• The KillerFrogs

Is July the worst sports month?

Allstar game. I don’t know if they have that stupid rule about homefield advantage in the WS anymore BUT that might of cost the rangers a WS.
They stopped that and it is now the best regular season record that determines home field for Games 1, 2, 6 and 7 of the World Series.

I think the tradition of playing baseball on real grass should have standing and the World Series should begin and end on grass, like it did last year in Houston; so maybe the Rangers should courteously forfeit that home-field advantage, if it comes to that. For the good of the game.

Last edited:

tcudoc

One of my favorite trivia questions that no one ever gets right:
“What two days of the year are there no sports played in the big four (MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL)?”

CryptoMiner

I don't blame anyone for giving up on cycling, and I haven't watched the Tour in years, but this year's edition is tight nearing the final week, with last year's winner Jonas Vingegaard leading 2-time winner Tadej Pogačar by 10 seconds through 14 stages.

In 2021 Vingegaard was nearly unknown and was only added to his team's roster 2 months ahead of the Tour. He was supposed to be a support rider, but his team leader crashed and withdrew, so he was pressed into a lead role and finished second. Last year he dropped Pogačar twice on climbs en route to winning. Both riders are under 25 y.o., so the rivalry could go on for years.
You never know who won until several years later

You never know who won until several years later
I ride bikes, but I was one of those who didn’t understand why you would watch people ride the long tours. But then Armstrong came along and I would stay home some mornings to watch it live during morning office hours. His greatness had my attention, but it turned out that former American winner, Greg LeMond, was correct all along—Armstrong’s extraordinary feats were not natural, he had to be doping.

As previously stated here, the Tour is live now at 1 am on the USA network. When Armstrong was racing, I thought it was live during our morning office hours, but maybe I was watching the first replay available here on those hooky mornings.

In the end, Armstrong and American Floyd Landis (he also won one and was stripped), and the entire sport really pissed me off. Armstrong was a huge butthead because he spent years defaming others that were telling the truth. I guess we can thank Landis some for coming forward, sheesh.

The only American winner, Greg LeMond, is a great story—he got blasted in the back and side torso with about 60 shotgun pellets during a turkey hunting accident in 1987 and had to recover from that before winning his second and third Tours (‘86, ‘89 and ‘90). I think he feels he could have another one or two if not for the toxic lead shot they could not remove.

“LeMond's injuries were life-threatening, but a police helicopter was already airborne near the scene and transported LeMond on a 15-minute air medical flight to the Medical Center at University of California-Davis. LeMond was taken for emergency surgery. He had suffered a pneumothorax to his right lung and extensive bleeding, having lost some 65 percent of his blood volume. A physician informed LeMond later that he had been within 20 minutes of bleeding to death. The operation saved his life, but four months later he developed a small bowel obstruction due to adhesions that had formed following the shooting. He underwent another surgery to relieve the obstruction and take down the adhesions.

With 35 shotgun pellets still in his body, including three in the lining of his heart and five more embedded in his liver, LeMond attempted to return to racing in 1988. His comeback was hampered by over-training which resulted in tendonitis in his right shin requiring surgery. LeMond missed the Tour for the second year running.”

Last edited:

Traveling Frog

There is MLS and that is the issue with streaming. ESPN and fox no longer make money so they don’t cover MLS. Apple has no sports page, scoreboards, ways to follow unless you pay for the games. The whole promotion of MLS soccer fell off a cliff with apple. If a streaming service is going to go all in on a sport they need a good way to promote it outside of a paid broadcast .

Purp

I ride bikes, but I was one of those who didn’t understand why you would watch people ride the long tours. But then Armstrong came along and I would stay home some mornings to watch it live during morning office hours. His greatness had my attention, but it turned out that former American winner, Greg LeMond, was correct all along—Armstrong’s extraordinary feats were not natural, he had to be doping.

As previously stated here, the Tour is live now at 1 am on the USA network. When Armstrong was racing, I thought it was live during our morning office hours, but maybe I was watching the first replay available here on those hooky mornings.

In the end, Armstrong and American Floyd Landis (he also won one and was stripped), and the entire sport really pissed me off. Armstrong was a huge butthead because he spent years defaming others that were telling the truth. I guess we can thank Landis some for coming forward, sheesh.

The only American winner, Greg LeMond, is a great story—he got blasted in the back and side torso with about 60 shotgun pellets during a turkey hunting accident in 1987 and had to recover from that before winning his second and third Tours (‘86, ‘89 and ‘90). I think he feels he could have another one or two if not for the toxic lead shot they could not remove.

“LeMond's injuries were life-threatening, but a police helicopter was already airborne near the scene and transported LeMond on a 15-minute air medical flight to the Medical Center at University of California-Davis. LeMond was taken for emergency surgery. He had suffered a pneumothorax to his right lung and extensive bleeding, having lost some 65 percent of his blood volume. A physician informed LeMond later that he had been within 20 minutes of bleeding to death. The operation saved his life, but four months later he developed a small bowel obstruction due to adhesions that had formed following the shooting. He underwent another surgery to relieve the obstruction and take down the adhesions.

With 35 shotgun pellets still in his body, including three in the lining of his heart and five more embedded in his liver, LeMond attempted to return to racing in 1988. His comeback was hampered by over-training which resulted in tendonitis in his right shin requiring surgery. LeMond missed the Tour for the second year running.”
The only reason the Lance Armstrong doping issue doesn't bother me (and same with Bonds and everyone in baseball) is because everyone competing was doing it. The only thing I discount from that era are the records compared with other eras, but Bonds was scorching baseballs against juiced pitchers (starters and relievers) just like he would have if none of them were juicing. Armstrong dominated cycling against people also juicing. His times are irrelevant to me, but I don't discount his victories as illegitimate. If everyone is doing it the only thing you're cheating is history.

Eight

The only reason the Lance Armstrong doping issue doesn't bother me (and same with Bonds and everyone in baseball) is because everyone competing was doing it. The only thing I discount from that era are the records compared with other eras, but Bonds was scorching baseballs against juiced pitchers (starters and relievers) just like he would have if none of them were juicing. Armstrong dominated cycling against people also juicing. His times are irrelevant to me, but I don't discount his victories as illegitimate. If everyone is doing it the only thing you're cheating is history.

this, not as if they were the only one's doing it

I understand your argument but think it is misplaced here. We don’t know that everyone was doping and the clean riders deserved a chance to win. I was a fan of Armstrong, but I don’t see how you can view those wins as justly earned. He won 7 in a row and did things which were unbelievable in the climbing stages, as LeMond stated, because he was doping and probably doping better than anyone else. History shows us it is highly unlikely he would have won 7, because it has never been done. And that streak of 7 after heavy doses of chemo to beat cancer that had invaded his entire body. Much more likely he would not have won any in a clean sport. He was not considered a competitor to win the Tour before his first win in 1999, he being more talented in shorter distance/sprints. He had not shown tour endurance.

Bottom line is that he and his team’s doping won the tour 7 years in a row, not Lance Armstrong. And here he confesses to beginning his doping at age 21 (1992-93) before the cancer or having won any major event.

Along the way he slandered a bunch of good people who called him out, while continuing to dope and win for 7 years. He was a complete fraud and I wasted a lot of time following the jerk, because I chose to believe him. I too can empathize with the competitive feeling of having to dope because many others did, but it does not make it a legitimate win. How about after winning one, then he and his team confess that they were doping to make a point to help clean up the sport, and then ride clean to try and win a legitimate one. Anything would have been better than continuing the lie and slander. I don’t know if it is the doping or lying slander that angered me more.

Barry Bonds—he transformed his body (and his big head) and game into a home run hitter by using the dope. He was a great player, and that stands, but his dope-induced homer numbers mean nothing because we reasonably know that he would not have been able to put up those numbers if it was a clean sport.

Last edited:

tcudoc

I understand your argument but think it is misplaced here. We don’t know that everyone was doping and any clean rider deserved a chance to win. I was a fan of Armstrong, but I don’t see how you can view those wins as justly earned. He won 7 in a row and did things that were unfathomable in the climbing stages, as LeMond stated, because he was doping and probably doping better than anyone else. History shows us it is highly unlikely he would have won 7, because it has never been done. And all 7 after heavy doses of chemo to beat cancer. Much more likely he would not have won any. He was not considered a competitor to win the Tour before the cancer and doping, he being more talented in shorter distance/sprints. He didn’t have tour endurance.

Bottom line is that he and his team’s doping won the tour 7 years in a row, not Lance Armstrong.

Along the way he slandered a bunch of good people who called him out, while continuing to dope for 7 years. He was a complete fraud and I wasted a lot of time following the jerk, because I chose to believe him. I can empathize with the competitive feeling of having to dope because many others did, but it does not make it a legitimate win. How about after winning one, then confessing that you were doping to make a point to help clean up the sport and then ride clean to try and win a legitimate one. Anything would have been better than continuing the lie.

And Barry Bonds transformed his body, including his big head, and game into a home run hitter by using the dope. He was a great player, and that stands, but his dope-induced homer numbers mean nothing because we logically know that he would not have been able to put up those numbers if it was a clean sport.
I feel the same way. I invested a ton in those yellow plastic bracelets that I planned to sell for profit after a couple of years.

Wimbledon—Spaniard, Carlos Alcaraz, is only 20 years old and a physically strong boy, and now has a Wimbledon title to go with last fall’s US Open Championship, and his #1 ranking. Wow. He beat the best ever, Djokovic, in five sets this morning and I missed it. Djokovic has 7 Wimbledon’s including the previous four. Bjorn Borg won five in-a-row from 1976-80.

Last edited: