• The KillerFrogs

Colorado Will Beat You!

Skobuffs85

Jk! I’m just hoping not to be terrible in 2023. But now that I have your attention…

I just booked a ticket package for TCU/CU in September and thought I’d drop by and say what’s up and pick your brains! I’ve never been to Texas or TCU so I’m pretty excited to come hang out. Any recommendations on things to do, places to stay near the stadium, restaurants etc.

I assume your fans won’t be like Texass fans and be inviting and make it a fun experience?

Tell me anything! I expect to lose but I’m going to check out the atmosphere.

Eight

Jk! I’m just hoping not to be terrible in 2023. But now that I have your attention…

I just booked a ticket package for TCU/CU in September and thought I’d drop by and say what’s up and pick your brains! I’ve never been to Texas or TCU so I’m pretty excited to come hang out. Any recommendations on things to do, places to stay near the stadium, restaurants etc.

I assume your fans won’t be like Texass fans and be inviting and make it a fun experience?

Tell me anything! I expect to lose but I’m going to check out the atmosphere.

so based upon what you wrote if we aren't like texas fans we should uninviting and make it a bad experience?

okay, screw off

CardFrog

You are correct we are not like Texas fans and for the most part I think you will find your experience and the fans at TCU to be welcoming. Prepare for the heat, its probably going to be as hot as anywhere you have been...Fort Worth is a big enough city to have anything you want but not overwhelming by any means. A lot depends upon where you are staying of course but its super easy to get around FW and lots to do near campus or downtown. Good luck this year but just not in your opener.

LVH

There is a restaurant called El Birria y Taqueria Cortez - its in Stop Six, a not so great area, but damn they make a Birria Pizza that is basically a giant pizza sized quesadilla with birria beef, consome, and lots of cheese that is cut up into pizza style slices. It's absolutely incredible. My rule of thumb is that the sketchier the Mexican Restaurant from the outside, the better. El Birria y Cortez isn't a gas station joint, but pretty much every gas station taco joint I've been to has been spot on. Great food and much cheaper than sit down places.

When it comes to BBQ the rule of thumb is the higher rated it is on sites like Yelp, the more overrated and expensive it is and the longer you will have to wait in line or you have to show up early. I find places like Angelos, Railhead and others are better bang for your buck. They may not be "craft" BBQ but you don't have to stand outside in line for an hour and pay a premium price for "craft" BBQ, which in my opinion "craft" BBQ is simply a gimmick to charge more for BBQ and has nothing to do with better quality or taste

Also an 11am kickoff means its going to be very hot. Maybe you will get lucky like Stanford did in 2008 and get a hurricane that comes through to cool things off a bit in exchange for getting drenched.

An-Cap Frog

Magnolia Area

Last edited:

An-Cap Frog

Crockett Street is fun...

Skobuffs85

You are correct we are not like Texas fans and for the most part I think you will find your experience and the fans at TCU to be welcoming. Prepare for the heat, its probably going to be as hot as anywhere you have been...Fort Worth is a big enough city to have anything you want but not overwhelming by any means. A lot depends upon where you are staying of course but its super easy to get around FW and lots to do near campus or downtown. Good luck this year but just not in your opener.
Yeah, the heat was the first thing I thought of. Thankfully, Colorado colors are black so it will be perfect! Lol thanks! I haven’t chosen a hotel yet, just got my ticket package and flight setup this morning.

Skobuffs85

There is a restaurant called El Birria y Taqueria Cortez - its in Stop Six, a not so great area, but damn they make a Birria Pizza that is basically a giant pizza sized quesadilla with birria beef, consome, and lots of cheese that is cut up into pizza style slices. It's absolutely incredible. My rule of thumb is that the sketchier the Mexican Restaurant from the outside, the better. El Birria y Cortez isn't a gas station joint, but pretty much every gas station taco joint I've been to has been spot on. Great food and much cheaper than sit down places.

When it comes to BBQ the rule of thumb is the higher rated it is on sites like Yelp, the more overrated and expensive it is and the longer you will have to wait in line or you have to show up early. I find places like Angelos, Railhead and others are better bang for your buck. They may not be "craft" BBQ but you don't have to stand outside in line for an hour and pay a premium price for "craft" BBQ, which in my opinion "craft" BBQ is simply a gimmick to charge more for BBQ and has nothing to do with better quality or taste

Also an 11am kickoff means its going to be very hot. Maybe you will get lucky like Stanford did in 2008 and get a hurricane that comes through to cool things off a bit in exchange for getting drenched.
Awesome! Thanks! I definitely want to get some BBQ as is my tradition in places known for it. Gotta compare it to St. Louis, Tennessee and Kansas City.

Skobuffs85

Crockett Street is fun...

Thanks for all the recommendations! I’m going to write these all down and do some research of where I can get to. It’s Labor Day weekend too so it should hopefully be a fun weekend all weekend.

Skobuffs85

Forget the Stop Six and northside recommendations. After the game go to Dutch's, right off the TCU campus, and get their Blue Cheese Hamburger. You'll fly back to Boulder satisfied.
There isn’t many things I dislike food wise but blue cheese is one of them lol. I’ll check out their menu though, we’re not leaving till Sunday night so I might need a place close by to hangout until everyone clears out.