• The KillerFrogs

Saarloos was a bad choice

PurpleBlood87

I’m not real hopeful about this season, but I hope CKS can make strides next year with recruitment.

It’s year two and it’s not as though we are in last place, but I think there were high expectations placed on Saarloos because he has been with the program for a long time and everyone thought he could just pick up where Schloss left off. It’s not that simple is it.

He really needs to focus on getting quality pitching next year. We’ve had success with transfers (Richardson and Davis in particular) perhaps that Avenue will be fruitful.
The best transfer is Fontenelle then Richardson followed by Davis. And it's a wide margin between Fontenelle and Davis.

NewFrogFan

Who are these prominent transfer pitchers?
Frogs lost Kade Morris, who was probably the top pitching transfer prospect, when he decided to stay at Nevada.
Vanderhei had a 6-plus ERA last season at Kansas. Had a great opener. Has had control issues (22 walks and 7 HBPs in 39.1 innings.
Hunter Hodges has been hurt most of the season.
Calvin Murray has worked one inning.
Sam Stoutenborough has a 4.50 ERA in 22 innings (23 Ks and only 8 walks).
I didn’t mention names on purpose, stats w/o results, are for………

MadFrog

I'm not down on Saarloos or the team.

I just said they were NOT a Top 25 team and they sure as hell shouldn't have been picked to win the B12 preseason.

This team is very young and should be much better next year. If Taylor and a few others leave for the draft, next season could be very pedestrian as well.

Saarloos has done a very average job. For a pitching guru, I'm concerned and he's confused.

I also said: The team has no fight. They have no get after your ass attitude!! They hug each other after a HR. (?????????)

Lightning in a bottle is possible.......but it sure as [ Finebaum ] ain't coming playing like this!!
If they play mamby pamby ball like the first 30 ish games, they ain't going to any post season.

There are a helluva lot of good teams in the country and the TCU crazy number of Strike Outs (Boyers has 42!), Errors, [ Finebaum ]ty pitching, mamby pamby hitting and a coach who leaves bad pitching in way too long instead of going to get them - will get you a seat in front of the TV for the post seasson
Lots of good points in your post. Never seen anyone in MLB hug each other after a HR. They should be high fiving and shouting. It is insanity to continue to let the same players play with the same results - like Boyers striking out at leadoff, like Brown walking way too many early in the game,etc. I just wish Porter Brown and Hunter Teplansky had stayed. They are having great seasons.

PurpleBlood87

I didn’t mention names on purpose, stats w/o results, are for………
My point was none of the pitching transfers were that prominent. Other than Hodges, who has been hurt most of the season, and Morris, who never made it here.
The majority of the prominent arms are attached to Freshmen.

East Coast

Tier 1
Lots of good points in your post. Never seen anyone in MLB hug each other after a HR. They should be high fiving and shouting. It is insanity to continue to let the same players play with the same results - like Boyers striking out at leadoff, like Brown walking way too many early in the game,etc. I just wish Porter Brown and Hunter Teplansky had stayed. They are having great seasons.
Brown had some good reasons for leaving. With Teplansky, what makes you think he would have been given a chance by our staff? It's 100% on TCU that he left.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Lots of teams have "signature" rituals. If our guys like to hug after a home run, fine. I'd like them to do it a lot more. If it were up to me, it would be a business-like handshake, but...

I can remember in years past when a bad streak persisted, there was a players-only team meeting to air everything out and renew their fire. Haven't heard about anything like that this season. Maybe LVH has a point about Travel Ball and burnout...

hometown frog

have read comments before about teplansky, but who would he be playing in front of right now?
Right. He wasn’t beating out Silva once Anthony stated he was coming to TCU and not the draft. Then once we got Tre from Baylor, I don’t think he was gonna beat him out either. So Teplansky would have been a dude without a position still.

Teplansky could have certainly filled in for our DH issues if he hits like he has at Baylor; but that’s no guarantee if he’s not getting the daily game reps he’s getting in Waco. (And I doubt he starts the season as the primary DH here w Bishop and Byrne sitting in the dugout. So he wouldn’t have taken over the main DH role until this month in my mind.)

tetonfrog

I hope CKS and the Frogs can rally during the last month of this season, but who knows? Truthfully, our baseball team's "struggles" go back years. Since Schloss' Frogs made their CWS trip in 2017, they have not made it past the NCAA regionals whether it was in Ft. Worth, Arkansas or College Station.

I am not ready to call CKS a bad hire, but he will need to add some impact players this offseason via the portal and recruiting regardless of how we finish.

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
Roger Staubach died of a drug overdose? That's news to me.

Jimi Hendrix also didn't die of a drug overdose. He choked to death on his own vomit while passed out. Get your facts straight Afterbirth.
Spoken like a true liberal. Forget the truth and the facts and spin it to make it sound better.

He had taken 18 times the recommended dose of a sleeping pill. If you choke on your own vomit because your comatose on drugs.....call it whatever you want.

Last edited: