• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: BREAKING: TCU hires Kendal Briles as new offensive coordinator

HF98

KB may be a good OC. He may deserve the benefit of the doubt, but this is a hire that comes with some baggage. We’ve officially invited the whole rape discussion into the program. I sure hope it’s worth it.

eh0215

KB may be a good OC. He may deserve the benefit of the doubt, but this is a hire that comes with some baggage. We’ve officially invited the whole rape discussion into the program. I sure hope it’s worth it.
Thats why I dont get the hire. Unforced error.

Say a player does something to get into trouble along these lines. Sonny is toast. Even if he handles the situation perfectly, with Kendall on staff, its over in court of public opinion and TCU football as an institution is reduced to Baylor status.

It's choosing to walk through a minefield.

Rifframbahzoo20

We have always been liked by the general public for what we overcame coming from the WAC all the way up to the Big 12. We are not going to be well liked anymore by serious college football fans. Of course most “college football fans” have never even heard the name Art Briles before but people who pay attention to it have.

Zubaz

But in your example he was addressing one DMN article about one of the rape accusations. You haven’t argued against any of the points made because you can’t
Yes, you can very easily refute that nonsense. Go back to the 2016 threads where that garbage was torn to shreds and Baylor was a laughingstock for trying to pull that crap. We were America's favorite college football team that week for demolishing them during the CAB game.

TCU forums defending Art friggin Briles. You can't make it up.
And it was signed off on by Kaz and Buckes and the entire staff.
I don't think either of them should be on our staff either.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
We have always been liked by the general public for what we overcame coming from the WAC all the way up to the Big 12. We are not going to be well liked anymore by serious college football fans. Of course most “college football fans” have never even heard the name Art Briles before but people who pay attention to it have.
That’s just silly

Mean Purple

Yes, you can very easily refute that nonsense. Go back to the 2016 threads where that garbage was torn to shreds and Baylor was a laughingstock for trying to pull that crap. We were America's favorite college football team that week for demolishing them during the CAB game.

TCU forums defending Art friggin Briles. You can't make it up.

I don't think either of them should be on our staff either.
Agreed. This is like some alternate universe.

Frog Attack II

Well, good ol" Coarch Sark has some baggage... not like AB, but still. To say UT wouldn't stoop is probably not correct... just about everyone does. Let's watch to see where Beard goes next in a year.

Chongo94

One of the things that I really haven’t seen mentioned in all this, is that it seems, to me, as a bit of a “good ol boy” hire. I mean, did we even seriously look at or think about any other candidates? Doesn’t seem like it.

I was hoping we had gotten away from that type of hiring mentality when Patterson left but it certainly doesn’t look like it.

Last edited:

CountryFrog

Different world. Same reason Texas won’t touch KB. In State and in conference this is bad PR.
Are you advocating that PR within the state of Texas should be top of mind when making coaching hires?

I think we hired a guy to run the football program and need to let him run his football program. One of the reasons the previous coach lost his job is because of how badly he handled the staff. One of the reasons Dykes is here is because he has a track record of doing a phenomenal job with his staff. Putting aside anything you may not like about KB's track record, let's take a look at Sonny's track record in this area. He's the guy in charge and he's never had any issues in the past that should make any of us not trust his decision making.

CountryFrog

One of the things that I really haven’t seen mentioned in all this, is that it seems, to me, as a bit of a “good ol boy” hire. I mean did. we even seriously look at or think about any other candidates? Doesn’t seem like it.

I was hoping we had gotten away from that type of hiring mentality when Patterson left but it certainly doesn’t look like it.
I'm pretty sure Kendal is the only guy on the staff that Sonny has a past personal history with. Idon't know that for certain so feel free to fact check me there. But i do know this staff isn't chalk full of all of Sonny's friends and former players. And KB is a legit coordinator who has been sought after by several major programs over the last 5 years.

This isn't even in the same ballpark as what Gary was doing with his staff.

Prime BEEF

One of the things that I really haven’t seen mentioned in all this, is that it seems, to me, as a bit of a “good ol boy” hire. I mean did. we even seriously look at or think about any other candidates? Doesn’t seem like it.

Most of the hirings so far have been stephenville/Briles connections. With the exception of Kaz, they weren’t clearly better than other options imo. It is fair and reasonable to think the next hirings will also be Briles connections too. There is definitely a pattern now.

hometown frog

Yep, Sonny's known the family for years. He knows the drill and this is what he wants. He knows the consequences and he feels the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. Who are we to doubt the man who just took TCU to the NC game?
So here’s my beef w that line of thinking. W Sonny’s personal ties to the Briles family and Kendal himself, that’s almost exactly why someone else should step in and force the decisions.

Different circumstances but the same basic ‘family friends’ blind spot helped allow JoePa to allow Sandusky to continue his evil actions for years within the program and did nothing to stop it.