• The KillerFrogs

The Comeback: CFB world reacts to questionable TCU hire

TCURiggs

a lot of arkansas fans wanted him gone. they had some games where there was just some screwy play calling. not that those games would have been won, but ark fans were not as behind him as some here want to claim. I spend a lot of time up there. It was getting to circle the firing squad vs the wagons time up there. (which is not a new thing for that fanbase). The Buzz became unlistenable due to those calling in. It was like they highjacked finebaum callers ... from when he was local in Bama.

You can form whatever narrative you want based on a few conversations with some fans, perusing the message boards, or whatever, but plenty of their fans, and their administration, wanted to keep him/extended him. My good buddy/colleague played at Arkansas under Petrino and hates that they lost him. You're really trying too hard if you can't honestly admit how good of an offensive coach he is. Like his Dad, who I loathe, they can coach TF out of some offense. I really don't think that's debatable. We'll see if it works here, but it's worked everywhere else (from an offensive standpoint).

Wexahu

As others have mentioned, other schools that hired him were not so criticized. And you do have to be foolish to think this is not in part about "keep the little guys down and protect the blue bloods" agenda. We saw that when ESPN handed Herbstreit a line about how we could not hang with the BIG 10 and we had just beat their champs a week earlier. Kirby's face when he realized what they were priming him to say and how it was against recent facts pretty much revealed it.

Those other schools hired him also when they did not have as many wins. So they were not being viewed as much as we have been this year. TCU Admin should have kept that thought in mind. Maybe they did, maybe the did not.

Regardless, those who say it won't be a pr hit are not paying attention. The very fact that articles are being posted showing folks critical of the hire, shows it is a PR hit. Now we have to ride that out and not compound it. Perhaps the photo of tapefingers on a jet was not a good social media strategy.
Can someone please post the blip where KH said we couldn’t hang with the Big 10. Could’ve swore he said the “elite teams of the SEC” but I could be wrong.

Mean Purple

I wonder how much they improved in points scored. I’ll dig it up later.
One would hope that what they had this past season was a drop off. you want to compare that to the conf competition generally. I am not a big fan of just basing it on the stat number alone. ex: total points. the reporter types always look at the scoring efficiency when talking about it.

Sangria Wine

I think some of you don't realize how little most people outside of TCU and FW care about TCU. Y'all see blowback and a PR hit because we look at all things TCU, but most CFB fans don't care (or even know) about this. This is a blip on the radar at the national level and a group of our own fans are the only one's that are making a big deal out of it. It'll get a little coverage and be done with.

Like other's have said, KB is/was pretty highly coveted as an OC and lots of schools (and their fan bases) wanted to hire him. Hell, my neighborhood OU buddies have been talking about how great of a hire it is, Arkansas fans wanted to keep him, Miss St fans wanted to hire him, etc...
EXACTLY! 90% of college football fans don’t even know we lost our prior OC or hired a new one.

BleedNPurple

ESPN absolutely does not want a small school without a very very large fan base to crash their god almighty club. Not one blow back on his hire at Houston or elsewhere only TCU. Open your eyes. Chris Childers on ESPN's full ride proclaimed TCU had no business in the playoffs this year. Not a mention of the win over Michigan. I believe they are told what to say by ESPN. The cartel that is college football will continue to be the blue blood programs until schools like TCU continue winning something they will try to stop at all costs
Best thing we can do is crash the party again next year and win the whole thing. Let them shove that in their pipe and smoke it! How do you like me now?

TAINTed frog

I think some of you don't realize how little most people outside of TCU and FW care about TCU. Y'all see blowback and a PR hit because we look at all things TCU, but most CFB fans don't care (or even know) about this. This is a blip on the radar at the national level and a group of our own fans are the only one's that are making a big deal out of it. It'll get a little coverage and be done with.

Like other's have said, KB is/was pretty highly coveted as an OC and lots of schools (and their fan bases) wanted to hire him. Hell, my neighborhood OU buddies have been talking about how great of a hire it is, Arkansas fans wanted to keep him, Miss St fans wanted to hire him, etc...
Exactly. The hire makes me cringe quite a bit and am still trying to reconcile the past 11 days which have been a real whirlwind.

I follow CFB pretty closely and again, I didn’t even know Kendal was the OC at Arkansas until over a year after he was hired when they were playing Texas. Has they not played Texas who knows how long it would have been before I knew.

No one outside the TCU bubble cares about this hire. Maybe some Baylor folks and others who want to rub it in our face due to the rivalry and all the things our fans said about the Baylor incident. But other than that, no one cares and if they do, certainly won’t in less than month.

Mean Purple

So, their losses were all on the offensive side of the ball? The defense didn’t have a hand in any of it?
I'll relate this to the other response this got. Sure, points are products of yards. But when a team finishes the reg season and they look at conf stats and they are in the upper third in yardage, and in the lower half of scoring, there is a gap. Then you look at what defenses were really worth they played in different games, and make the judgement. offensive styles can play into that as well. how does the qb handled down in the red zone, etc? turnovers, etc. but play calling comes into play as well. In the end, this will be SC's offense planned.

Frogs9080

Did the world react when he was hired at:
Florida Atlantic?
Houston?
Florida State?
Arkansas?

But it’s questionable hire now?
Perfectly said. It’s fine when the blue bloods do it, but when tcu does it, all hell breaks loose. The feign outrage has reached a level only matched by the covid lunacy. The takes are utter insanity

TCURiggs

I'll relate this to the other response this got. Sure, points are products of yards. But when a team finishes the reg season and they look at conf stats and they are in the upper third in yardage, and in the lower half of scoring, there is a gap. Then you look at what defenses were really worth they played in different games, and make the judgement. offensive styles can play into that as well. how does the qb handled down in the red zone, etc? turnovers, etc. but play calling comes into play as well. In the end, this will be SC's offense planned.

giphy.gif

Again, you're just reaching if you're trying to piece stats together to act like KB isn't a good OC. At the end of the day, all of the offenses he's been in charge of had marked improvement over what he inherited. Like his old man, hate him as we do, they know how to coach that side of the ball and get results.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
giphy.gif

Again, you're just reaching if you're trying to piece stats together to act like KB isn't a good OC. At the end of the day, all of the offenses he's been in charge of had marked improvement over what he inherited. Like his old man, hate him as we do, they know how to coach that side of the ball and get results.
No question he is a good OC/QB coach.