• The KillerFrogs

2023 TCU football schedule

Eight

Brutal finish to the season. Talk about a back-loaded schedule…but might be good with so many new faces in key roles.

would far prefer a back loaded schedule for a team that is replacing key pieces than a front loaded one and after having no real periods of rest in the schedule last year the frogs have 9-10 days between the game at kstate and going to lubbock and then 9 games before hosting texas

only two back to back road games, in all honesty this isn't a bad schedule w wvu, byu, baylor, and texas at home

Last edited:

TCUdirtbag

Truth be told - it’s all in how you look at it. We should start 7-0 and roll into Manhattan for a huge game

Week 1: vs COLORADO
Week 2: vs NICHOLS
Week 3: @ HOUSTON
Week 4: vs SMU
Week 5: vs WEST VIRGINIA
Week 6: @ IOWA STATE
Week 7: vs BYU
— (don’t think so myself but this is the only possible “trap” game)

If this program has established the culture we think it has under Dykes, this schedule really builds nicely over the first two months. With so many new skill players we should still be favored in ALL of these first 7 games and we should win them to start 7-0 (4-0). When you are turning over so much roster, this ain’t all bad. I like it. But [ Finebaum ] is about to get real:

Week 8: @ KANSAS STATE
—(Anxious to see their schedule and week 7 opponent [please no bye]. This will be a huge game.)

Week 9: BYE

Week 10: @ TEXAS TECH (Thursday)
— (Fairly certain they’ll have a week 9 bye as well.)

IMO weeks 8-10 are the most important of our whole season. If we start 7-0 as we should, can we win a huge game in Manhattan, get some guys healthy, and go win a rivalry game on a Thursday night? If so, everything left is ours for the taking. One thing I love about this schedule is there are NO trap games in weeks 8-13. We should never be caught looking ahead.

Week 11: vs TEXAS
— (Enjoy. Last time we host ‘em … possibly ever? Certainly for a while. Couple extra days to prep unless they have a Week 10 bye, which I doubt.)

Week 12: vs BAYLOR
Week 13: @ OKLAHOMA (Friday)
— (Not my preference at all to face them here. In fact I thought we’d avoid them this year. Oh well.)
Week 14: BIG 12 CHAMPIONSHIP
— (Book it.)

Pluses and minuses. Can’t afford injuries in late October - but that’s always true. Kaz has also established a healthier roster. I think we’ll be okay.

Now, if this team is “average”, November could suck as a fan. But if this team is above average it could be a freaking blast.

TCUdirtbag

I will say, on the negative end, In terms of competitive balance this could be a tough draw. Missing UCF Cinci, a down OSU, and a mediocre Kansas team (would’ve been in FW) kind of stinks in the sense we will face ALL the likely conference title contenders, including KSU and OU on the road.

Traveling Frog

I will say, on the negative end, In terms of competitive balance this could be a tough draw. Missing UCF Cinci, a down OSU, and a mediocre Kansas team (would’ve been in FW) kind of stinks in the sense we will face ALL the likely conference title contenders, including KSU and OU on the road.
At this point I would consider OSU the worst of the “old” big 12 members. They lost everything good and gained very little

Frogs1983

Truth be told - it’s all in how you look at it. We should start 7-0 and roll into Manhattan for a huge game

Week 1: vs COLORADO
Week 2: vs NICHOLS
Week 3: @ HOUSTON
Week 4: vs SMU
Week 5: vs WEST VIRGINIA
Week 6: @ IOWA STATE
Week 7: vs BYU
— (don’t think so myself but this is the only possible “trap” game)

If this program has established the culture we think it has under Dykes, this schedule really builds nicely over the first two months. With so many new skill players we should still be favored in ALL of these first 7 games and we should win them to start 7-0 (4-0). When you are turning over so much roster, this ain’t all bad. I like it. But [ Finebaum ] is about to get real:

Week 8: @ KANSAS STATE
—(Anxious to see their schedule and week 7 opponent [please no bye]. This will be a huge game.)

Week 9: BYE

Week 10: @ TEXAS TECH (Thursday)
— (Fairly certain they’ll have a week 9 bye as well.)

IMO weeks 8-10 are the most important of our whole season. If we start 7-0 as we should, can we win a huge game in Manhattan, get some guys healthy, and go win a rivalry game on a Thursday night? If so, everything left is ours for the taking. One thing I love about this schedule is there are NO trap games in weeks 8-13. We should never be caught looking ahead.

Week 11: vs TEXAS
— (Enjoy. Last time we host ‘em … possibly ever? Certainly for a while. Couple extra days to prep unless they have a Week 10 bye, which I doubt.)

Week 12: vs BAYLOR
Week 13: @ OKLAHOMA (Friday)
— (Not my preference at all to face them here. In fact I thought we’d avoid them this year. Oh well.)
Week 14: BIG 12 CHAMPIONSHIP
— (Book it.)

Pluses and minuses. Can’t afford injuries in late October - but that’s always true. Kaz has also established a healthier roster. I think we’ll be okay.

Now, if this team is “average”, November could suck as a fan. But if this team is above average it could be a freaking blast.
Thursday night at Lubbock will be tough. Those fans will be liquored up big time. Will be a very hostile environment.

CountryFrog

I know we're all supposed to immediately analyze the difficulty of the schedule, but there are almost certainly a couple teams on there that we don't think will be that tough that will end up being very good and a couple that we think are going to be very tough games that end up being a cakewalk. That's the way it goes with almost every schedule every year. Trying to determine SOS on January 30 is a fool's errand but of course what the hell else are we going to talk about on here so I get it.

I know that there's a lot of momentum with thinking Tech will be really good next year. Maybe they will. But I also wouldn't be surprised if they're the exact same Tech team that they've been for about the last 7 years and we roll in there and win handily. We're also all assuming that OU will be back to the old OU. And again, maybe they will. But if Dillon Gabriel is still their QB and that defense isn't light years better than what it was last year then that could also end up being not as difficult as we all think right now.

Of course in the interest of fairness I also have to consider the possibility that maybe TCU ends up not being as good as we all hope and none of this [ Finebaum ] matters anyway. Regardless, one thing we know for certain is that Texas will be an easy W.

Limey Frog

Brutal finish to the season. Talk about a back-loaded schedule…but might be good with so many new faces in key roles.
Not as brutal as this year. Baylor and Texas are home at least.

Lubbock on a Thursday looks like a loss. Bullying BYU again will be nice. WVU should be a beatable mess. UH will be keyed up for their first Big 12 game, but they should also give up 50-70 points. Overall it's a great schedule that the team can grow into.