• The KillerFrogs

Dr. Koehler will always be one of my TCU sports heroes

Big Frog II

As a Tucker "fan" I want to say the the TCU "Athletics Death March" began with Dr Jim Moudy way back in the '60s. Being fair to Frank, a loyal TCU soldier, he did what he could do, IMO. I just wish that he'd had some "juice" in his tank to lay out an athletics "vision" for the Frogs and to fire-up his bosses to budget accordingly!

Moudy was a chill, get-along, nice man but he was the Chancellor who seemed NOT to like athletics. Dr T did like sports but I think he just accepted TCU's sub-par athletic performances as "that's the way it is" and didn't feel compelled to right the ship.
You are correct about Moudy. He really did not care about athletics. It showed. Most of all of the 70's were a disaster.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
71 was pretty good.
I have told this story before, but the 1971 game at Baylor our family was there. It was rainy. Not sure why but I happened to look across at the TCU sideline and saw Coach Pittman go down. I thought he had tripped over headset cords. But he didn't get up and he was surrounded quickly. Watched as the ambulance rushed him to the hospital.

The team learned at halftime he died. They rallied and beat Baylor and both teams met at midfield to pray and share condolences.

We did finish the second half of the season well. In these days as bad as we were we beat A&M regularly. Baylor and Rice were as bad or worse than we were.

Of course Pittman was controversial with the players who left. After he died we almost lost Tohill to a horrific car wreck. The black cloud had settled over the program.

Last edited:

Limp Lizard

The core of the Chemistry Department in the 60's and 70's were Koehler, Reinecke and Watson. Three excellent chemists and teachers.

Watson (who was my mentor in grad school) died just over a year ago. He spent his last years in Santa Fe running an art gallery. Really, really nice guy and a leader in the field of x-ray diffraction.

When Reinecke walked the hallways in the chem dept, his face was always buried in a chemistry journal. Quite a guy.

Dutch

T C U Froooogs
Somebody jogged my memory. It was Watson Brown, at that time head coach of UAB as it made the move from D-IAA to D-1A. In 12 seasons at UAB, his record was 62-74. He left there to become HC of Tennessee Tech for 7 years, where he earned the distinction of being the first coach in NCAA football history to lose 200 games. Retired in 2015.

This is the guy Hyman wanted to hire over Franchione. TCU would have been the most high-profile and lucrative gig of his entire career.
Watson had a stint at Vanderbilt and I think at Rice too. That’s a lot of losses, but he must have had something that appealed to academic institutions.

BleedNPurple

The core of the Chemistry Department in the 60's and 70's were Koehler, Reinecke and Watson. Three excellent chemists and teachers.

Watson (who was my mentor in grad school) died just over a year ago. He spent his last years in Santa Fe running an art gallery. Really, really nice guy and a leader in the field of x-ray diffraction.

When Reinecke walked the hallways in the chem dept, his face was always buried in a chemistry journal. Quite a guy.
Limp - My pop brought Koehler and Reinecke to TCU. W. B. Smith Chariman of Chemistry who built the PHD program. Pop inherited Watson. All close family friends. I still keep in touch with Reinecke.

Limp Lizard

Limp - My pop brought Koehler and Reinecke to TCU. W. B. Smith Chariman of Chemistry who built the PHD program. Pop inherited Watson. All close family friends. I still keep in touch with Reinecke.

For years I thought about contacting Watson and just checking in. Checked around the internet last year and found that he had died that Spring. Most of my favorite profs (Bill Watson, Ron Flowers, Dr. Odom, Gus Ferre?) are dead now. Bummer.

Message to me was check in with them while you still can.

BleedNPurple

For years I thought about contacting Watson and just checking in. Checked around the internet last year and found that he had died that Spring. Most of my favorite profs (Bill Watson, Ron Flowers, Dr. Odom, Gus Ferre?) are dead now. Bummer.

Message to me was check in with them while you still can.
Absolutely - miss Ron Flowers and Odom- I had them as well. Dr. Jim Kelly passed last year. Reinecke and Huckabee are still with us. Don’t know if you knew David Mentor - he’s still in the chemistry department. I spent many a Thanksgiving and other events with these folks growing up.

Limp Lizard

Absolutely - miss Ron Flowers and Odom- I had them as well. Dr. Jim Kelly passed last year. Reinecke and Huckabee are still with us. Don’t know if you knew David Mentor - he’s still in the chemistry department. I spent many a Thanksgiving and other events with these folks growing up.
Mentor was not there when I was there. So... post 1974.

Odom was a very entertaining lecturer and really made the subject matter interesting. Best major exams I have ever taken. And I wasn't an English major.

Limp Lizard

Mentor was one of my Dads post Docs in 74.
So William Smith was your dad? Main thing I remember was that he worked his grad students really hard. Late nights at the NMR. Or course my evenings and nights were often spent in the x-ray diffraction lab.

From comments on the board, many here do not know how hard the science profs worked year-round at TCU.

tcudoc

Dr. Smith-When I transferred in from TCJC, organic chem was one of my classes in my first semester. I got Dr. Smith and I had heard it was a huge weed out class, so I was pretty determined to give it my all. The class was about 75 people to start. After the first exam where the average score was in the 30s or 40s, the class size dwindled. He gave a little bit of a curve which put me at 97% for the exam. I had literally done almost nothing else but study for that exam and I was the outsider (transferred in, lived off campus 30 minutes from campus, was married, was working as a cook 35-40 hours/week) in a cohort of premeds who had been together for the previous 1-2 years. So, I was feeling the pressure to do well.
The "talk" he gave the premed group when the scores were passed out was a harsh wake up call for many. He basically said, if you cannot do this level of work, you need to reconsider being premed because you will never make it. The class size was not very big the next time we met.
Dr. Minter was awesome, but a very tough professor. As brewingfrog mentioned, he would get up and do an entire OChem lecture with no notes. For an hour, drawing complex formulas and organic chemistry reactions on the board with no mistakes. It was impressive. I go by to see him every 7-8 years to say hello. He looks exactly the same and has seemingly not aged at all.
Dr. Reinecke was awesome as well. He made a phone call on my behalf to get me an interview at the school that was my first choice and where I really wanted to go (I had heard from most of the other schools but had been ignored by this one). And I got my only C in his class, so I was hesitant to ask him for help but very appreciative that he was still willing to give it.
That was an impressive group of professors. At the time, if you finished the pre med program, you had a 93% chance of acceptance into medical school. However, the number who finished was not that high of a percentage. That premed advisory council definitely had the ear of the admissions committees for the state's medical schools.

BleedNPurple

Dr. Smith-When I transferred in from TCJC, organic chem was one of my classes in my first semester. I got Dr. Smith and I had heard it was a huge weed out class, so I was pretty determined to give it my all. The class was about 75 people to start. After the first exam where the average score was in the 30s or 40s, the class size dwindled. He gave a little bit of a curve which put me at 97% for the exam. I had literally done almost nothing else but study for that exam and I was the outsider (transferred in, lived off campus 30 minutes from campus, was married, was working as a cook 35-40 hours/week) in a cohort of premeds who had been together for the previous 1-2 years. So, I was feeling the pressure to do well.
The "talk" he gave the premed group when the scores were passed out was a harsh wake up call for many. He basically said, if you cannot do this level of work, you need to reconsider being premed because you will never make it. The class size was not very big the next time we met.
Dr. Minter was awesome, but a very tough professor. As brewingfrog mentioned, he would get up and do an entire OChem lecture with no notes. For an hour, drawing complex formulas and organic chemistry reactions on the board with no mistakes. It was impressive. I go by to see him every 7-8 years to say hello. He looks exactly the same and has seemingly not aged at all.
Dr. Reinecke was awesome as well. He made a phone call on my behalf to get me an interview at the school that was my first choice and where I really wanted to go (I had heard from most of the other schools but had been ignored by this one). And I got my only C in his class, so I was hesitant to ask him for help but very appreciative that he was still willing to give it.
That was an impressive group of professors. At the time, if you finished the pre med program, you had a 93% chance of acceptance into medical school. However, the number who finished was not that high of a percentage. That premed advisory council definitely had the ear of the admissions committees for the state's medical schools.
Yes, William B. Smith is my father (passed in 2012.) Congratulations on acing his class - that's no easy feat. Reinecke was in charge of Med School placement. Pop was the head of the department and built the PHD program. We grew up with the Reinecke family and Kelly's and Watsons - all are still good friends. Dad brought Bill Koehler to TCU from UT. We're hard core sailboat racers and Koehler had a sailboat in Austin so on his visit he brought a lady he had been dating to visit TCU and we raced on that Sunday on our boat. I'm sure Bill would never forget what happened out there. We had a huge storm wtih 60 mph winds come up. Bill slipped off the boat and dad had a floating cushion ready to hand him - well Bill literally walked up the side of the boat and got back on. Fear is a powerful thing!

Dr. Koehler told me after he had moved into the TCU Administration that Dad expected everyone to work weekends (I know pop was in the lab on Saturdays at least until noon and we frequently stopped by the office on Sundays to see what new anwers came out of his 4 top of the line copresser Mac's doing formula number crunching for several days had spit out.)

The students that did well in my fathers classes went on to success. I had a lot of friends who didn't fare well in his classes - he was tough as nails and a perfectionist. The students who went on to graduate school and received their doctarates under my father would come back to TCU and tell me my father was the most brilliant chemist they knew so somebody made the grade out there. I have several friends who have told me they got their inspiration to get their PHD's in chemistry or majors in chemistry from my Dad.

Dad brought everyone but Bill Watson to TCU. Most of the profs stayed at our house on their interview visits. The chemistry department was our family and many still are.