matter who the coaching staff was. It boggles my kind how many times through the last 20+ years that a longtime coach who had lost some luster is replaced by a new coach that’s a “breath of fresh air” who immediately wins big and is rewarded with a long term contract. Then flash forward 2-3 years and said coach is fired with a long term contract to honor and a cycle begins. It happens more often that way than the storybook version. Something to think about…

Virginia Frog

Guys, Deion Sanders has won 3 games so far. And to this point, his son has been far more valuable than he has. The biggest part of hiring Deion was getting what looks to be one of the best QB's in college football along with him.
Game and Set! I'd love to have his QB son #1.

DS is a big mouth, quite vain, and a "questionable" individual in my book. He's also gonna be a heartbreaker to CU WHEN he gets the BIG BUCKS in the SEC in Year 2 or 3 in Boulder.

I don't know the answer to Sonny. I'm willing to give this misery a little more time. 9-3 is POSSIBLE - a little magic please, yes VF is NUTS!:D

CountryFrog

I don’t think so. Give Coach Prime 2 years with TCU resources and DFW recruiting market + the transfer portal and yes, we beat Colorado and West Virginia.
Well we obviously would've beaten Colorado because we would've had their two best players who did virtually everything for them on our team instead of theirs.

CountryFrog

If you don’t value all those things then you don’t value sustained success in this era. And those were not, “hypotheticals,” they were very straightforward questions you avoided.
And you're apparently avoiding the value of actually winning games.

Frogco2015

And you're apparently avoiding the value of actually winning games.
Good point but I’d argue this year TCU and Colorado are about equal in terms of actual results and Prime is in Year 1 and Dykes is in Year 2. A lot of people seem to want to talk about last year as a “success” but I don’t think losing the biggest blowout in bowl history is a “success” and it certainly negated everything accomplished up to that point. Overall, yes, we can wait and see the actual results but Prime is bringing in a ton of hype, money and recruits that isn’t happening here.

tyler durden

Tyler Durden
Good point but I’d argue this year TCU and Colorado are about equal in terms of actual results and Prime is in Year 1 and Dykes is in Year 2. A lot of people seem to want to talk about last year as a “success” but I don’t think losing the biggest blowout in bowl history is a “success” and it certainly negated everything accomplished up to that point. Overall, yes, we can wait and see the actual results but Prime is bringing in a ton of hype, money and recruits that isn’t happening here.
Actually the championship game isn’t a bowl. We won our bowl game, the Fiesta Bowl, beating #2 ranked Michigan.